advice needed

I am currently working for a company that puts my life at risk, i have a family and rely on my income and obviously my licence to support my family, the company I now work for at first glance, seemed to pay well, before tax I am on £125 a day, most of the time I drive a luton size van, but on occasion I do drive the‎ 7.5 ton hire vehicle. A usual day in the luton starts at 4am and I consider myself lucky if I am home before 8pm, many a time I have got home after 2200, we run two lutons, and this is the same with the other driver. with the 7.5 ton I am paired with another driver, who works Tues wed Thurs. I am fully aware of current driving laws, and know that they are asking us to break the rules, when our driving time runs out, we are told to take our cards out, on one occasion, we took the 7.5 vehicle out, and the other driver, took the luton, when my drive time was used up, we were told to swap. As the luton has no tacho, then swapped back, we personally completed 36 hours driving, no sleep with manual labour on our breaks.Â
On many occasions I have driven tired, and scared myself by how dangerous it is, on complaining I have been told “it’s up to you, but the job needs doing” leaving in no uncertain terms that I will lose my job if I don’t do it.
I have even shown my supervisor and boss the current driving regs and have been labeled a trouble maker.
I’m asking now, can I report this company without risking losing my license or am I as culpable as the employer? I’ve already made the decision to leave, and have an interview on Tuesday.

I would say move on mate.

I’d keep your gob shut till you’ve left at least. Then you could maybe do it anonymously but your in the frame for this as well so id just leave & keep my mouth shut as you are implicated as well!

If you’ve broken the rules to the extent you say you have then I would say you are as guilty as the company, you could have said no but instead chose to comply with the companies instructions.

That may seem unfair but I think you’ll find it’s the way the authorities would see it, move on as soon as you can.

Good luck with the interview :wink:

GTFO …Pure and simple. There are other van driving jobs out there. :confused:

If you grass on them and they’re investigated and you’ve ran as bent as you said expect a letter in the post. Dvsa when was vosa told me if you’ve ran bent there’s no leniency for grassing someone up and they’ll treat everyone breaking the law the same, if you’ve got friends or nasty folk working there that find out they’re in court thanks to you they may seek revenge, worth a thought.
These firms want shutting down but look after number one here, I wouldn’t of got that vindicated personally but you live and learn :slight_smile:

Catch 22 your as guilty as the Company by co-operating with their request,look for another job even if its a bit less money,because if you get done what extra you have earnt will go on fines.

No offence matey but the more people like yourself the more places like yours do & expect it of everyone. You’re knowingly breaking the law in an area where " my boss told me to do it" just doesn’t work.

Yep, move on but keep schtum.

As an aside, what the hell are VOSA, whatever they are called this week, doing?

As others have said,get out of Dodge and run.
Before somebody is killed.Falling asleep at the wheel only takes half a second.
The brain shuts down.In that time you can travel a long way.
I would not report them.
With paper trails,Police/Dvsa will trace all the drivers movements and which vehicles location and times by using garage fuel court cctv.
Bank records by checking receipts on items bought and at what place and time.
Fuel receipts and Anpr cameras on the roads.
Customers signing paperwork.
Google Boyles transport.Currently serving five years for tacho fraud and forgery.Assets seized.If the fine is not paid,jail time is increased.
Their drivers were driving 21 hours with no rest.The tacho machines were thrown away in the bin.See above for the paper trail.

They only do it because they are allowed to and because drivers are stupid enough to co.operate and comply with it.
A few pairs of testicles and one or two backbones would sort the job out :bulb:
If drivers willingly bend over and take it up the tradesmans without question, then they will carry on with it for as long as they can get away with it, it aint rocket science ffs :unamused:
Sorry to be harsh mate but it never ceases to amaze me how and why people just won’t stand up for themselves these days.

Thanks lads, you’ve pretty much confirmed for me that I’m making the right choice in going.
And that a Doyle for doing it in the first place!

Find another job soon as, say nowt, because if youve done as you say the ministry will be just as interested in you as your boss, just because ypuve spilled the beans don`t mean they will leave you alone.

Bikernut43, if i were you,i would record all the activity in a diary and appoint some legal advice in case the brown stuff hits the fan.
Free advice from Citizens Advice Bureau or CAB.
You may get legal aid but the rules have changed for that due to abuse of the system.
Any digital tacho activity will stay on for a year if downloaded from the machine.
If it was analogue old style disc charts,i would bin those.
Leave them on good terms.
It seems they have no Operating licence and if they did have one and invited for tea and biscuits with a Traffic Commisioner, they have the power to take the O licence,reduce their fleet and ban drivers from driving with heavy fines and penalty points.Or remove a driving licence for a long time.Or shut the firm down.No regard for other road users under public safety regulations.

bikernut43:
Thanks lads, you’ve pretty much confirmed for me that I’m making the right choice in going.
And that a Doyle for doing it in the first place!

We all make mistakes dude. Live & learn, job done.

Leave NOW!!! Get another job then report them in a couple of months - or PM me and I’ll report them!!

Get out quick before the accident you have one day because you fell asleep results in tasting hospital food for a while, closely followed by a stretch inside and then maybe the rest of your life in a wheelchair.

I’d finish my final day of employment by coincidentally having a one vehicle accident that could be attributed to falling asleep at the wheel, preferably whilst the vehicle is loaded so the goods being carried get buggered up too. Pulling up on a verge where there’s a ditch and slowly letting it roll into said ditch as you jump from the drivers seat should be good enough.

What ■■■■■■ me off is how the ■■■■ cow boy operators like this can still get away with it in 2014.
Putting others at risk just to satisfy their own ends, worse then thieves IMO.
They need some hard justice dished out on em and throw away the bloody key.

cav551:
Get out quick before the accident you have one day because you fell asleep results in tasting hospital food for a while, closely followed by a stretch inside and then maybe the rest of your life in a wheelchair.

Or worse, killing some other poor innocent sod in the process!

The firm should be named and shamed or be on TV for Rogue Traders.