Advice needed

Hello there
As the thread’s title suggests I need some advice from the pro’s who use this forum.
My question Is that what would you do if your destination was 4 ½ hours away without traffic? And then obviously another 4 ½ back. 9 hours driving, but that’s without traffic. Add approx 20 to 30 min each way for road works, traffic and all that. What would you do?
4.5 driving, destination, 4.5 driving, break, 1 hour driving to base?
or next time would you refuse to do the shift?

BigT_Burnley:
Hello there
As the thread’s title suggests I need some advice from the pro’s who use this forum.
My question Is that what would you do if your destination was 4 ½ hours away without traffic? And then obviously another 4 ½ back. 9 hours driving, but that’s without traffic. Add approx 20 to 30 min each way for road works, traffic and all that. What would you do?

You can do it twice.

It shouldn’t be planned like that, but give it a go and see how it goes.

:smiley:

thanks mate.

By do it twice, you know I mean upto 10hrs driving don’t you??

Upto 15hrs work time (9hrs daily break) 3 times per week too.

You should be ok, they won’t normally ask you to do anything that’ll leave you and their goods stranded tbh

BigT_Burnley:
Hello there

As I see it there are three options, 1) assuming there’s enough work time arrange for someone to be prepared to pick you up if you run out of driving time, 2) Go prepared for a night out, 3) refuse to do the run and accept any possible consequences.

Personally I’d probably go for 1 or 2, or 3 if I didn’t really want the job :wink:

waynedl:
By do it twice, you know I mean upto 10hrs driving don’t you??

Upto 15hrs work time (9hrs daily break) 3 times between weekly rest periods.

You should be ok, they won’t normally ask you to do anything that’ll leave you and their goods stranded tbh

FTFY. You’re welcome. :wink:

I wouldn’t refuse the shift, I would go prepared for the possibility of a night out or being recovered if I had enough duty time available.

Knowing it was going to need more than 9 hours driving I wouldn’t do 4.5 - break - 4.5 - break - 1. I would do something like 3 to 3.5 - break - 3 to 3.5 (with the delivery interrupting that) - break - remaining driving time.

thanks guys, i appreciate the help.

I second Coffe,

do 3 to 3.5 you are planning for roadworks jams etc, but if you did a 3 and hit a tail back you could hope off at services for a 45 and hopefully it will of cleared a bit, still take night out gear to be on safe side.

Good luck either way.

discoman:
I second Coffe,

do 3 to 3.5 you are planning for roadworks jams etc, but if you did a 3 and hit a tail back you could hope off at services for a 45 and hopefully it will of cleared a bit, still take night out gear to be on safe side.

Good luck either way.

hi there in Austraila, lol
my truck tomtom [7100] says about 4 hour 15 min, i checked my route several times on ukhaulier.co.uk/routeplanner.asp as a cross reference, it too says the same. about 4 hour 30 min is about right. but its a night shift so the roads are clear. but i still can hit traffic cant i? so i just need a heads of on all the " what if" scenarios.

BigT_Burnley:
my truck tomtom [7100] says about 4 hour 15 min, i checked my route several times on ukhaulier.co.uk/routeplanner.asp as a cross reference, it too says the same. about 4 hour 30 min is about right. but its a night shift so the roads are clear. but i still can hit traffic cant i? so i just need a heads of on all the " what if" scenarios.

Mate don’t worry about the “what ifs” just do it :wink:

I would run as far as I could and if it looks like I wasn’t going to make the destination aim to stop for the first break at around 3.5 to 4 hours driving time, if you’re likely to be in roadworks around that time stop sooner.

Continue to the drop and set off back as soon as you can then have your second break at around 3.5 to 4 hours driving time from the first break, again this will depend on where you’re likely to be at that time.

As we don’t know where you’re are or where you’re going no-one can give precise advise on the best places to stop, but what I’ve always done on runs like that is to waste as little time as possible and get as far as I could between breaks, obviously you shouldn’t cut it too fine in case you can’t find anywhere to stop.

Good luck.

LoL Hey T I think i know this company mate . :laughing: .is it the one in wigan that i told Jav if he sends me there again i will flatten his nose :open_mouth: like the lads say you can use the 10 hr rule (just ) by the sounds of things … But if its looking tight on time then Phone them and ask for a driver to meet you .Dont fotget ITS YOUR LICENCE MATE . And mine took a lot of getting T so i would not put it at risk for anyone …Also dont forget about the weather so take a night out bag anyway T just in case The Planners at that Company
a ) DONT THINK ABOUT ROADWORKS & TRAFFIC (they only Drive cars)
b) WONT EVEN THINK ABOUT THE TRAVEL WARNING (Whilst sat in there nice warm office with a cup of coffee) Thats why its Agency work they cant keep drivers .
on AOL This morning LOOK
Forecasters have warned of icy conditions as many Britons head back to work after a weekend of snow.
The Met Office has issued nine severe weather alerts, warning ice could be a hazard on roads and pavements across much of England and south-east Wales.

Best of luck Bro :wink:

BigT_Burnley:

discoman:
I second Coffe,

Good luck either way.

I think you have your head screwed on, nights are so much easier less traffic, im a brit in exile lol,(london boy at heart) I do miss driving over in UK jams at night will onyl be when the motorways are down to one lane for roadworks etc.,

don’t be defeated before you start give it your best shot…hey ho