Advice Needed

I parked up my Company Lorry 2 weeks ago on the friday (18ton tipper) around the corner from my house knowing that my Boss didnt want the vehicles parked on the street, and came out early saturday Morning with my back light broken, and metal mudguard pushed into to rear tyres. The Vehicle that drove into the back of me whilst i was sleeping indoors was parked in the middle of the road infront of my lorry without a driver, but with a piece of paper with a name and address on it. After i bent the mudguard straight i cable tied the light back up, replaced the bulbs and went off to do my work. I Didnt say anything to my boss, but contacted the owner of the vehicle who was willing to pay for a new Rear light for the lorry, so i thought sweet. Last Friday the lorry had to go in for a pre M.o.t and check up, with M.o.t on the 3rd day, but the mechanic doing the work had spotted that the lorry had taken a shunt of a car and also said the the rear outside wheel had to be replaced too as it was bent, and was an M.O.T Failure. I don’t know how true this is, but i do know that he wants to charge £350.00 for a new Rear wheel, back Light including Labour. I just wanted to know if the Insurance for the Lorry would be “Void” as the vehicle was parked on a side street with an overnight waiting ban on. I have also found out that the guy that hit me at 12:30 on the friday night didnt collect his vehicle until 7:30 saturday morning, and also know somebody who was drinking with him the same night he drove into my stationary vehicle. So im at the point now where should i pay for the damage myself, or should i tell my Boss (2 weeks later) about what happend?? Any Advice would be very much Appreciated.

'Ent you a naughty boy. It sounds to me your in for a kicking on more than one front.
Illegally parked and not informing the boss straight away.

I suspect your insurance is invalid as you were parked illegally.
A few years back an old mate of mine crashed into a parked car at night that was facing the wrong way. The insurance companies argued the toss in court and the judge held the owner of the illegally parked car accountable, even though he was parked in a legal spot during the day but after lighting up time he was parked facing the wrong way round.

I expect ROG, coffeeholic or one of the other gurus will be on in a min’ with all the technical details etc etc.

You are either going to be a lot out of pocket or come clean to your boss.

Honesty is usually the best policy in most cases.

Many Thanks for the Reply’s and And Advice Chaps. I think i know what has to been done now… :blush:

Were you parked illegally :question:

kenno78:
Many Thanks for the Reply’s and And Advice Chaps. I think i know what has to been done now… :blush:

But don’t expect the boss to totally understanding and have a sympathetic ear after 2 weeks, he’ll probably implode :exclamation: :open_mouth: . As if you had owned up/told him when it happened all those weeks ago, boss probably could have got it sorted before sending it for an MOT which i’m guessing it promptly failed costing him money :exclamation: :neutral_face: .

Yes you’ve probably dug your self a mighty big hole but borrow the TNUK miracle spade and you’ll be fine. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

On a serious note just explain why you didn’t report it to him in the first place, we’ve all done things which we have probably not told the boss about :blush: :blush: :exclamation: :exclamation: — your not the first and wont be the last, so don’t worry to much, sure your boss will understand. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

A tipper you say? is it a really dirty one? just say it’s all the shunting around on sites that’s done it and you never even knew about the wheel

At the end of the day, you sorted the mud guard and lights out with everything else appearing to be normal. Why bother your boss when as far as you were concerned, you had done any leg work that needed to be done?

It may have been a wise move to tell him at the time though. Hey, too late now and after all, crap (not my chosen word) happens. :laughing:

ROG:

kenno78:
I parked up my Company Lorry 2 weeks ago on the friday (18ton tipper) around the corner from my house knowing that my Boss didnt want the vehicles parked on the street, and came out early saturday Morning with my back light broken, and metal mudguard pushed into to rear tyres. The Vehicle that drove into the back of me whilst i was sleeping indoors was parked in the middle of the road infront of my lorry without a driver, but with a piece of paper with a name and address on it. After i bent the mudguard straight i cable tied the light back up, replaced the bulbs and went off to do my work. I Didnt say anything to my boss, but contacted the owner of the vehicle who was willing to pay for a new Rear light for the lorry, so i thought sweet. Last Friday the lorry had to go in for a pre M.o.t and check up, with M.o.t on the 3rd day, but the mechanic doing the work had spotted that the lorry had taken a shunt of a car and also said the the rear outside wheel had to be replaced too as it was bent, and was an M.O.T Failure. I don’t know how true this is, but i do know that he wants to charge £350.00 for a new Rear wheel, back Light including Labour. I just wanted to know if the Insurance for the Lorry would be “Void” as the vehicle was parked on a side street with an overnight waiting ban on. I have also found out that the guy that hit me at 12:30 on the friday night didnt collect his vehicle until 7:30 saturday morning, and also know somebody who was drinking with him the same night he drove into my stationary vehicle. So im at the point now where should i pay for the damage myself, or should i tell my Boss (2 weeks later) about what happend?? Any Advice would be very much Appreciated.

redboxer850:

ROG:

kenno78:

ROG slipping with his observation skills :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: , considering who he is should we be worried :question: , or just put it down to one of his TNUK senior moments :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

By parking up at your home, especially with an overnight ban on, you risk your bosses O licence as well.

Good job BB dont live down that street :exclamation: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

Out of curiosity and interest how come you had to/decided to park your truck up in the street with the waiting ban when you knew your boss didn’t want that in the first place■■?

Lets hope residents didn’t complain to trading standards :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: .

ROG:

kenno78:
I just wanted to know if the Insurance for the Lorry would be “Void” as the vehicle was parked on a side street with an overnight waiting ban on.

pecjam23:
ROG slipping with his observation skills :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: , considering who he is should we be worried :question: , or just put it down to one of his TNUK senior moments :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I did not not see it the first time cos it was not in red - that’s my SENIOR MOMENT excuse and it’s the only one I could think of at short notice :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i doubt the insurance will be concerned that you were parked on a street that you shouldn’t have been as its unlikely they will know the parking restrictions on individual streets by the name.

They may not be happy that it’s taken so long for you to tell them about the accident and they may have imposed restrictions on where the vehicles are parked over night. Your o-license should also say where they should be kept over night.

Should’ve told them at the start, especially if there is no financial penalty to you.

Now i don’t see how you can hide it as surely all the invoices and mot reports will go directly to the company not the driver?

kenno78:
but contacted the owner of the vehicle who was willing to pay for a new Rear light for the lorry, so i thought sweet.

So if your boss knew nothing about the accident, who was the other driver going to pay ? and why? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just had another thought on this subject. As this incident hasn’t been recorded with the insurance company, the drunken car driver could quite easily report an accident and that you reversed into his car causing hundreds of quids worth of damage.

I heard a story of something similar happening to a couple of OAP’s who had been involved in a collision with a solicitor. The solicitor claimed full responsibility and told the OAP’s to get their car fixed and send him the invoice. A couple of weeks later they got an insurance claim from the solicitors insurance company holding them fully accountable. The slimy barsteward solicitor went back on his word and fitted them up for the accident. As they had not put a claim in, they were held responsible and had to cough up, or at least their insurance company did, affecting their no-claims bonus and adding hundreds to their renewal premiums.

kenno78:

Quite simply, the insurance company will never pay out for this because the driver left the scene of the accident - and there were no witnesses.

The fact that he left a note wont help, because you should have phoned the police (and your boss) before you moved the vehicle - because the driver left the scene of the accident!
And then there’s the rest of what you did…

I hope you’ve learnt your lesson…and you keep your job.

Best of luck.

ROG:

Yes, o/night lgv ban or not, i think we can assume it was unlit whilst parked on the highway during the hours of darkness. Possibly quite a contributory factor to being driven into by someone with beer goggles on!

Quite simply, the insurance company will never pay out for this because the driver left the scene of the accident - and there were no witnesses

Bull manure. Driver had left contact details as he is required to by law to do. Police wouldn’t be interested… except possibly in the illegally parked truck.
What do you want the car driver to do, stand by the truck all night :question: :question: :unamused:
Supposing he’d hit a vehicle belonging to someone who was away on holiday for a month? A long stand!

OP its an unfortunate one, but honesty is often the best policy. After all, the boss is partly to blame by not insisting the truck be parked up at its operating centre. He has a duty of care.

As for the buckled wheel. Was it buckled before this crash? You say you aren’t sure about it, but surely if it was new damage you would have noticed if the wheel & (presumably tyre) had been hit during your walk round checks?

I need to get one of those flexible insurance policies, it would come in handy if I could just decide when and where i was insured.

It is like a company saying passengers are not insured, you cannot stipulate.

Third party insurance is compulsory on a public road whether it is in a weight limit, on double yellow lines or in a bus stop. and any passenger is a third party.

I think you have made a very serious mistake by not telling your gaffer though. :open_mouth: I hope you were not trying to cover for your mate.

Driveroneuk:

ROG:

Yes, o/night lgv ban or not, i think we can assume it was unlit whilst parked on the highway during the hours of darkness. Possibly quite a contributory factor to being driven into by someone with beer goggles on!

Quite simply, the insurance company will never pay out for this because the driver left the scene of the accident - and there were no witnesses

Bull manure. Driver had left contact details as he is required to by law to do. Police wouldn’t be interested… except possibly in the illegally parked truck.
What do you want the car driver to do, stand by the truck all night :question: :question: :unamused:
Supposing he’d hit a vehicle belonging to someone who was away on holiday for a month? A long stand!

OP its an unfortunate one, but honesty is often the best policy. After all, the boss is partly to blame by not insisting the truck be parked up at its operating centre. He has a duty of care.

As for the buckled wheel. Was it buckled before this crash? You say you aren’t sure about it, but surely if it was new damage you would have noticed if the wheel & (presumably tyre) had been hit during your walk round checks?

You are missing my point entirely.

The driver may have left his details, but he left them on his own car…parked in front of the lorry. Why didn’t he just leave his details on the windscreen of the truck and drive his car away?
What - you dont think that’s suspicious? You obviously do if you thought he was driving with his “beer goggles on”.

:unamused: :unamused: