ADVICE NEEDED

Hi, does anyone know how you can find out just what forms an O/D needs to carry whilst driving abroad. I ask because one driver has just been fined a fortune for filling in an “Break of Activities” form by hand, apparently it should now be typed. Last week another fine of €5000 handed out to a driver for not carrying an up to date Tacho Calibration certificate. Both fines were abroad. How do you protect yourself?

I have heard- don’t know if it’s true- that drivers are being fined if they take less than 9 hours 10 minutes off in France, as you need ten minutes to do your vehicle checks before you start, and these can’t be done during a break

They seem to be handing out fines for fun at the moment. Do you think they don’t like us?

@Magners , the FRENCH do like a 11 hour rest break and can be very stroppy
when you show a 9hour rest break,AS for doc,s try checking the stickies posted
in the forum, AS regards the TACHO here in GERMANY wqwe get a
certified sticker which is placed either by the drivers door or on the side of the analouge-tachograph , and this has all ways beeen accepted by those officals
outside of germany who have checked my tacho,about the break of activities form
approach VOSA direct and get them to give you a offical answer, which you then
follow exactly, this should save you from being caught out,

Hi Pete, thanks for the advice. I did in fact contact VOSA with regard to the break in activities form, was told as you don’t need it in the UK they don’t give advice on it. I found it eventually as a download on the internet, which then means that you can fill it in on a computer, being as how handwritten is a fineable offence. Also now contacted the garage who did the MOT and they are sending me a copy of the calibration certificate. Anything else I should be aware of, as only found out about these two forms by talking to drivers who had been fined.

The best advice I could give to anyone stopped by the Gendarmerie is to try your very hardest to speak to them in as much French as you can muster and not bother with this “I’m English so you will speak to me in English” nonsense.

Gendarmes really aren’t bothered about what Her Britannic Majesty’s Secretary of State Requests and Requires and so many British drivers have expensively come to grief through a failure to understand this.

“Be polite, helpful and friendly when stopped by the Police anywhere” would be my thesis .

magners:
Hi Pete, thanks for the advice. I did in fact contact VOSA with regard to the break in activities form, was told as you don’t need it in the UK they don’t give advice on it. I found it eventually as a download on the internet, which then means that you can fill it in on a computer, being as how handwritten is a fineable offence. Also now contacted the garage who did the MOT and they are sending me a copy of the calibration certificate. Anything else I should be aware of, as only found out about these two forms by talking to drivers who had been fined.

Hi magners, From my own dealings with all manner of foreign officials, I’d say it’s probably best if you can get originals of all documentation.

Foreign officials tend to frown upon photocopies… :frowning: …and then demand a large sum of cash as a deposit. :smiling_imp:

There are several companies who have flouted the rules with holiday forms so a truck with a stack of photocopied ones will raise suspicion, as will the fact that it doesnt have a company stamp and the times and dates are written in the drivers hand :stuck_out_tongue:

The accepted laws of each country differ and what is accepted in Germany may not be the same in France and Spain may have one rule and Italy another.

Harry Monk:
The best advice I could give to anyone stopped by the Gendarmerie is to try your very hardest to speak to them in as much French as you can muster and not bother with this “I’m English so you will speak to me in English” nonsense.

Gendarmes really aren’t bothered about what Her Britannic Majesty’s Secretary of State Requests and Requires and so many British drivers have expensively come to grief through a failure to understand this.

“Be polite, helpful and friendly when stopped by the Police anywhere” would be my thesis .

Dont you find that if you shout loudly about being British and remind them that without us the French would be speaking German helps reduce the fines Harry :smiley:

NO it makes them post the fine even higher

brit pete:
NO it makes them post the fine even higher

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Harry Monk:
I have heard- don’t know if it’s true- that drivers are being fined if they take less than 9 hours 10 minutes off in France, as you need ten minutes to do your vehicle checks before you start, and these can’t be done during a break

It is a bit foolish to take a dead 9 hours in any country, H. I have always been led to believe that the French do not like the present laws. ie the four and a half hours driving and they think a 45 minute break is too short. So I have always driven for a max of 3 hours and taken an hour break. That has always kept them happy whenever I have been stopped. If they see good breaks and not long driving hours, that’s half the battle.

TheBear:
I have always been led to believe that the French do not like the present laws. ie the four and a half hours driving and they think a 45 minute break is too short. So I have always driven for a max of 3 hours and taken an hour break. That has always kept them happy whenever I have been stopped. If they see good breaks and not long driving hours, that’s half the battle.

agree with you (for a change :wink: ) on the 3+1 theory, but sometimes don’t you just think ■■■■ em, the law’s the law black/white? :imp:

jj72:

TheBear:
I have always been led to believe that the French do not like the present laws. ie the four and a half hours driving and they think a 45 minute break is too short. So I have always driven for a max of 3 hours and taken an hour break. That has always kept them happy whenever I have been stopped. If they see good breaks and not long driving hours, that’s half the battle.

agree with you (for a change :wink: ) on the 3+1 theory, but sometimes don’t you just think [zb] em, the law’s the law black/white? :imp:

I agree with both of you.:grimacing:

I was told the 3 +1 thing back in the early 80’s and it always stood me in good stead with the French. Sure, we all got done for various things, but I was never done for excess hours. (If there were enough breaks :wink: )

Choc gazelle arby…choc gazelle…good ol harry monk…trust him always to guide a fellow trucker when in trouble…and harry…is that really you in that photo ■■

Malc…loved that last answer…and true as well

Breaks…i always take 11…every time…its my perogative…and i`m changing for no one…even if my company keep reminding me i can take a 9…
If you take time off…get written proof…signed and dated and stamped if poss…
Make sure you got a dated Insurance document…your Operators Licence…your EEC permit…a credit card… a kettle…t.bags…milk…a some food stored away…and an eagle eye…good luck…