Advice needed

In need of advice I am currently on a probation in my current job due to only being there 6 months I have had to take time off due to loosing my mum and my grandad 9 days apart and they are wanting me to go to a meeting as there not happy with me having time off.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Who cares if they are not happy. You are allowed time off if you lose family members.
Any doubts go to the Citizens Advice Bureau
For free legal advice.
Find a new job mate.

Go to the meeting, explain the circumstances, if they don’t like what they hear, then they’re not a decent company to work for, and you’ve had a lucky escape as you move on. You can’t put a statutory time on bereavement and grief. I knew a bloke who had a massive crash on the M1 while he was going through a divorce, your company has a duty of care to the public, and can’t push you back to work.

I wouldn’t even turn up , Ffs you’re mum has died , it just beggars belief , and I’m really sorry for your loss as they bloody should be :smiling_imp:

As said above a decent firm will be ok if they’re not then say good bye and find another job
p/s my deepest sympathies for your loss :cry:

As above. If you lose your Mum and your Grandad within the space of a fortnight then you are going to need time off to deal with it. If your employer can’t or won’t understand that then they are not a good employer and it’s time to move on.

At the meeting, fight your corner, and if they give you any crap then stand up and walk out.

How long is the probationary period? The most I’ve ever had was 3 months. You should be able to take someone into the meeting as a companion/witness/advocate, If you are in a union this is basic stuff for reps, if not a workplace rep or friend from the workplace. Do not in any circumstances accept a company appointed companion. make arrangements for your companion as early as possible and advise the manager conducting the meeting who it is going to be. Good luck.

Condolences for your loss.

The probation period is 6 months but mine has been extended due to having to take my daughter into hospital

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

My previous advice stands. It looks like your company has worries about the amount off time of your having, not that you can help family passing and needing hospital treatment. Do you have any history from a previous employer that would support the view that this is not a normal pattern for you?

Wiretwister:
How long is the probationary period? The most I’ve ever had was 3 months. You should be able to take someone into the meeting as a companion/witness/advocate, If you are in a union this is basic stuff for reps, if not a workplace rep or friend from the workplace. Do not in any circumstances accept a company appointed companion. make arrangements for your companion as early as possible and advise the manager conducting the meeting who it is going to be. Good luck.

Condolences for your loss.

+1

OVLOV JAY:
Go to the meeting, explain the circumstances, if they don’t like what they hear, then they’re not a decent company to work for, and you’ve had a lucky escape as you move on. You can’t put a statutory time on bereavement and grief. I knew a bloke who had a massive crash on the M1 while he was going through a divorce, your company has a duty of care to the public, and can’t push you back to work.

Well spoken, that man. I couldnt put it better myself, so I wont repeat it.

papermonkey:

OVLOV JAY:

Well spoken, that man. I couldnt put it better myself, so I wont repeat it.

You just have …

My opinion is if you lose a friend or family member , you are not safe to drive any size or type of vehicle.
Even a pet dying can affect your concentration on the road and slow down reaction times.
Look how many replied on your side and not one backed your employer .

mdourish:
The probation period is 6 months but mine has been extended…

Your “probation period” is effectively 24 months… same as everybody else’s.

toby1234abc:
Who cares if they are not happy. You are allowed time off if you lose family members.
For free legal advice.
Find a new job mate.

Yes you are allowed time off for compassionate leave, but this only covers parents, children and brothers and sisters but not grandparents, although a decent employer should allow a day off for the grandparent, where as a company would allow a reasonable amount of time off for the others normally upto 5 days.
The OP should check his contract of employment on compassionate leave, if it has it in it before seeking legal advice.
Pretty sure CAB or ACAS will say the same.
Have to agree with the others a family death isn’t something everyone can get over in a day, and employers should be reasonable about .

Contraflow:

mdourish:
The probation period is 6 months but mine has been extended…

Your “probation period” is effectively 24 months… same as everybody else’s.

+1. Everyone in this country can be dismissed without reason in the first 24 months of employment. Funny how everyone who was banging on about the EU protecting workers rights seems to have missed the fact the EU did nothing about the coalition government raising the 12 month period to 2 years.

toby1234abc:
For free legal advice.
Find a new job mate.

+1

I was talking to another driver a few years ago [late nineties]and he told me about a tipper company run by two brothers,he said a driver had lost his baby due to cot death and asked to have a day off for the funeral,one of the brothers apparently replied why he wanted a full day off as it only takes a morning to bury a baby,if it was true,how about that for an employer.