Advice needed please

Hi all, i need some advice and i will try and keep this simple.

Ok, i work for an agancy in a RDC. and i have done so for two and a half years. The present agency i am with have lost allot of the work and have gone quiet, i have not worked on site now for three weeks. I want to go to an other agency who now has most of the work in the rdc. I am being told that i am not allowed to do this as i cant cross agencies like that and i am basically not allowed to. I am also told i can do it if i dont work on site for four weeks so i only have another week to go (its seems they can do what they want when it suits them). can they stop me from doing this, surly by law they cant, this has to be illegal and must be restriction of trade. surly they cant do this, i am me, and i can work for who i want, when i want and where i want. At the end of the day the agency is not giving me work so what is there problem.

Thank you all in advance

Spose it depends on the site agreement between the site, and the 2 agencies, & how keen they are to stick to the letter of the agreement. Ive worked on site(s) for several agencies, some sites Ive worked for 2-3 agencies within the same week. In the end you can only make attempts to switch agencies on that site, you may get away with it, or not. But at the end of the day, you aint got a say in it. As an agency worker you are afterall only a temporary worker working on that site via a 3rd party employer

wizardofoz:
Hi all, i need some advice and i will try and keep this simple.
I am being told that i am not allowed to do this as i cant cross agencies like that and i am basically not allowed to.

simple answer to this -

You can work for as many agencies as you like :smiley: :smiley:

if you wanna cover your own back tell them youll do it but you have to wait for another week before you can do it

but it shouldnt matter how are they going to know your their?

ive work at the same site for 2 different agencies withing a week and nobodys ever said a thing and tbh thats stopping me work so screw them, if they aint giving me work ill go where the work is.

Had the same problem myself when my agency went quiet. i found out who the main agency was rang them up told them I had experince of working for that company and the answer was sorry mate we cant use you we have an agreement with your agency not to nick thier drivers .
Lesson 1 keep ya gob shut tell em nowt!

normally the situation is that the company you work for via the agency cannot offer you a job without paying a fee to the agency.

but your agency cannot stop you working for another agency at the same company

Had the same thing when I worked for a fridge firm got offered a job with them and the agency wanted a fee. Gaffer just asked if that agency wanted to carry on supplying drivers to him . When they said of course we do he told them to go away with thier fee and stop being silly

depends on what your contract of employment states too.
Ask the agency how many weeks you need to be off site working for the 1st agency if you can show your over that time you should not have any problem.
Most places have a 12 week period and what the 1st agency will do is drop you in for an odd day or too just tell the other agency that theuy havent given you work and go from there
Or you could look up and tell the other agency that your being stopped from working and you’ll take legal advice as to the legality of whats going on (check your terms of employment )

thanks all for your replys, i think things are looking ok again and should be able to work for this other agency by next mondy as the period i have to be of site is four weeks.

thanks all and ill keep you posted