Advice needed.Not driven for 19 years!

Hi All,
Passed my HGV class 1 back in 1995 but have not driven an HGV since 1995!!! I am currently in the position of looking for work and wondered if I could get any advice with regards refresher training and getting some work e.t.c. I have just sent off for a digi tacho card. I live in west london next to Heathrow and any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards Phil

Me too Phil, not driven HGV since 1992, just got my Digital Card back and have sat the theory test an Agency had me take…cant believed I passed it lol. Now need to go for a drivers assessment for this Company and am kakkin it. Cud do with a lil practice in a truck b4 hand …instead of hopin it will all come bak once sat in the vehicle :unamused:

You’ll need driver cpc as well - many employers are now asking how many hours you have if already not got the DQC - driver cpc card

I would deffo ask a local training school for a days training on perhaps rigid AM and artic PM with your almost non existent experience in the last 19 years

Bin told can get away without CPC until September due to passing test in 1992 ? OMG, this makes me sound old lol :wink:

Research the firms that go in to the fruit and veg market near the airport.Mostly night work on multi drops.

Chezzy47:
Bin told can get away without CPC until September due to passing test in 1992 ? OMG, this makes me sound old lol :wink:

You are correct. However, a company is unlikely to take you on unless you have at least 21 or 28 hours CPC. Most CPC courses are now fully booked for the next few months due to drivers leaving it to the last minute. If you haven’t done 35 hours by September then you will not be able to drive commercially, making you useless to the company you are working for.

A lot of companies now want you to have cpc & are asking for cards so I would think about getting it asap

35hr = 1 week but check a few places for price as not alway cheap

Thanks for the tips everyone :slight_smile:

Thanks all help appreciated