Advice - how/when/where to plan breaks in London

Morning all,

As a newbie C+E driver (3 months), I am learning lots by searching and reading this forum. Thanks to all for continuing to share and reply.

I am normally delivering and collecting in the relatively rural Wiltshire/Gloucestershire/Bristol areas with plenty of laybys, industrial estates or nearby services to break at. Last week, I was sent to East London a couple of times, and am likely to be sent to more of London next week.

I knew I would be arriving at my delivery point (a building site) round about 4h 15m of driving time, but I also knew that the last 10 miles of M25/M11/A12 was likely to take 30 to 45 minutes. Feeling unsure that there would be places to break in that last 10 miles, I chose to take my break at 3:30 ish driving time, which then knocks on for the return journey which needed another 45.

How do you more experienced drivers do this? Do you have long-earned knowledge of where breaks can be taken, where laybys are as you get inside the north circular? Are there maps/tools/apps that help a newbie find them?

As it happens, there were laybys on the A12 where I could have taken a break, but I did not feel at all confident about risking it in advance. Leaving the site via the A13/North circular due to traffic, there were no obvious places to break that I could see.

Martin.

You could try TRUCKFLY it’s on google play don’t know about ipad/iphone.

Generally you want to take a break before you go into London so you can get in and out.

Conor:
Generally you want to take a break before you go into London so you can get in and out.

I used to do this, have a break before and then another if needed when you leave…

Stephenjp:

Conor:

I used to do this, have a break before and then another if needed when you leave…

Same.

As most say take your full 45 mins at last services truck stop before you cross the m25.
As once over the25 parking is very limited…there’s a few laybyes stopping places on the a 12 and on a few other main routes…but very limited and no guarantee your get a spot…
All comes down to experience really keeping an eye out on your travels.

River road barking off a 13 follow it round to the back where runs along the river can usually park along there if that’s on your route

Also best stop before cross m 25 for food and a pee.
As if get caught short there’s noware to stop and not much chance of. Getting food either. As can’t stop outside shop n bang hazards on as you rush in as all cameraed up.

Also sure your aware never enter a yellow box unless it’s clear as your get a ticket in the post via a camera.
Once inside m25 driving time won’t add up to much keep eye on your working 6 hours time.
And worst case take a 15 min break at delivery point

Well done for driving to London in the first place. A lot of the pansies I work with, start crying like babies when they are given London.

If you know it will take a while to unload, take the break there. Just be honest with the forkie or foreman and they normally don’t mind because they know when the next delivery is. Park so other lorries or plant can get by and you are good.

Failing that, look for side roads or slip roads. Or just find a wide part of a main road, so two lanes of traffic can pass, then put your hazards on. If any one asks, say you broke down.

One time, I had to stop in a bus stop on a red route. Every passing bus driver understood and one even told me it happens a lot.

Take care and watch for cars sneaking up the inside. All the best

dont realy know the areas you are traveling to but along the a13 there are several industrial estates ie ferry lane and the one that dagenham tesco is on.

unless you are going to be going to london regualy best bet is have a break before and after going into london. If going regualy to a couple of more places have a look at a map for industrial sites and speak to coach and bus drivers if you can find any friendly ones.

Can you not take a break at your delivery point?

Not really being helpful here as not done many building sites, the ones I have done from memory you could usually find some place to stop?

Thanks all, some great pointers.

I am still learning what is expected of a new driver - and agency at that - but the balance between making sure I do not infringe, and pushing back on the unrealistic expectations of the planner is still being worked out in my mind.

What I am rapidly finding is that visiting a site for the second time is soooooo much easier than the first.

My last month has been pallet delivery and collection, with almost every site being brand new. Great experience building is one way to describe it!!

Martin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don’t know how you lads manage to put up with all this crap chucked at you in London these days, it is as if they are setting you some kind of challenge to be able to do your job,under whatever impossible situations they create.
It would serve the ■■■■ s right if hauliers refused to put up with all these restrictions any longer, and said ■■■■ you we ain’t playing anymore.
How you are able to do multi down there,.and then have to go back out to park (if you can find somewhere that is) only to have to go back in next morning for another set of ■■■■ challenges.

I’m old enough and been in the job long enough to remember when London was a great place to go to, mostly on the tramper social side of things, numerous truck parks and some great (and very dubious :wink: ) bars to have a night out,.either local to the park, or a tube journey down the West End.
As far as I know the truck park situation is zero, if I never go there again it will be too soon…
An anti truck crap hole of the highest order ran by an anti truck prick. :imp:

Ideally you want to have as much time available driving wise available as possible before you cross the m25. Depends how deep in you are going, if you are outside of north / south circular A406 / A205 it is not quite so bad. If you go in with less time it can stressful trying to find somewhere. If you must do it, try and get a 15 in first as you may be able to get a 30 in whilst queuing to load / unload.

M4 has Heston services
M1 has London Gateway
M11 has nothing
A1 has a couple of big laybys before North circular

Quite a few of the A roads that cross the M25 have a string of laybys on the outer edge of the M25

A13, A127, A12, A10, A41, A4, A3 etc.

So if you are coming in or escaping then there are usually quite a few options.

If I have to go in deep with time a potential problem I will stop early for a 45 and then again for a second one if needed. It is a pain in the arse but better safe than sorry if you are unsure.

AgentSime:
Well done for driving to London in the first place. A lot of the pansies I work with, start crying like babies when they are given London.

If you know it will take a while to unload, take the break there. Just be honest with the forkie or foreman and they normally don’t mind because they know when the next delivery is. Park so other lorries or plant can get by and you are good.

Failing that, look for side roads or slip roads. Or just find a wide part of a main road, so two lanes of traffic can pass, then put your hazards on. If any one asks, say you broke down.

One time, I had to stop in a bus stop on a red route. Every passing bus driver understood and one even told me it happens a lot.

Take care and watch for cars sneaking up the inside. All the best

Pansies :laughing:

When we get an application now, they get a questionnaire which states that ALL of our trucks are TfL DVS equipped, and that ALL drivers are required to enter the capital when required, anything other than a “Yes, no problem” the process ends there

I do my best to avoid the hole, but some customers require a complete service, and the hole has to be serviced

#hateLondon

As has been said take a break just before entering London and write down on a piece of paper when it started and ended, don’t worry about having to potentially take another break on the way out just do it if needed. Finally as far as accumulated driving/ other work recorded while in London is concerned, remember the print out is your friend - do however many you feel you need to keep on top of the situation. You can access this from the tacho, but it is easy to get confused, with a print out you can total each easily provided you change mode before you print.