Advice for first day on class 1?!

Starting driving class 1 tomorrow for Morgan McLernon here in NI . So any advice for my first day and in general driving class 1? I have my maps and new truck nav / Bluetooth headset etc so half prepared hopefully, I’m hopefully doing 3 months at home then over the water to England. I’m 23 btw , so say hi if I see any of yous !! Thanks Paul

Get some sleep don’t flap ask if your not sure.
It’s not as hard as your thinking.
Enjoy.

First of all, don’t panic or worry.
You have enough time to stop and think when and if you need too so don’t take on pressure that simply isn’t there.

YOUR in charge of YOUR vehicle so do what YOU and YOUR need, funk everything else!.

Less speed equals more thinking time, not just talking about braking distances, but generally, take time to think.

Aim to bring you and the motor home unmarked.
Good luck.

Thanks guys , yea i will probably be told off for not driving fast enough lol I like to take time and be safe no matter what I be driving but tomorrow even more so !

paulr92:
Thanks guys , yea i will probably be told off for not driving fast enough lol I like to take time and be safe no matter what I be driving but tomorrow even more so !

Sounds like a plan.

Good luck and enjoy :wink:

Good luck!!

Take your time and chill. Don’t worry about cocking the reversing up we have all been there.

Judonut:
Take your time and chill. Don’t worry about cocking the reversing up we have all been there.

Some of us still are there! Just take your time and never ever be afraid to get out and look.
Being mocked for being careful is less painful than being mocked for hitting something or someone!

th2013:

Judonut:

Some of us still are there! Just take your time and never ever be afraid to get out and look.
Being mocked for being careful is less painful than being mocked for hitting something or someone!

Spot on[emoji39]doesn’t matter how long you have been driving you still get days when the potsy trailer won’t go where you want it to! Oh yeah and there is always someone watching. I just smile to myself and think we’ll at least I haven’t hit anything! Who cares what over people think.

Thanks guys , had a great first day !! Brought her home safe and sound , a curtainsider drop then 2 fridge pick up and drops , not back in until Thursday unfortunately lol , can’t wait to get back on the road it’s addictive lol thanks paul

Well done. Great feeling on your first solo run, after the first few miles and the panic subsides!

Just remember your training and the fact a test examiner felt you are worthy of having that licence.

Good luck pal.

Get out and look before you drive into a place. Firstly to make sure it’s the right place, and secondly to look for any obstacles/how to position yourself for any reverse. Also, some places are best reversed into!

Anyone who mocks you can safely be ignored. In my experience it is rare - very rare - that any professional driver will mock another. Those of us who understand will most likely sympathise and help if necessary, as well as respect those who are careful and diligent enough to get out to look first if they’re not sure. That is a sure sign of a good driver.

If I ever saw anyone mocking an artic driver I would if necessary step in to defend that driver. It isn’t helpful, it isn’t clever, it is basically just rude. We can do without that, the job can be hard enough already without having extra tools to worry about.

Get on with the job, be careful, and try not to hit anything. It takes as long as it takes, but a good reverse is simply one where you get it safely where it needs to go, that’s all that matters at the end of the day.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

The above two post’s have struck the nail very firmly on the skull.

Do not be tempted to just drive in nose first. If its not obvious, get your arse out of the cab and take your notes with you.

No good pitching up in a yard, just to be told to wait outside on the road until you are given a shout!!

Take your time. Here are a couple sayings I work by. If in doubt, get out. And. Slow lorry, fast hands. Don’t rush anything. And don’t listen to any old grumpy ■■■■■■■■ who’ve been doing it for years and want to tell you all about how much you’ll hate it. It is what you make it and that’s their problem. Good luck drive!

Thanks guys learning lots and enjoying it so far, my only query would be the wages they seem very bad , maybe because I’m only starting but for the hours in doing I would hope for more

paulr92:
Thanks guys learning lots and enjoying it so far, my only query would be the wages they seem very bad , maybe because I’m only starting but for the hours in doing I would hope for more

Ah ha a ■■■■■ of light, the novelty is starting to wear off and now you are realising that the thieving scum who employ you are having you work very long hours away from home and family for sweet FA. Don’t listen to these losers who post how great the job is and live with their mothers, they don’t know real life yet. Get the experience and then go for more money. You want enough pay in the next 10 years to buy a house and set yourself up for life because in 10 years time my guess is every driver in the UK will be a foreigner on minimum wage. A lot of places already have foreigners as managers so they are already taking on their own kind JMB Sports for example, every one in their Distribution centre is polish ask any driver. Go to any distribution centre TNT, ES at Crick, Asda, Tesco etc. and you will find the same story. This is a dying career for British drivers :unamused:

paulr92:

They is decent money you just just need to find the right employer, March last year I was on 18.5k salary, I’ve had a massive rise by moving job.

" I would rather tell the truth…naïve newbies…".

Its not my truth Chief. And I think you will find that it’s not the truth of many in this section, or indeed, the pro drivers forum either. I think it is also quite insulting to the majority of lads and lasses on here to suggest that folk are not capable or experienced enough in life to make decisions for themselves.

I for one enjoy truck driving. Class 2 since Feb 14 and class 1 since Mar 15 is still quite new to the game. But I will ALWAYS try and offer any tips I can to help build confidence, or make the job easier/safer for others. I have benefited enormously from the advice and experience of others on here, regardless of experience.

A driver who has spent ONE day on a bulker has more experience than I have on bulkers. So I would listen.

You claim that you have been a truck driver since 1985. And its terrible etc etc. Still keep coming back for more though. You have NO credibility and have made a laughing stock of yourself, certainly on THIS section of the forum.

I offer you my congratulations-you have saved me a job.

As for everyone on here who is enthusiastic and takes the time to post, in order to help and/or support new drivers, I would say WELL DONE. Don’t become sad and bitter like Alder.