Advice for dhl assesment

Hi all,

New pass driver going for driving assesment with DHL in Livingston. Had a pass by there today as I had an interview with an agency - doesn’t seem a massive place.

Any (helpfull) tips or advice would be great.

Cheers,

Dingdong.

Assuming it’s with Nisa?
Main points would be take your time,make them aware you are newly passed,if you are not sure…ASK.
It’s a physical job but that is reflected in the pay.

No I think it is Booker/Iceland.

Stating that I am a new pass will be about the first thing I’ll say.

From what was said at the agency interview it would be trunking and if all were to go ok they would probably want to get me trained on double decker trailers.

However - I just want to take it one step at a time. See what happens and enjoy it.

From what was said the time spent there would be - drug and alcohol testing, drivers hours and WTD questions then assessment drive.

I’m just slightly panicking as I past my C+E two months ago and have not been in one since.

I doubt they would have much of an issue if you asked for a couple of trips round the yard before heading out to get a feel for the combination as you aren’t familiar with the unit. They might even suggest it tbh

OP how did you get on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it might be lots of reversing, they might want you to go for a week of training

also urine drug test and alcohol test

Tricky 21 Jan:
OP how did you get on?

i think he must be lost somewhere :frowning:

Priest:
urine drug test and alcohol test

I’d want drugs to work there! :open_mouth:

When I’ve done these, I’ve always found the alcohol test amusing.
You could be a complete soak, yet if you could manage to restrain yourself the night before, you’d pass the test! :open_mouth:

So what is even the point of it? :laughing:

carryfast-yeti:

Tricky 21 Jan:
OP how did you get on?

i think he must be lost somewhere :frowning:

Nah, he’s still handballing off his first load… :laughing:

Didn’t even get an assessment as they want people who are double decker trained and that would be part of the assessment - which I know nothing about.

So… the job hunting goes on.

dingdong:
Didn’t even get an assessment as they want people who are double decker trained and that would be part of the assessment - which I know nothing about.

So… the job hunting goes on.

I’m sure there will be something else round the corner

Is there training for a double decker? :open_mouth:

I just got in and went…
What exactly is there to consider other than bridge’s and taking it slow on corners…

Beaver has done the DHL Iceland assessment and passed with flying colours. (I know it’s XPO now btw).

Alcohol test, drugs test, split coupling to be demonstrated upon return to the yard. Usual script-many mirror checks, handbrake on EVERY time you come to a halt. The trainers/assessors are SMITHS trainers and DHL are safety mad so do everything carefully and sensibly. 3 points of contact EVERY time.

If you pass the driving assessment(many don’t), you will do a really exciting induction day including watching 349 videos and writing/signing until you get arthritis.

I drive double decker every day there is nothing dif from them to a standard trailer Sept the height and when u have things loaded on the top deck just take a little bit easier round corners like what’s been said and there little bit more fun in strong winds but there really is not much diff

samledger1212:
I drive double decker every day there is nothing dif from them to a standard trailer Sept the height and when u have things loaded on the top deck just take a little bit easier round corners like what’s been said and there little bit more fun in strong winds but there really is not much diff

Agreed Sam, it’s all just common sense…
It’s also worth keeping an eye on the forkie and making sure they aren’t putting the heavy stuff up top and the light stuff on the bottom.
You can’t trust forkie’s to have common sense, or caring as that bugger isn’t driving it…
But overall, they are more stable than you think. (Not that i’ve come close to testing that! :open_mouth:)

Evil8Beezle:

samledger1212:

Agreed Sam, it’s all just common sense…
It’s also worth keeping an eye on the forkie and making sure they aren’t putting the heavy stuff up top and the light stuff on the bottom.
You can’t trust forkie’s to have common sense, or caring as that bugger isn’t driving it…
But overall, they are more stable than you think. (Not that i’ve come close to testing that! :shock:)

That’s Conors job :wink:

I no mate they arnt diff at all the only time they get a bit twitchy is in strong wind