Advice for an interview please

hi there, after a lot off phone calls and time on the internet iv finaly got an interview with a transport company ,
iv got plenty of experience but not with interviews … can anyone give me any advice? as i think theres a lot of drivers appling for this job even though its not a big company .
id appreciate any advice from anyone thanks lads :smiley: :smiley:

Wear a suit, get a haircut, brush up as good as you can and treat it like the biggest day of your life.

Emphasise how much you love working, are flexible and very company orientated.

These days companies want a driver they can trust and can expect to work without moaning.

Good luck!

thanks mate ,
its just abit tough at moment with so little work about,
but i just cant sit back you wont get a job that way ?

Smart casual dress code - not suit & tie or you’ll look like you are after the TMs job :exclamation:

RELAX - BE YOU - putting on an ‘act’ is a no no - some of these interviewers can see right through that.

Talk as if you were giving your mate and his Mrs (no bad language) the low down on what you CAN do.

Failing that - pretend the interviewer is naked or dressed like Mr Blobby :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: - that’ll keep you smiling throughout the process.

Scarab:
Wear a suit, get a haircut, brush up as good as you can and treat it like the biggest day of your life.

Emphasise how much you love working, are flexible and very company orientated.

These days companies want a driver they can trust and can expect to work without moaning.

Good luck!

do some basic reasearch on the company - EDIT: i dont mean being able to recite every little bit about the company just basic:

e.g. when they started, what they do etc what they deliver etc etc, you’d be suprised that some probably wont. END EDIT.

If you have some basic knowlodge of who they are etc etc then it will show them you taken time to look - it may help, thats what my dad said when he was taking interviews as a few drivers went and did not know what they did or what they delivered.

every little helps :slight_smile:

cheers mate,
thats good advice :smiley:

ROG:
Smart casual dress code - not suit & tie or you’ll look like you are after the TMs job :exclamation: .

Scarab:
Wear a suit,

Two different takes on this point - your decision…

ROG:
Failing that - pretend the interviewer is naked or dressed like Mr Blobby :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: - that’ll keep you smiling throughout the process.

:open_mouth: The interviewer might think tilly1970 has mental disorders if he is smiling continually :laughing:
As I was scrolling down,I was thinking the same as pecjam23 has mentioned. It shows that you have interest in the company,and see what they strive for,and show them that you share the same attitude in providing a service for the customers.

Also make sure you have your work footwear available with you, just on the of chance they want to see you in action behind the wheel.

Just be yourself, be honest with your answers and dont be afraid to ask them questions also.

Good luck

my sister is in a job where she interviews quite a few people, one thing she told me that makes her decide no to an applicant is when she asks if they have anything they would like to ask her. If they say no thanks, then she pretty much strikes them straight off.

Therefore as someone else said above, do some research on the company and try to ask a few decent questions about the job, the company etc., not just questions about how much you pay. and also try to put across what you may be able to offer the company, flexibility and such like

Good luck

Put on a Hi-Viz vest, climb into a large box with a pump truck then get someone to tape it up and shrink wrap the box to a pallet. Then get DHL or someone like that to deliver the box the interview location at the prescribed time. After you’ve been dropped off and the interview panel have signed for you…jump out of the box shouting ‘Da da da daaa!’ and proceed in lifting and wheeling the desks and panel to the opposite side of the room remembering to keep them all in the right order. Finish off with a graceful figure of eight on the pump truck, pick your nose a bit and ask them to call you drive. If it works, give me a PM and I’ll try it too.

David H:
Put on a Hi-Viz vest, climb into a large box with a pump truck then get someone to tape it up and shrink wrap the box to a pallet. Then get DHL or someone like that to deliver the box the interview location at the prescribed time. After you’ve been dropped off and the interview panel have signed for you…jump out of the box shouting ‘Da da da daaa!’ and proceed in lifting and wheeling the desks and panel to the opposite side of the room remembering to keep them all in the right order. Finish off with a graceful figure of eight on the pump truck, pick your nose a bit and ask them to call you drive. If it works, give me a PM and I’ll try it too.

Thanks,that made me spill my beer :laughing: :laughing: .

Pretend to be Polish…

Don’t lie, you will get found out. :wink:

Reasearch the company abit, that may give some questions to
ask at the interview. Write them down first. Don’t answer questions with
a straight yes or no but expand a wee bit, without waffling on… and finally

relax

be smart … look interested…

and when he / she ask’s the old … rite any questions…■■ line… i always say well… i actually was going to ask you about such and such , and you have answered all me questions for me…your interview technique has been so good that u have covered all me questions for me…

this makes them feel good … and they have done there job very well…

use this old line every time and got offered every job ever been in for … (not to say that i have taken them all )

you and me both bro :laughing:

Suit or Casual

Well I found if your dressed smart and your comfortable you’ll be more relaxed If you don’t feel comffy in a suit dont wear it IT WILL show.
Take a hi viz with you you might need to have one depending on the site your visiting just getting from the carpark to the office boots in the car as said just incase. Pen and pad to write those notes on that you want to read over later and write down questions that you want to ask and when they tell you about the job tick any items on ur list they answer.
What trucks they drive and experiance you have with them and the type of loads your gonna carry and who they deliver to as you might have encountered them and know the way they do things.

Some places pay O/T on poa and bank all hours over your worked hours this keeps you down on the 48hr WTD check if they do that

ie 48hr week any thing over we bank but if its poa we’ll pay it gregorys do that and I found it a pain …

After all that
GOOD LUCK M8y

take your driving licence, digi card and other relevant tickets
plus above

Suit :open_mouth: Just look smart casual, its for a driver FFS. You might have to go for an assessment too, there and then. If a drivers job needs a poxy suit at the interview, I don’t want it. :angry:
Anyway, I went to a so called interview the other day, “just bring your licence and we’ll have a chat” gets there, “have you a digi card” - “I have, yes, but, I haven’t brought it with me as I was only asked to bring licence” :imp: and also assumed I was unlikely to get a newer truck anyway. So my advice is do what I would normally do and take everything you have, just in case.

ROG:
Smart casual dress code - not suit & tie or you’ll look like you are after the TMs job :exclamation:

RELAX - BE YOU - putting on an ‘act’ is a no no - some of these interviewers can see right through that.

Talk as if you were giving your mate and his Mrs (no bad language) the low down on what you CAN do.

nice one Rog :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: