Advice- CPC Please

Ello,

Just asking this question for a friend of mine and was wondering if someone who is upto date could maybe answer it - I don’t really know so I don’t want to give him bad info you see.

Basically he passed his Car licence in 1990 so he automatically had his 7.5t, he has since just done his class 2 in 2010 and was told he didn’t need to do that new CPC test for newer drivers at the time.
So he just had to get it done before 2014/15 like most of us.

Is there such thing as CPC Grandfather rights? even though he only just passed his test in 2010 not the 2009 cut off? He is being told he has to do Module 2 & 4 or he “Cannot drive legally” by someone in work.

I honestly don’t know the answer, and said I would post on here for him just in case someone else can shed some light on the matter - It was my understanding that anyone who passed there test after Sept 2009 had to do that 2hr intense CPC test etc? Anyway Thanks for reading.

Because he had cat C1 on his license in 2009 when the DCPC started he has grandfather rights and only needs to complete 35 hours of DCPC training by September 2014, he does not need to do modules 2 or 4.

Jotunkaiser:
He is being told he has to do Module 2 & 4 or he “Cannot drive legally” by someone in work.

He should ignore them, they’re talking rubbish.

Anyone who was qualified to drive a category of LGV vehicle in 2009 when the DCPC started does not need to do the “Initial Driver CPC” which is modules 2 and 4, cat C1 is a category of LGV vehicle therefore he does not need to do modules 2 or 4 :wink:

tachograph:
Because he had cat C1 on his license in 2009 when the DCPC started he has grandfather rights and only needs to complete 35 hours of DCPC training by September 2014, he does not need to do modules 2 or 4.

Jotunkaiser:
He is being told he has to do Module 2 & 4 or he “Cannot drive legally” by someone in work.

Anyone who was qualified to drive a category of LGV vehicle in 2009 when the DCPC started does not need to do the “Initial Driver CPC” which is modules 2 and 4, cat C1 is a category of LGV vehicle therefore he does not need to do modules 2 or 4 :wink:

However - I have now met two drivers who are in this position and have been fined £30 by the Police (not VOSA) for no initial DQC. Both paid the fine, went to enquire about doing the initial DCPC and both got told they couldn’t and needed to do Periodic DCPC.

Seems some authorities don’t get the rules.

shep532:

tachograph:

Jotunkaiser:

However - I have now met two drivers who are in this position and have been fined £30 by the Police (not VOSA) for no initial DQC. Both paid the fine, went to enquire about doing the initial DCPC and both got told they couldn’t and needed to do Periodic DCPC.

Seems some authorities don’t get the rules.

I wonder if they could get their fines reimbursed if they pointed the relevant authorities to “article 4 - Directive 2003/59/EC”.

Article 4

Acquired rights

The following drivers shall be exempted from the requirement
to obtain an initial qualification:

(a) drivers who hold a category D1, D1+E, D or D+E licence,
or a licence recognised as equivalent, issued no later than
two years after the final date for the transposition of this
Directive;

(b) drivers who hold a category C1, C1+E, C or C+E licence, or
a licence recognised as equivalent, issued no later than
three years after the final date for the transposition of this
Directive.