Advice And What To Expect At job Interviews

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could pass on any tips, good
advice and what to expect as from Monday I am going to
ring some companies up for class 2 work. Also there is
some companies I don’t know there numbers would it
be ok to just turn up :question: . I don’t rate emailing companies
because a lot don’t seem to maintain there sites and
just use them as a advert and don’t email you back.

At the interviews do you do interview then an assessment drive.
Also I read Coffeeholics tip in having a clean and
polished car (that’s my weekend gone then :slight_smile: ).

Convoy,

Check your Trucknet mailbox. I have sent contact details for Polypipe.

Cheers

KV

Thank’s killsville I have just pm you back.
much appreciated :smiley: .

Cheers

I’ve just found I get much better results by turning up and hassling them politley, rather than ringing them, as you just get fobbed off with I’ll take your number and get the TM to call you back. Turn up looking presentable with your licence and employment history and night out bag. You never know :wink: . The added bonus is: You get to see what they’re like. They might even give you the assesment then and their if they do them. If your pursuasive enough, then they might even give you the job then and their :wink: .

:slight_smile: convoy,
I agree with what Lib has said.

Turn up at potential employers in person.This shows initiative, - that you are a cut above the rest of the jobseekers who just make a phonecall and become a name on their list filed in the office drawer (if you’re lucky !)
Most Transport Managers have still to grasp the concept of answering the FAX messages that they receive daily, - so you are absolutely right, a speculative e.mail applying for a job is indeed a waste of time. :sunglasses:

Do some homework before you go to the interview a find out something about the firm in question. Then ask some pertinant questions when you’re there. :wink:
~ “I understand you deliver mostly building materials - Is that mainly to DIY warehouses or direct to sites ?”
~ “I’ve always noticed how clean and well maintained your trucks look - do you have a workshop on site or do you use an outside firm ?”

The driving assessment is just that - it’s not a test. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: After showing them the walk around check on the truck, you are just taking a ‘passenger’ down the road, along the dual carriageway, maybe through the town centre and back onto the industrial estate, etc. Oh, when you get back into the yard your passenger will ask you to park up over there or reverse onto the loading bay, for example. :wink: …Nowt to worry about … :sunglasses:

Good Luck,

Thanks for the help and advice :smiley: . I have got my licence back
today with categories B,B1,C,C1 So I think that’s them all
as I don’t have A for motorcycles. I will let you know how
I get on and try and do a Wright up with pics If I get a job.

Not saying that Liberace or Deesider are wrong, I’ve never tried turning up.
But for me writing has always been very effective, unlike most of you I do not work for one employer & have not done so for many years, so that could make a difference. But I normally find that when offers of work are slowing up 6 - 10 stamps provide at the very least 2 offers of work & often more.

If a company has had recent adverts in the press, try them by the methods they requested.

For instance if a company require an application in writing and you telephone them, you have just proved you cannot follow simple instructions.

I agree that emails are not the answer either because they are too impersonal, and a busy office may have as many as 1000 mails daily to sift through. I have used email and got a good responce but I knew the traffic office managers name and targeted him with the title Job Offer.

If you know a little bit about the company, then a visit to the depot is probably ok, that is how I got my current job, The problem is some secretarys are trained by Doctors Receptionists and will do anything to get rid of you :stuck_out_tongue: Tjhe same problem happens with security men, who will not let yopu in without an appointment

Good information on this thread, which I might well be using myself in the very near future.
I passed my class 2 at the beginning of December, and did some agency work in the run up to christmas, which I enjoyed, but then started a tele sales job which I had lined up a while ago.
Tele sales has turned out to be call-centre hell. We are all familiar with these pests that try to save us a fortune on the cost of BT calls, so I couldn’t believe it when told that was what we are going to be doing! 150 calls per day, to people who at best will humour you, and at worst swear at you before hanging up…
I have phoned the agency I worked for before xmas, they can give me [possibly] 4 days work per week as it is quiet just now. Other agency I phoned can’t offer anything until February, so looks like I am stuck where I am for a couple of weeks at least.
Anybody know of anyone looking for reliable full time class 2 driver in North Ayrshire/ Renfrewshire/ Inverclyde areas■■? W.H. Malcolm would be good! I might just go and knock on their door, nothing to lose…

Al.