Advice and recommendations required

Hi everyone! I’m really interested in driving HGV’s for a living. I’m 23 and live in Dorset (south west). I would like to be pointed in the right direction,to at least a half decent training centre that isn’t going to rip me off. I’ve been looking at what mostly seems to be brokers sites I.e advantagehgv and directlgv etc and there all charging 1200 plus! Where as I’ve seen them else were for around 850. Can anyone recommend any reasonably close to my area that possibly also do finance options. And can anyone say if it would be a better option for me to do say the medical and theory seperatly on my own and not part of a package? Would it save me much money? Is it worth it?
Sorry for all the questions,just like to be sure of things before I commit

Hi

£1200+ isn’t expensive - depending on what you’re getting for it. Strongly suggest you go visit the trainer, have assessment drives (you will need a provisional licence to do this) and then make up your mind. Whatever you do, keep away from brokers. They will take your money and then take their time getting you booked with a trainer that you could have done yourself cheaper and more quickly.

Only part with money once you are totally satisfied; the only exception is booking on rock-solid recommendation. Some people travel substantial distances to get good training.

Be careful of what is on offer for £850 - - it could be fine but you may fnd all sorts of extras that will come and get you from behind.

Remember that, unless you passed your car test before 1997, you have to complete the driver cpc and this has a cost of around £275 total. Some trainers include this, others don’t. Brokers wont mention it as they just want your money.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

And can anyone say if it would be a better option for me to do say the medical and theory seperatly on my own and not part of a package? Would it save me much money? Is it worth it?

Impossible to say :laughing: :laughing:

finance options

Ask the trainer :laughing: :laughing:

Best advice is don’t bother just yet.

At 23 and a new licence holder getting work will be harder than finding a page 3 model with a PhD in Quantum Physics…

Unless you enjoy working hard for very litte wage i’d have a rethink my friend.

Sorry to be so negative but better you know how it is before spending. :wink:

Dan8819:
And can anyone say if it would be a better option for me to do say the medical and theory seperatly on my own and not part of a package? Would it save me much money? Is it worth it?

I had my medical, applied for my provisional and took both my theory tests before I went near a truck. It’s really not hard to do this off of your own back. It’s just a case of filling out a couple of forms and booking a couple of things on the DSA website.

Hi Dan

Step 1 - Apply for Form D2 (LGV Provisional application)
dft.gov.uk/dvla/onlineservic … spx?ext=dg

Step 2 - Download Form D4 (LGV medical form)
flairtraining.co.uk/universi … report.pdf

Step 3 - Book LGV medical
driversmedicals.com/

Step 4 - Study for LGV theory test
drivingtheory4all.co.uk/Publ … x?type=LGV

Step 5 - When licence back from DVLA, book LGV theory tests
direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItO … /DG_197297

Once theory passed call a few training providers and arrange an assessment drive then decide which one suits you best. As you are 23 you passed your car test after 01/01/1997. You will therefore also need to arrange the Initial CPC training and tests.

Hope this makes it seem fairly simple, because it is really.

Re: Advice and recommendations required

Postby LGVTrainer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:38 pm
Hi Dan

Step 1 - Apply for Form D2 (LGV Provisional application)
dft.gov.uk/dvla/onlineservic … spx?ext=dg

Step 2 - Download Form D4 (LGV medical form)
flairtraining.co.uk/universi … report.pdf

Step 3 - Book LGV medical
driversmedicals.com/

Step 4 - Study for LGV theory test
drivingtheory4all.co.uk/Publ … x?type=LGV

Step 5 - When licence back from DVLA, book LGV theory tests
direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItO … /DG_197297

Once theory passed call a few training providers and arrange an assessment drive then decide which one suits you best. As you are 23 you passed your car test after 01/01/1997. You will therefore also need to arrange the Initial CPC training and tests.

Hope this makes it seem fairly simple, because it is really.

Everything John has said is correct. But it’s even easier to get your trainer to do it all for you. Some trainers, us included, will organise the theory tests etc in the hope that you will come for practical training - - but we can’t make you!! Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

there’s a recent thread about training near you here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=77917

it’s best to visit a couple of trainers to look at the vehicles and talk to the trainers

Good Luck

Hi there Dan,

I sort of agree with truckulent in that you will probably find it harder than most in finding a job until you pass 25 years of age. In saying that, there’s no harm at all in obtaining the licence now and then you will be all ready to dive straight in when a position becomes available later on.

Good Luck to you fella! :sunglasses: