Advice about pay please

Hi all, I have recently passed my C+E test & am waiting to hear from agency about going to an ADR job interveiw,
Thursday through to Monday (5 days) what would be a fair rate of pay please ,as a newbie & could I expect a highroad rate per hour over the weekend , please any advise would be great off you more experienced drivers, I’m working today so will have to reply later on in break or end of shift, thanks

Some agencies pay time and half on a Saturday and double on a Sunday, but some also pay a small increased rate for Saturday and Sunday, I think it depends on who the job is for and what rate the agency can charge.

all of my weekend work is at least time and half…i would`nt do it for less.however,if you need the experience,you might have to eat ■■■■ for a while :cry:

The agency i used to work for had a very annoying habit of not paying what i was owed, with days pay missing and hours missing,when i rang to moan, i got, sorry the normal wage clerk is off sick today, or she has popped down to the bank or shops.
They are hoping that some drivers do not check their wage slips and are chancing that they they will get away with and make money out of you, lets say they have 250 drivers on the books, and they make a fiver or tenner, they are on a winner, the boss at one agency had his own helicopter to save driving the car to visit his other agencies, i used to think i was paying for his aviation fuel.

bonnie lass:
… what would be a fair rate of pay please , …

Hi BL,

There’s no really definitive answer to your question. :frowning:

Agencies (and their client companies) vary greatly, as does the work they’ll ask you to do.

Some will pay premium rates at weekends, but others won’t.
Some will pay a slightly higher rate for ADR work, but others won’t.
Some are really good, some are ok, but others are really bad.
These variables can also vary from one part of the country to another.

It saddens me to say that it’s fair to say that your newness to LGV driving dictates that you’ll probably have to take some crap/badly paid jobs for a while. :frowning:

To balance that negativity a bit, it’s good that you got some C+E work and so it’s not all doom and gloom. :smiley:

Many thanks for your replies, it seems to be the case of "as long as you can survive on it ", type senario doesn’t it :confused: I’m hoping all goes well at the interveiw as my job pending closure, & I need to have an ongoing replacement job. Although I’m a newbie c+e driver I have been lucky enough to have been offered a number of days work, but unfortunately nothing permanent , only the above mentioned subject to interveiw. Thanks again for you input :slight_smile:

bonnie lass:
I have recently passed my C+E test.

What would be a fair rate of pay please as a newbie

Take whatever they offer for now - your C+E experience is most important.

(In any case, it should be more than £8 Thu/Fri, £11 Sat, £13 Sun, PAYE)

Then dump them as soon as you can get “proper” employment, making sure
that you collect all the PAYE holiday pay that you have earnt.

Your right about gaining important experience, & I’m realy hoping that all goes well with the interveiw because I will be having to relocate & will need to be able to pay rent, bill, & run a vehile to work etc.
Thanks for the monetry figures guide, that is very helpfull & gives me margine to work in. The job is suposed to be ongoing, but I will know better after speaking to them in person. So fingers crossed :sunglasses: I’d better set to & make a list of questions to ask them!! Thank you for your help :smiley: :smiley:

pay rates are very regional, and can vary, a little more info on which area the OP is may help.
£8/£12/£16 p/hr for PAYE used to be the norm with the agencies several years ago, but in some areas those rates have gone down, and in other areas the core rates have gone up, but the premium rates have dropped 50p -£1 p/hr, or they`ve changed to flat rates

I’m hoping for the Shrewsbury/mid wales boarder ‘If’ all goes well!! :sunglasses:
And if it doesn’t go accordingly, anywhere I can get an ongoing pernament job will do!!I :sunglasses: But not London, I’m a rural person .
I have tried to do as much research into pay ,in different parts of the country, but I’d be probably on a newbies wage & anything advertised with a wage per hour is in most cases for the experienced driver, that’s where I’m finding it hard to get a realistic figure so I can make a ‘survial’ list :open_mouth: I would need to balance a wage , against the cost of living in that area :sunglasses: