Advice about hgv medical

A friend of mine living abroad is due to have his UK truckers licence renewed in September. He is booked in for his medical in September here in the UK. Change in circumstances mean that he has to go to NZ & has no time to take the Medical. He won`t need the truckers licence until next summer. Can anyone tell me that if he lets the HGV licence lapse for a year will it be renewed or will he have to take the complete driving test again…?

…as well as the Medical…?

fairly sure you just retake the medical.

You dont actually lose the licence it just expires ready for renewal.

dennisw1 Thanks for that. He will be relieved to hear it… :smiley:

Unless the law has changed again you can let your licence lapse for up to ten years without retaking a test but he would need the medical when he comes to renew.

Harry put a query into the DVLC and get a answer from
the people who issue the licences as this then gives
a answer which your friend can use when he comes back and renews his licence

repairman Thats good news.
brit pete Thats also good advice. But I shall let him do that. He has a phone & PC. Altho he lives in Swiss.

harry:
A friend of mine living abroad is due to have his UK truckers licence renewed in September. He is booked in for his medical in September here in the UK. Change in circumstances mean that he has to go to NZ & has no time to take the Medical. He won`t need the truckers licence until next summer. Can anyone tell me that if he lets the HGV licence lapse for a year will it be renewed or will he have to take the complete driving test again…?

No he is OK H

I would advise cotswold medicals off here they sorted me out and I saved a few quid as well for a few beers that I don’t touch a drop of Doc :wink: :wink:

HONEST!!

repairman:
Unless the law has changed again you can let your licence lapse for up to ten years without retaking a test but he would need the medical when he comes to renew.

That was my understanding as well.

Still best to check.

thecoder0 Thanks for that cody. Thats the news he will want to hear.
Whereabouts is Cotwolds Med based…?
Krankee Well ,its solved the short-term problem . So I will let him make the calls.

harry:
Whereabouts is Cotwolds Med based…?

Various places around the country. There’s a link to their website in the Useful Links forum.

MrFlibble Thanks for that.