Advert responses from would be drivers

I’ve just seen an advert on FB:
Rigid tipper Driver wanted.
Mid Somerset
(Company name was given
Contact phone number was given)

Not one, but TWO seperarate people replied with
“In which area?”

FFS… In the middle perhaps? Probably no more than an hour from any other part of the county? Pick up the phone maybe?

I can’t help thinking that if this is the extent of someone’s greographical ability, then driving probably isn’t the right career for them.

area code should give them a rough idea if not google
how many requests were there for the pay rate than how many comments of im not working for that

You are going to be so embarrassed when you re -read the post.

who is bloody 20 character minimum

Where is the job?

The job in Mid-Somerset?

I’ll have a bet that it ain’t in Yorkshire.

job is mid Kent phone number is 01895 123456 don’t have to be a rocket scientist to know that is tunbridge wells or tel number is 01233 123456 again its going to be ashford

Hands up…
I am lost !

An advert says

What have I missed?

i think we are talking across purposes … i was agreeing with zac and adding to it saying if they wanted more info the area code is a give away or if they don’t recognise it google the company name

Cross purposes then. :kissing_heart:

20 Characters minimum ?

Just type a few underscores ( ____ ) beneath your message and the system will replace them with a line across the page like bellow.

Alternatively you can use hyphens ( ------ ) which will also result in a line across the page but you will need to leave a complete empty line under your comment otherwise the hyphens will result in the previous characters being bold.

Personally I think either of these ways of circumventing the minimum 20 character bullcrap leaves a tidier and more readable post than typing some nonsense to make up the number of characters :slight_smile:

It didn’t seem necessary to mention it at the time, but clearly it might have helped for me to state it was a mobile number. But if someone can be bothered to identify the area code surely they could be bothered to pick up the phone and ask “Oo arr… where in Zummerzet be thee then my luvver” (Blame Bill Bailey for my idea of what zummerzet people sound like)

Anyway, area codes are only a moderate guide, eg 0191 covers Newcastle, Sunderland, large parts of County Durham, Peterlee…
If someone advertised a job as mid-Co. Durham I doubt they’d have any patience with someone who asked “which part of Co. Durham…”

personally i would of googled the company name saves wasting everyone’s time if it was in an area i was prepared to travel to then call for the details.

Having said all this just before xmas i cold called a company that’s local to me to see if they had any work. Guy seemed quite surprised i was able to describe where he was.

Did you know it takes 3 hours to drive from one side of Somerset to the other. So being a bit more specific would be helpful.
If it’s listed on Facebook, surely they are expecting replies on Facebook? Why would you change the medium to a telephone?

It’s a tipper company. If it takes you three hours to cross Somerset I’d politely suggest that you are not the type of driver they are looking for :joy:

3 Likes

FB would be the initial medium, adding the phone number suggests they actively do want to move the discussion. Plus, by the time these guys have hummed and harred over the location, there’s a significant chance the job will have been taken, it’s “an employers market”.

01895 is UXBRIDGE
01892 is Paddock Wood/Tunbridge Wells.

01223 is Cambridge
01233 is Ashford

Be careful with your typos - some of us are dyslexic! :crazy_face:

Foaming from Frome :upside_down_face: