Advanced warning, Westbury, Wiltshire

Next Saturday at 7 am , the chimney at the old Westbury cement factory will be blown up, the roads in the area will be very busy, due to traffic restrictions from 5 am to 8.30 am.
If you are planning to come near in a lorry, i would advise another route , the best view point to see the demolition will be from the White Horse hill top .
The chimney is 122 meters high and will need 216 packages of Nitroglycerine explosives , i expect the event will be very busy as you do not see this every day .

Are Coleman and Co doing the demolition? If so I’d give them a wide berth. They’ve only just found the three blokes they buried at Didcot power station back in February.
Is Westbury closing, or is just disused parts under demolition?

I see that the chimney on the Isle of Grain at Kingsnorth has just been blown up (but think that should read ‘down’) it were a handy landmark for when coming into the Thames estuary from the north.

raymundo:
I see that the chimney on the Isle of Grain at Kingsnorth has just been blown up (but think that should read ‘down’) it were a handy landmark for when coming into the Thames estuary from the north.

I hope you’re using an AA road atlas as well to navigate pal! :open_mouth:

Raymundo, apparently our resident Dozy is the chief detonation officer for the Westbury chimney, I have told the residents of the town to sell their house now or just get out of dodge, just in case Dozy gets the amount of bang bang in a too high a quantity .
But he is ADR trained, so let us hope it all goes as planned .
I did email Carryfast if he would like to sit on top of the chimney to take some nice aerial shots, but the offer was declined . :smiley: :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

raymundo:

Thought a sextant and star chart were more up his street…?.. alley?..Stream, maybe.

Just an update its next Sunday morning not Saturday as said earlier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Franglais:

Evil8Beezle:

raymundo:

Thought a sextant and star chart were more up his street…?.. alley?..Stream, maybe.

independent.co.uk/news/uk/th … 10914.html

Evil8Beezle:

Franglais:

Evil8Beezle:

raymundo:

independent.co.uk/news/uk/th … 10914.html

Future candidate for the “Darwin Awards” I wonder?

Or it’s Glory Boy’s old man! :laughing:

Muckaway:
Are Coleman and Co doing the demolition? If so I’d give them a wide berth. They’ve only just found the three blokes they buried at Didcot power station back in February.
Is Westbury closing, or is just disused parts under demolition?

Cuddy seem to be doing it, I have taken some loads to Sims Avonmouth.

Franglais:

Evil8Beezle:

raymundo:

Nope, none of those as they are old fashioned and only tell you where you have been and give you a rough idea of where you are going. We do have the latest Admiralty charts at £22.70 each (I think) and weekly Notices to Mariners which gives you any recent changes but I use electronic charts to supplement the paper ones which are up dated on a yearly basis and also in consultation with the NtM, but I seem to remember Bking saying that GPS does not exist so I might be imagining the last bit :slight_smile:

Lets hope the people watching do better than this bunch of wallys.

kentonline.co.uk/medway/news … in-102075/