ADR without Orange plates

Hi All,
Just a quick question about ADR,
I have an adr licence but I cant seem to find a definitive answer to my query.

I have 380kgs of Class 6.1 Pg 3 on my trailer (fridge),
Its not Limited Quantities, Its packed in 3 drums, Its medicine or some sort of medical product. Probably tablets.

Can I carry it by road without orange plates open ?
I know I need the orange plates and the class 6.1 placards for shipping but not sure about road. Just leaving sodertalje in Sweden so I have a few boats to deal with before I get to the Uk.

Only asking because its a pain traveling at 80k (50mph) with haz on the motorways, they are very strict on this in some countries especially Germany. I remember carrying up to 1000kgs of class 3 years ago without plates and I think that weight has gone up to 2000kgs now. Never had a problem.

Any Ideas

For hazard class 6.1 I think that up to 333 kg is possible. See paragraph 1.1.3.6 from ADR.

eurotrucker10:
Hi All,
Just a quick question about ADR,
I have an adr licence but I cant seem to find a definitive answer to my query.

I have 380kgs of Class 6.1 Pg 3 on my trailer (fridge),
Its not Limited Quantities, Its packed in 3 drums, Its medicine or some sort of medical product. Probably tablets.

Can I carry it by road without orange plates open ?
I know I need the orange plates and the class 6.1 placards for shipping but not sure about road. Just leaving sodertalje in Sweden so I have a few boats to deal with before I get to the Uk.

Only asking because its a pain traveling at 80k (50mph) with haz on the motorways, they are very strict on this in some countries especially Germany. I remember carrying up to 1000kgs of class 3 years ago without plates and I think that weight has gone up to 2000kgs now. Never had a problem.

Any Ideas

Hi eurotrucker,

The standard ‘freebie’ for Class 6.1 PGIII is 333kg because it’s in Transport Category 2 (ADR 1.1.3.6.3)

However, ADR has some exemptions for some medicines, so the UN number and details of any inner packagings placed into the drums might be of help in this case.

From the info you’ve given so far, I’d say that you are subject to ADR in full.

When you travel by ferry, the ADR orange plates have no meaning in IMDG, so they wouldn’t care whether you have them on or not.
However, it’s correct that (for IMDG) you will need 3 x Class 6.1 placards to be placed on two sides and the rear of your vehicle, which can be removed for the final leg of the road journey once you’ve finished with the ferries.

dmradu:
For hazard class 6.1 I think that up to 333 kg is possible. See paragraph 1.1.3.6 from ADR.

Yes, this one is a little odd because TC limit is the same for 6.1 PGII and PGIII. :smiley: