ADR training

I’ve recently passed my class 2 and got my CPC and tacho card, so I’m ready to go, so to speak. Although I haven’t yet got my class 1, am I able to take the ADR training first? ( I would like to go in to tanker work ) I have a few spare weeks available to me in which I could attend a course.

I do intend to take my class 1, but am initially going to do some class 2 agency work.

Thanks

For sure you can do your ADR. Plenty of Class 2 tanker work.

You don’t even need a driving license to do an ADR! (though there wouldn’t be much point, obviously)

Thanks guys

I am based in Bristol and looking to have my CPC done by Christmas. Quite interested in ADR & CPC - 2 in 1 - whereas ADR counts as 28 hours against CPC. Looking for reliable place to do that. Willing to travel out of Bristol. Can you recommend?

I can heartilly recommend Ideal driver training in Taunton.

I have the opportunity to attend an ADR course next week (minus the tanks module) just before I start using my recently acquired HGV class 2 licence, working for an agency (from 17th September).

The course costs £380 ( I will add the tanks module at a later date) The money isn’t really an issue at the moment, but can anyone advise whether it would be beneficial for me to do this course now. Would it open up doors for me, at a time when I’m a Newbie and haven’t actually done any HGV driving yet? Cheers

archno1:
I have the opportunity to attend an ADR course next week (minus the tanks module) just before I start using my recently acquired HGV class 2 licence, working for an agency (from 17th September).

The course costs £380 ( I will add the tanks module at a later date) The money isn’t really an issue at the moment, but can anyone advise whether it would be beneficial for me to do this course now. Would it open up doors for me, at a time when I’m a Newbie and haven’t actually done any HGV driving yet? Cheers

It can depend on the type of work you choose to do and the area you’re in.
I found mine useful doing pallet work when I started out, and probably made my limping in each day more secure than the non ADR limpers.
Plus I live just down the road from a Refinery, so have since found it useful on other jobs…

And to shamelessly plug a thread I did about the course, here you go: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=128053

Best of luck pal!

archno1:
… am I able to take the ADR training first? …

Hi archno1,

As mentioned above, you CAN take an ADR course right now if you wish.

Once you do your driving licence upgrade, you need take no further action as regards ADR because the ADR licence qualifies you to carry dangerous goods, whereas a driving licence entitles you to drive a vehicle, so there’s no connection.

Cheers for advice. I don’t know whether it will be useful or not, but you never know what the future holds. I haven’t got a refinery near to me, but there are other dangerous goods to transport.

If I’m going to be totally honest with you I would say save your money and get some driving experience first. I did my adr with tankers around 2-3 months ago, it was a waste of time and money. Everyone I have rang trying to get into it just knock you back saying they’ve got 20 people with years tanking experience going for this job and this its real hard to get into. I basically paid £600 for 28 hours towards my next batch of cpc. After doing your ADR you still need to get your PDP which isn’t exactly something you can pay to get as you obviously need a full tank of fuel to show an examiner how to unload/load it.

I have had my class 1 for 10 years and have nearly 7 years use with no accidents or serious driver faults. By all means if its what you want to do go for it but right now for me its seems a little far fetched and out of reach to get into. I’ve got to the stage now aswell where I can’t remember nothing I learned during the 5 day course so I’ve pretty much given up searching! I’ve heard ■■■ tankers pay just aswell as the fuel but I don’t know who I would have to contact to get into that.

Good luck if you end up going for it, don’t take this post as a knock back because I’m sure some get into it easier than others but I would find a job before paying out for it first. It really isn’t easy to get into with no experience, sadly =(. All the best.

(Maybe its my age though? 27)

We’d rather have the right person with no ADR than the wrong person with ADR and we’ve only once had someone apply with Class 1 Explosives in 25 years.

@Williams 9881 - we took on a lad age 23, put him straight through his ADR and off he trots round Europe with 1 on the back. It’s just luck of the draw tbh.