ADR Tanker work

I have just passed the ADR with tanks and am now looking for work around the Trafford park area driving tankers, but if the money is good enough I am willing to relocate anywhere in the UK.
does anyone have any usefull advise for me.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

have you drove tankers before?

No.
although I have driven just about everything else.

Very hard to get a start doing petrol tanker work. Companies who do that type of work normally pay well so don’t be looking for drivers to often and when they are they want adr tanker experience And will get hundreds and hundreds applying.

The way I got a start into petrol tanker work was 6 years with two well established home heating oil companies (i did a small amount of perrol with them) then drove waste water tankers then car transporters for a bit then got a start in petrol tankers. I found it was the two references I got from the heating oil companies that got me a start in petrol tankers as I did not know anyone who drove them.

If I was you would apply for every job you find advertised for adr tanker work but if you find full time home heating oil type work I think it a good start for a year or two.

Just what I think other people could say im mad but it worked for me Im driving petrol tankers now and in the last two wks got offered two full time jobs with other companies.

jjmorris1960:
No.
although I have driven just about everything else.

Hi mate,

Your ADR training provider or instructor should have mentioned that the ADR ‘in tanks’ licence is only sufficient to get you in through the gate if there’s an interview on offer at a tanker company.
TBH, I always advise people against the tanker module if there’s no realistic expectation of a start on tankers, and that’s simply because folks can save £100+ and (usually) be back available for work 1.5 days earlier if they don’t take the optional tanker module.
However, I have heard of some ADR providers who don’t quite make it clear that the tanker module is optional. :imp:

At least, now that you have the ADR tanker module on your licence, you’re OK to start having a look around at the tankering jobs and you’re equipped for in case there’s a job going.

You might have to start on non-dangerous stuff to gain some tanker experience, or delivering cylinders/drums for fuel companies before an internal transfer to their tanker fleet in much the same way as starting at the bottom in any other part of the driving game.

No point getting ADR then, I’ll keep my money in my pocket & look for something else to waste it on…

Pimpdaddy:
No point getting ADR then, I’ll keep my money in my pocket & look for something else to waste it on…

If you read my post, I was speaking about the tanker module only.

There’s far more work carrying dangerous goods in packages, and it’s a shorter and cheaper course too.

PM sent.

If you are near a Main Calor Centre, you may be able to apply for their National Trunking Positions through Manpower.

They will be recruiting in a month or 2 for the Winter season.

That’s how I got my start, I passed my ADR and Class 1 in Sep last year, so it is possible.

Pimpdaddy:

It’s worth having anyway, I’ve got my ADR but not sure whether to renew it when it’s due though…

DAF95XF:

Pimpdaddy:

It’s worth having anyway, I’ve got my ADR but not sure whether to renew it when it’s due though…

Then I’ll give you the same honest advice too Stu…

If there’s no likelihood (or wish) of getting a job involving tankers, then my advice is to give the optional tanker module a miss and save some cash for other things.

dieseldave:

DAF95XF:

Pimpdaddy:

Then I’ll give you the same honest advice too Stu…

If there’s no likelihood (or wish) of getting a job involving tankers, then my advice is to give the optional tanker module a miss and save some cash for other things.

I haven’t even thought about doing the tanker part, I’ve just got the packages one.
I know that there is more chance of pigs flying than getting a job driving petrol tankers :wink:

Stick a speculative application through stobarts website. I know there looking to take on more tanker drivers in the near future and your halfway there with your adr. I’m led to believe they give you 4 weeks training anyway with an experienced tanker driver.

Don’t be fooled into thinking petrol tanker work is the same job it was 20 years ago, I drove for BP for 18 years & whilst terms & conditions were good back then, they’ve whittled away at everything from overtime to pensions.

A lot of firms now use contractors instead of in house drivers & some of them around Grangemouth are paying as little as £10/hour, with a 50p premium for night shift!

The heating oil/Domestic tankers is a crap job, pulling 100 ft of hose (full of product) around the backs of houses, over walls & thru the dogs latest deposit! Money for that aint pretty either!

Deffo not the job it once was.

My argument exactly all I know & want to do involving ADR is fuel tankers. I don’t live near a refinery but there are a few small/independent firms that transport fuel & I’m guessing they are impossible to get into. I’ve also been keeping an eye on vacancies & most packages don’t pay as much as I’m on now, so I’m asking myself what’s the point…!? @dieseldave I understand what you’re saying…

It’s like any other ‘extra’ qual. i.e. it can put you towards the front of the queue when job hunting & more options available with it than without it. In short I view it as an extra string to your bow.
The course is modular so tankers can be bolted on when & if reqd. at any approved training provider.

Sometimes employers need drivers quickly with current ADR licence rather than waiting for them to attend & pass the course. Also can count as 21hrs DCPC training - two birds, one stone!!!

Would have to disagree with diesel Dave on not doing the tanker part of adr training, especially if tanker work is something you want to do.

I was driving package adr when I was sent for package adr training two wks later I went back to do the tanker section at my cost. A letter to the local home heating oil company and six months later I was driving a two month old p310 scania on good pay. Lucky I know but if I had not did the tanker section I would not have got in the door. … if you dont have full tanker adr they will just move on to the next lad who has it. saves them time and money.

Home heating oil is a hard job in the winter I was doing 20 to 30 drops a day. Not a job for a lad who wants to sit on his ■■■. But during the summer plenty of time off.

Petrol work I like would rather be doing full loads straight from the depot rather than ■■■■■■■ about with the like of eddie stobart. Like every job pay rates depend on the company and if they want to keep you.

You may note that the op didn’t mention fuel tankers at all, I’d imagine that there’s plenty of other tank work (lift tanks for example) in his area, or only a short drive away.

Imo fuel tanker driving is a horrible job. I’ve done a fair bit of it and hated every minute, it’s all chase, chase, chase, grabbing breaks while you’re tipping (if you’re lucky enough to get a gravity drop). I bet not many of you have ever overtaken a fuel tanker? As has been mentioned before all the plum jobs have gone and been taken over by companies like Hoyer who have over the years chipped away at the T’s & C’s until the wages are frankly appalling.

The best tanker job I did was a 3 compartment tank subbed out to a speciality chemical manufacturer, interesting varied work, treat like a grown up, and made to feel like a valued member of the team. Ten years of bliss that was. :smiley:

There is plenty of edible oil work around trafford park and you gain some common sense around tankers. Let the company pay for the ADR at a later date