ADR speed limits and weekend bans in Europe

What are the speed limits for ADR loads,for which countries apply,and what time are you not allowed to drive,to which countries,at the weekends?Seen portuguese running adr in France at late afternoon.Sat 22.00 to Sunday 22.00 for normal traffic,im aware of that bit.

toby1234abcGO and read the EURO STICKYS as here is
lots of information that you asked about, if you still have questions then come back and post them as some one will come forward and answer it or them,

toby1234abc:
What are the speed limits for ADR loads, …

Hi Toby, I’m being VERY careful with my wording here… :wink:

The general answer to your question (as you wrote it) is 90kmh.
The 90kmh speed limit applies to vehicles with a permitted GVW in excess of 3.5t.
The speed limiter MUST also be set to 90kmh.
(That little lot is in ADR 2009 section 9.2.5 before anybody asks. :grimacing: )

but please be aware, some countries have lower speed limits for vehicles carrying ‘in scope’ dangerous goods, so I agree with brit pete that it’s best if you check the stickies. :wink:

Thanks to you both.See all adr french trucks doing 70kmh from Bordeaux to Irun on the forest road.Long queues of hgv traffic due to enforced no overtaking ban on some stretches.

wouldn’t want to disagree with someone as knowledgable as diesel dave but when taking ADR class in spain they told me the limit was 80kmh not 90 in europe and in france its 10k under other trucks speed so they do 70 on forest road because technically that road is 80 for trucks

welshboyinspain:
wouldn’t want to disagree with someone as knowledgable as diesel dave but when taking ADR class in spain they told me the limit was 80kmh not 90 in europe and in france its 10k under other trucks speed so they do 70 on forest road because technically that road is 80 for trucks

Hi welshboyinspain, and in my turn, I wouldn’t disagree with somebody who lives and works in a particular country.

Section 9.2.5 of ADR sets the general speed limit, AND requires a speed limitation device to be fitted and set to 90kmh for ‘in scope’ vehicles. Any country that wishes to do so may impose a lower speed limit, so the speed limit is 90kmh unless otherwise restricted.

That’s why I wrote this:

… but please be aware, some countries have lower speed limits for vehicles carrying ‘in scope’ dangerous goods,…

:sunglasses: :wink: :grimacing:

Speed limits for ADR/HAZ transport are lower than the normal speed
limit for lorrys in some countrys,ignorance will not save you from the penalty,

there should be a link on the euro stickys showing the speed limits

I know the Autoroute limit for trucks carrying ADR in France is 80 k’s.
I agree with welshboyinspain, about the limit being 10k’s below the normal limit for trucks on any particular road in France too. That’s the way the French do things.

In Germany, the Autobahn limit for all trucks is 80 k’s. They are very strict in enforcing that on ADR loads. Otherwise, in general, they’ll ignore 90 k’s, but don’t go over that. If you do and they spot you, your in it deep.

I’m fairly sure there isn’t a lower limit in Belgium for ADR.
There has been a rumour going around for quite some time now, that the Belgian Police will fine you for speeding by counting how many overspeed warnings you have on your digi-tach print out.
If that’s true, then don’t ‘let it go’ for too long in the Ardennes.
1 minute at 90k’s means 1.5km travelled. Watch your speedo and the marker posts.
If you are doing 91 or over for more than a minute, you’ll get an overspeed warning. :smiling_imp:

Times in France for ADR are that you must be off the road by Mid-day Saturday and not resume until Mid-night Sunday (00.01 Monday) Treat Bank Holidays as a Sunday, i.e 1st May falls on a Thusrday, you must be off the road Mid-day Wednesday and resume 00.01 Friday.