ADR regulations for carrying fire extinguishers

One for diesel Dave maybe.

We’ve just started carrying fire extinguishers from manufacturers to customer. Water, dry powder and CO2. We were told that even though the C02 is compressed gas, it doesnt fall under ADR regs. How do we as drivers stand?

Just a guess but I assume each extinguisher doesn’t hold enough to make it outside the limited quantity rules?

Ask dozy about carrying fire extinguishers :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OVLOV JAY:

Beat me to it. :laughing:
Being an Actros driver I carry a fire extinguisher filled with petrol. :smiley:

Nowt like fanning the flames when it comes to a Mercedes

robroy:

OVLOV JAY:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Is that a dual vehicle one that does IVECO’S as well :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What a dilemma for them, Do you need a fire extinguisher, when you have a load of fire extinguishers… Now this could easily confuse a pointy shoe logistics numpty, O and me.

Once came across a car at the side of the road,that was just starting to catch fire.
Occupants cowering in the hedgerow etc.
Being a newly qualified adr driver…i pulled over(in true super hero fashion)jumped out…and ripped the fire extinguisher out of the box,on the side of the wagon.
Walked over to the(smouldering more heavily)car,with a purposeful gait…and pulled the pin.
Nothing happened,and I was so embarrassed,I drove away and left them to burn.

Rare interesting point from D.C.P.C. Alert
if the extinguisher you are carrying is more than a month out of date ie inspection thats a £100.00 fine
i have no reason to doubt this as dcpc guy is well informed
which means thats another thing to check or leave at depot

Notimetoulouse:
if the extinguisher you are carrying is more than a month out of date ie inspection thats a £100.00 fine

How would anyone know when it was installed, not all have dated stickers as per office/workshops etc?

How long do fire extinguishers typically last for before being out of date?
Can’t say I’ve ever checked the date on one - I don’t do ADR though.

Trickydick:

Notimetoulouse:

How would anyone know when it was installed, not all have dated stickers as per office/workshops etc?

Very true …im making the presumption that there would be an best before manufacters label at least
im also pointing out that its another thing that you can get tripped up on without realising it

Trickydick:

Notimetoulouse:

It should have an annual inspection sticker if being used as part of your adr kit

robroy:

OVLOV JAY:

I feel your pain brother… Our MAN has been replaced by a Merc. Ive had two days in it, and not a good nights sleep. My back is already telling me to find another job…

Pass me the matches. :grimacing:

Notimetoulouse:

More CPC Bull… There currently no Fixed Penalty offences in relation to breach of ADR regs. It is being looked at and has been so for the past few years…

The link gives the matrix. 1 FE out of date less than 3 months is a delayed prohibition as long as the 2Nd( if required) is in working order.

hse.gov.uk/cdg/manual/opstra … m#annex3-1

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Nite Owl:

We’ve just started carrying fire extinguishers from manufacturers to customer. Water, dry powder and CO2. We were told that even though the C02 is compressed gas, it doesnt fall under ADR regs. How do we as drivers stand?

Hi Nite Owl,

If the extinguishers are the normal hand-held type and they contain a compressed gas OR a liquefied gas, then they aren’t subject to ADR provided that…

• They are protected from inadvertent discharge, AND
  • They are packed in a strong outer package

There are a couple of other possibilities, but my guess is that the extinguishers are of the type described above.
If that’s true, they do count as dangerous goods, but they are NOT subject to ADR (road) Regs by virtue of ADR Special Provision 594.

Please post up if the extinguishers are different to the above.

dieseldave:

Nite Owl:

Hi Nite Owl,

If the extinguishers are the normal hand-held type and they contain a compressed gas OR a liquefied gas, then they aren’t subject to ADR provided that…

There are a couple of other possibilities, but my guess is that the extinguishers are of the type described above.
If that’s true, they do count as dangerous goods, but they are NOT subject to ADR (road) Regs by virtue of ADR Special Provision 594.

Cheers dave, that’s spot on. Seems like my gaffers were right after all.

Nite Owl:

dieseldave:

Nite Owl:

Hi Nite Owl,

Cheers dave, that’s spot on. Seems like my gaffers were right after all.

Aren’t they always :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

If you haven’t got a sealed dated extinguisher you may as well leave them in the office until it is.

Most European drivers will have been checked or fined for an extinguisher not showing the expiry date rather than the test date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to shake powder extinguishers or only the propellant comes out even better slam the base into your tyre wall a few times then use.