ADR Regs for non ADR drivers

Can anyone please tell me what the legal amount of hazardous goods a non ADR driver can carry or
point me in the right direction to find guidence on this. Thanks Stacey

Diesel Dave will be along shortly :wink:

and if he isn’t, send him a PM :wink:

Keep below these limits and I think you will be ok. As mentioned Dave will blow a trumpet at me if I have misled you.

:bulb: Load categories are not hazard classes

Wheel Nut:
Keep below these limits and I think you will be ok. As mentioned Dave will blow a trumpet at me if I have misled you.

:bulb: Load categories are not hazard classes

Hi Malc,

No mate it’s not misleading at all, and I’d say it’s very good as a general rule-of-thumb.

Due to the very complicated way that ADR calculates the level of danger, some dangerous substances or articles (regardless of Packing Group) are instantly and fully regulated even if the cargo is the size of a grain of sand. (TC 0 above) Eg, some radioactive materials.
Sometimes, the full weight of the Regulations applies even if you can’t see the load at all, eg one Ebola virus going from one lab to another for research.

On the other hand…
There are substances and articles that have a UN number, UN Class and Packing Group, but which can be carried without limit (TC 4 above,)
Eg Matches, Firelighters and some forms of Carbon. Not forgetting that there are also some explosives and radioactives that can be carried without limit or the need for orange plates, extinguishers and all the other stuff.

Then, just to keep you on your toes…
There are a number of dangerous substances or articles that can be carried completely free of all intervention from ADR, provided that certain Special Provisions (SPs) are met and complied with.

In short chaps, there’s no easy answer because the answer to any question depends on the name of the ‘stuff’ and the conditions attaching to it.

mark290:
Can anyone please tell me what the legal amount of hazardous goods a non ADR driver can carry or
point me in the right direction to find guidence on this. Thanks Stacey

Hi Stacey,

Sorry for not answering you directly. :blush: :blush:

Malc gave such a good answer above that it was only fair to leave his effort as the basis for my answer. :smiley:

It was a very good question though… :grimacing: