ADR reading

Hi everyone

I’m booked in to do my ADR (core, tanks, packages all mods except 1 and 7) from the 2nd of February with my CE the week after. Nerves and excitement setting in. Just wondering if anyone can recommend any essential reading prior to the ADR. It would be good to go in prepared for what lies ahead as I imagine it’s pretty intense.

Cheers

Rich

Richienic:
Hi everyone

I’m booked in to do my ADR (core, tanks, packages all mods except 1 and 7) from the 2nd of February with my CE the week after. Nerves and excitement setting in. Just wondering if anyone can recommend any essential reading prior to the ADR. It would be good to go in prepared for what lies ahead as I imagine it’s pretty intense.

Cheers

Rich

Hi Richienic,

My best advice (based on 11 years of teaching ADR) is that you don’t read anything in preparation for an ADR course, because it can make things very complicated if you’ve misunderstood anything you’ve read.
After that, it’s the Devil’s own job to un-learn and then re-learn something.

There’s plenty of stuff out there that you could read, including several pages of Q and A in the Safety and law forum, but the potential problem with that is that it was correct at the time it was written, but the question then becomes… is it still correct and up-to-date today??

Another question that you might not have thought about is the level of info that you need.
You could read plenty of stuff, but is it too deep/not deep enough??

An ADR course must follow a set syllabus and be delivered by a qualified ADR tutor.
The ADR exams are designed to test whether you have retained an acceptable level of knowledge from the lessons, but nothing more than that.

I reckon you’ll be quite surprised at how very straightforward it all is once you’ve got into it.

:bulb: The only stupid question is the one that you don’t ask. :wink:

If you get stuck, please don’t hesitate to ask your tutor, or me in here. :smiley:

Do you know where you’re doing your course yet?

dieseldave:

Richienic:
Hi everyone

Cheers

Rich

Hi Richienic,

My best advice (based on 11 years of teaching ADR) is that you don’t read anything in preparation for an ADR course, because it can make things very complicated if you’ve misunderstood anything you’ve read.
After that, it’s the Devil’s own job to un-learn and then re-learn something.

There’s plenty of stuff out there that you could read, including several pages of Q and A in the Safety and law forum, but the potential problem with that is that it was correct at the time it was written, but the question then becomes… is it still correct and up-to-date today??

Another question that you might not have thought about is the level of info that you need.
You could read plenty of stuff, but is it too deep/not deep enough??

An ADR course must follow a set syllabus and be delivered by a qualified ADR tutor.
The ADR exams are designed to test whether you have retained an acceptable level of knowledge from the lessons, but nothing more than that.

I reckon you’ll be quite surprised at how very straightforward it all is once you’ve got into it.

:bulb: The only stupid question is the one that you don’t ask. :wink:

If you get stuck, please don’t hesitate to ask your tutor, or me in here. :smiley:

Do you know where you’re doing your course yet?

Hi Dave

Thanks for the advice. I guess it’s something that is reviewed and updated constantly so better not to have to correct mistakes and relearn. I shall go as a blank canvas to be filled with knowledge. I’ll be doing it with LAGTA in Eurocentral near Glasgow. Did my cat C there and will be doing my CE there also. ADR 2nd-6th Feb, CE 9th-12th. 21 hours towards the CPC from the ADR. I have this RHA direct access course booked to cover the final 14, then it’s onwards and upwards. Doesn’t seem to be anywhere in Scotland that does that one though which is a bit of a pain in the hoop. Bradford appears to be the nearest to me. I can go visit my Auntie in Stockport so that’s ok. If all goes well I should be ready to roll by the end of February :smiley:

If I get stuck I will definitely be on here asking stupid questions :laughing: Thanks again.

Cheers

Rich

Richienic:
… If I get stuck I will definitely be on here asking stupid questions :laughing: Thanks again.

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the extra info.

I can tell you that LAGTA are a well respected and long standing ADR provider.
I’ve not had any dealings with them, but I know them by reputation, and now you know that you’re in good hands. :smiley:

As Dd said, there is no need to prepare before the course, that only leads to confusion.
The course is laid back with no pressure, lots of coffee breaks and a good banter between the instuctor and pupils.
He Will show videos of mass destruction of crashes and impending doom when Adr loads go bang, bang and accidents.
Pay attention to every word the instructor says as if you miss something, that could be the answer in the easy multiple choice questions.

Thanks again for the advice guys. Lagta were great getting me through my cat C first time. My instructor was sound. Firm but fair and very professional and encouraging. Likes a good yarn too. They have a good set up so it made sense to go back to them for my ADR and CE. I would recommend them for sure.