ADR question

Hi all , really directing this question to Diesel Dave but open for input,
If i transport diesel/gas oil in a tanker 35000 ltrs, which on the consignment note states UN1202 with a tunnel cat of D/E with me so far? Then drive through the Wallasey tunnel which is a cat D tunnel with a police ■■■■■■ , am I and dare say the police breaking the law.? :confused:

optidrive:
If i transport diesel/gas oil in a tanker 35000 ltrs, which on the consignment note states UN1202 with a tunnel cat of D/E with me so far? Then drive through the Wallasey tunnel which is a cat D tunnel with a police ■■■■■■ , am I and dare say the police breaking the law.? :confused:

Hi optidrive,

we’re speaking of UN 1202 DIESEL FUEL, 3, PGIII, (D/E) … so the info on your consignment note is correct.

The Wallasey Tunnel has an ADR Cat “D” restriction for dangerous goods.

The meaning of the “D” in the (D/E) on your consignment note is:

According to ADR, a tanker carrying UN 1202 is not allowed through any Cat D road tunnel.
(The “E” in the brackets is irrelevant to your question, because it relates to packages of UN 1202, which ARE allowed through a Cat D tunnel.)

Is this a theoretical question, or has this actually happened?

If it has actually happened, then there might be some local exemption that I’m not aware of.
The Birkenhead and Wallasey tunnels both have their own bye-laws, so maybe what you’ve asked is legal under some local rule.

TBH, I haven’t heard of this, but that doesn’t mean anything.
For at least a couple of years now, I’ve not seen the queue of fuel tankers waiting for ■■■■■■ that used to be a feature of travel through the Wallasey tunnel.

Maybe they reckon it’s cheaper to go around than pay the extortionate ■■■■■■ rates?

Retired Old ■■■■:
Maybe they reckon it’s cheaper to go around than pay the extortionate ■■■■■■ rates?

Hi ROF,

I’ve no idea of the ■■■■■■ rates, but ADR is very clear in that a tanker carrying UN 1202 shouldn’t be going through the Wallasey Tunnel, so it really should be going around and over Runcorn Bridge anyway.

I’d be interested to know whether there’s some extra bye-law or exemption for UN 1202 though, so I’m waiting for optidriver to get back to us.

tunnel bylaws
merseytunnels.co.uk/nossl/html/byelaws.pdf
merseytunnels.co.uk/nossl/da … hp?UN=1202

dieseldave:

optidrive:

Hi optidrive,

we’re speaking of UN 1202 DIESEL FUEL, 3, PGIII, (D/E) … so the info on your consignment note is correct.

The Wallasey Tunnel has an ADR Cat “D” restriction for dangerous goods.

The meaning of the “D” in the (D/E) on your consignment note is:

According to ADR, a tanker carrying UN 1202 is not allowed through any Cat D road tunnel.
(The “E” in the brackets is irrelevant to your question, because it relates to packages of UN 1202, which ARE allowed through a Cat D tunnel.)

Is this a theoretical question, or has this actually happened?

If it has actually happened, then there might be some local exemption that I’m not aware of.
The Birkenhead and Wallasey tunnels both have their own bye-laws, so maybe what you’ve asked is legal under some local rule.

TBH, I haven’t heard of this, but that doesn’t mean anything.
For at least a couple of years now, I’ve not seen the queue of fuel tankers waiting for ■■■■■■ that used to be a feature of travel through the Wallasey tunnel.

Hi Dave, no this is not theoretical , I regularly go through the tunnel in my tanker with a police ■■■■■■ with diesel and or gas oil, I only ask because I recently sat my ADR refresher and tunnel cats was on it. So the question still stands am I and the police breaking the law? ADR is very clear in the fact you either comply fully or not at all.

the flying foden:
tunnel bylaws
merseytunnels.co.uk/nossl/html/byelaws.pdf
merseytunnels.co.uk/nossl/da … hp?UN=1202

Hiya mate, seems I broke most of the by laws , and the police helped me!! :open_mouth: lol