ADR question.

Done and passed my Initial ADR nearly 3 weeks ago. One thing I never thought to ask at the training centre was how long I should expect to wait for my certificate to arrive. Still not recieved it yet and was wondering when I should start chasing it up.

If they told you that you had passed, Im a little surprised you didn’t get it.

No harm in giving them a call in to morning and chasing up

Barbaro:

You find out within 20 mins of finishing the exams if you passed or not because the they are done online. But the issuing of the certificate isn’t the responsibility of the training center. I think its the SQA who do this. Just not sure how long this normally takes.

damoq:

Barbaro:

You find out within 20 mins of finishing the exams if you passed or not because the they are done online. But the issuing of the certificate isn’t the responsibility of the training center. I think its the SQA who do this. Just not sure how long this normally takes.

Not all centres are online yet or at least a few months ago werent

If you passed which I’m sure you have then its not unreasonable to wait 2-3weeks and you will receive a card not a cert from the SQA. :smiley:

Phone the training provider and let them know,that will get the ball rolling,one phone call usually sorts it out!!!

If it don’t get back on the blower! :angry: :angry:

damoq:
You find out within 20 mins of finishing the exams if you passed or not because the they are done online.

Hi damoq,

If you took your exams online, then this is correct.

damoq:
But the issuing of the certificate isn’t the responsibility of the training center.

Correct again.

damoq:
I think its the SQA who do this.

Also correct.

damoq:
Just not sure how long this normally takes.

The normal time period is up to 5 weeks, but it’s running at about 4 weeks at the moment.

One of the commonest causes of hold-ups at the moment is that some candidates are providing unacceptable photographs, or their signature on the photo-form isn’t written strongly enough with the result that the reading machine can’t read it to transfer it to the new ADR card.

As has been mentioned, your best course of action is to contact the provider because they can look online to see what stage of the process is causing any hold-up.

With me it was five weeks exactly and that was about a month ago.

Thanks everyone.:stuck_out_tongue:
I’ll give it the 5 weeks before I start chasing it up. Not desperate for it right now as I don’t need it for at least another 4 weeks yet anyway.

Give it time,did you do tanks because if you did you wont have learned a lot for your 500 /700 quid.
Maybe a lot of bull, but bugger all that matters in the “real world”

Did they "teach"you how to blow a tank,wash tickets,steam warm a tank?

Give mine up because I had to have a “refresher” every 5 years at a cost of £200+per day

Yes chlorine,hydrogen or sulphuric acid really change their chemical and hazardous properties over a short period of time.

Now your man is going to come on here and tell me it aint a money making scam!

Bking:
Give it time,did you do tanks because if you did you wont have learned a lot for your 500 /700 quid.

Give mine up because I had to have a “refresher” every 5 years at a cost of £200+per day

Yes chlorine,hydrogen or sulphuric acid really change their chemical and hazardous properties over a short period of time.

Never done tanks. My work put me through my ADR and they never even paid the extra to give me DCPC credits!!!:sad:

Hi Guys, is there a change to the certificate you get for ADR,? I have had mines for two years now, (Tank & Packages) but moved house twice in that time, do I need to contact anyone?

Sapper

sapper:
Hi Guys, is there a change to the certificate you get for ADR,? I have had mines for two years now, (Tank & Packages) but moved house twice in that time, do I need to contact anyone?

Sapper

It is now a plastic card, it costs £10 to replace your certificate if you lost it, or want to upgrade. Your current certificate is still valid until its expiry date is reached and the refresher is due.

novadata.co.uk/news/6085/ADR … hoto-Card/

damoq:
Done and passed my Initial ADR nearly 3 weeks ago. One thing I never thought to ask at the training centre was how long I should expect to wait for my certificate to arrive. Still not recieved it yet and was wondering when I should start chasing it up.

How did you find it? I’ll be doing mine quite soon.

limeyphil:

damoq:

1st day I thought I was never going to get the hang of it. Seemed an awful lot to take In.
2nd day it started becoming easier and things made a bit more sense.
3rd day I realised it wasn’t as hard as it seemed on day one and I started becoming quietly confident I would pass the exam without a problem.
4th day was study at home as I didn’t do tanks.
5th day was exam day and I passed.:smiley:

I would imagine your training center will give you a couple of books to look through. It should tell you everything you need to know to pass the exam. Try and do a couple of hours studying them at night if possible. Good luck. :wink:

damoq:

limeyphil:

damoq:

1st day I thought I was never going to get the hang of it. Seemed an awful lot to take In.
2nd day it started becoming easier and things made a bit more sense.
3rd day I realised it wasn’t as hard as it seemed on day one and I started becoming quietly confident I would pass the exam without a problem.
4th day was study at home as I didn’t do tanks.
5th day was exam day and I passed.:smiley:

I would imagine your training center will give you a couple of books to look through. It should tell you everything you need to know to pass the exam. Try and do a couple of hours studying them at night if possible. Good luck. :wink:

Hi damoq,

That’s good advice for sure, but it’s fair to point out that not all providers use that study pattern.

All of the providers I work for run the Core, Packs and seven Classes Mon - Wed, and then run the exams for them on the Thu morning. At that point, the packages lads are done, dusted and in the pub for Thu afternoon. Tanks would then start on the Thu after lunch, then continue until mid afternoon on the Fri, at which time they’d take the tanks exam.

That’s also the plan for my 16 eager candidates next week. :grimacing:

Hi dieseldave.

I think my week worked out that was cos my exams were done online. From what I understand, the online exams have to follow the SQA timetable and be carried out when they say so. Paper exams can be done when done when the training center decides. I might be wrong though! :smiley:

damoq:
Hi dieseldave.

I think my week worked out that was cos my exams were done online. From what I understand, the online exams have to follow the SQA timetable and be carried out when they say so. Paper exams can be done when done when the training center decides. I might be wrong though! :smiley:

Hi damoq,

It seems that you’ve been to one of the very few ADR providers who offer online ADR exams.

Going by your avatar, is my guess correct that you went to Ritchie’s :question:

AFAIK, there are only about 3 out of 150ish UK ADR providers who do this.

A provider has to follow an approved timetable and there are quite a few for them to choose from.
A provider has to notify SQA that a course will run and provide the dates of the course and the date(s) that the exams will run, but the ADR drivers’ exams aren’t done on days fixed by SQA.
For example, an ADR course can be ‘split’ and take place over (up to) three weekends.

There are qualifications for which the exams are only conducted on a set number of days per year, such as the (OCR) Operator CPC exams and the (SQA) DGSA exams, both of which only happen four times per year.

Bking:

Hi Bking,

A five day ADR course with 21 DCPC hours can be had for £550ish if a person does some research.
IMHO, anybody paying the upper end (£700) of what you’ve mentioned has more money than sense.

Bking:

They’ll have taught what’s required by the syllabus.
The syllabus is in ADR, so it’s a matter of law over which the training providers have no control.

After the VTC training required by ADR, the responsibility for further training of the driver passes to the tanker operator for whom the driver works. Again, this is a matter of law.

Bking:

OK, I’ll bite to this… in order to back-up what you’ve written, can you name any UK ADR provider who charges such a figure for a refresher :question:

Bking:

Of course they don’t, but the law on how they’re to be carried does change.
ADR is completely reprinted and republished every two years.
One of the reasons for this is to take account of scientific and technological developments.
In your game, the equivalent is probably the way that vehicle manufacturers sometimes issue revised and updated procedures and service guidance.

As an example of which I’m sure you’re familiar, … just compare the testing regimes for tanks made up to midnight on 09/05/2004 with the regime for tanks made on or after 10/05/2004.
That’s to do with advances in safety culture, but it is an example of the need to keep ourselves updated.

Bking:

If it’s me that you’re referring to, then my answer is that it’s nothing to do with me, because I am not an ADR provider.
ADR providers are no different to a commercial garage… they’ll charge the going rate in a competitive market.

:bulb: Paying peanuts and getting monkeys is no different if you’re a garage owner, a haulier, or an ADR provider. :smiley:

dieseldave:

damoq:
Hi dieseldave.

Hi damoq,

It seems that you’ve been to one of the very few ADR providers who offer online ADR exams.

Going by your avatar, is my guess correct that you went to Ritchie’s :question:

AFAIK, there are only about 3 out of 150ish UK ADR providers who do this.

A provider has to follow an approved timetable and there are quite a few for them to choose from.
A provider has to notify SQA that a course will run and provide the dates of the course and the date(s) that the exams will run, but the ADR drivers’ exams aren’t done on days fixed by SQA.
For example, an ADR course can be ‘split’ and take place over (up to) three weekends.

There are qualifications for which the exams are only conducted on a set number of days per year, such as the (OCR) Operator CPC exams and the (SQA) DGSA exams, both of which only happen four times per year.

I done it with (GTG) Glasgow Training Group, which is owned by the Arnold Clark Group. If I had been paying for it myself, I’d have went to Ritchies. I’ve nothing against GTG, cant fault them or their training facilities. It’s just that I done all my HGV training through Ritchies and would have went to them for my ADR through loyalty and their good reputation.