ADR question....

Just a quick question for the ADR gurus…

How much fuel/oil can be carried In a separate container (oil drum, etc) before it falls under ADR regulations?

One of the guys at work father picks up old oil from some of his collections and doesn’t have an ADR and is concerned he’s breaking the law.

Thanks for your help chaps! :smiley:

Im sure its 1000ltrs before it comes under regs.

not sure about waste oil but …

Diesel, UN 1202, ADR Class 3 can be carried without full provisions of ADR applying in the following circumstances:

when carried in ADR packagings [UN approved drums, IBC’s, containers], up to 1000L maximum total quantity per transport unit can be carried, as prescribed in Chapter 1.1.3.6 of ADR. These must be carried in line with packing instruction laid down in 4.1.4 of ADR.
when carried in Limited Quantities in accordance with provisions in ADR 3.4.3 to 3.4.6, up to 5L per packaging can be carried without full provisions of ADR applying. provided general provisions in 4.1.1, 4.1.1.2 and 4.1.1.4 to 4.1.1.8 are complied with.
Staff engaged in the transport of dangerous substances must, however, receive appropriate training commensurate with their specific job, and training records kept, as required under the Safety Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005. This training should include hazard awareness, appropriate handling precautions, personal protective equipment and emergency action measures.

It is advisable to consult with a competent Dangerous Goods Safety Adviser who can advise on the specific aspects of the transport of Diesel by road, as it relates to each specific business.

Dieseldave will answer this one when he gets here DAVE where are ya lol

pump:
It is advisable to consult with a competent Dangerous Goods Safety Adviser who can advise on the specific aspects of the transport of Diesel by road, as it relates to each specific business.

Hi pump,

That’ll be me then. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

We’ll need a more specific name than simply “fuel” before an accurate answer can be given. :smiley:

joemaxi:
Just a quick question for the ADR gurus…

How much fuel/oil can be carried In a separate container (oil drum, etc) before it falls under ADR regulations?

One of the guys at work father picks up old oil from some of his collections and doesn’t have an ADR and is concerned he’s breaking the law.

Thanks for your help chaps! :smiley:

Hi Joe,

Old oil doesn’t count as dangerous goods, so that can be carried in any quantity as far as ADR is concerned.

Can you be a bit more specific about “fuel” please?

Here he is evening my dieseldave he da man for adr

Here is another question. I was sent out with a full load of fork truck batteries, obviously with acid in them. Thats Class 8 ADR if I recall??

I’ve not got an ADR licence but the paperwork said that the load was exempt from the regs under some chapter or another so I took it.

I have recieved no training in clearing up spills of acid or anysuch. Who would have been liable if there had been an issue. Me for taking the load, or the boss for sending it out with someone qualified, but not proven to be competent?

Thanks for the replies folks!

Dave, I’m back at work tomorrow so I’ll try and get something more specific and let you know.

nsmith1180:
Here is another question. I was sent out with a full load of fork truck batteries, obviously with acid in them. Thats Class 8 ADR if I recall??

Hi mate,

Yes, the FLT batteries are indeed in UN Class 8.

nsmith1180:
I’ve not got an ADR licence but the paperwork said that the load was exempt from the regs under some chapter or another so I took it.

As long as a few pre-conditions are met by the sender/packer of the batteries, a driver who doesn’t have an ADR licence can carry any amount of those acid filled batteries because of Special Provision 598.

nsmith1180:
I have recieved no training in clearing up spills of acid or anysuch. Who would have been liable if there had been an issue. Me for taking the load, or the boss for sending it out with someone qualified, but not proven to be competent?

It would depend on what issue took place, but the legality of it is that you were OK to take that load.

dieseldave:

nsmith1180:

Hi mate,

nsmith1180:

As long as a few pre-conditions are met by the sender/packer of the batteries, a driver who doesn’t have an ADR licence can carry any amount of those acid filled batteries because of Special Provision 598.

nsmith1180:

It would depend on what issue took place, but the legality of it is that you were OK to take that load.

My hero!

nsmith1180:

dieseldave:

nsmith1180:

Hi mate,

nsmith1180:

nsmith1180:

My hero!

he is a bit special lol :smiley: