ADR Question

Hi folks…this may be one for Diesel Dave but I just want to check something.
I work for a generator hire company, they have some rigid trucks with generators bolted on them (designed as response vehicles to be left on site for periods of time), there’s also a 2000 litre metal IBC of diesel bolted onto the chassis.
As an ADR holder (class 3 amongst others), “other than tanks”, can I drive the truck without having class 3 in tanks?
I’m thinking maybe not because of the 1000 litre limit.

Many thanks

Shrek:
Hi folks…this may be one for Diesel Dave but I just want to check something.
I work for a generator hire company, they have some rigid trucks with generators bolted on them (designed as response vehicles to be left on site for periods of time), there’s also a 2000 litre metal IBC of diesel bolted onto the chassis.
As an ADR holder (class 3 amongst others), “other than tanks”, can I drive the truck without having class 3 in tanks?
I’m thinking maybe not because of the 1000 litre limit.

Many thanks

I will answer. The definition of an IBC (which inludes your description of the “tank” within ADR is up to 3000 litres. ADR also has an exemption for Dangerous Goods (in this case Diesel) that are used for the vehicles purpose. (It is why when calculating a trucks load of dangerous goods the diesel in the tanks of said truck are not part of the load calculations if your employer is using the load exemption).

For at least two reasons, (1, you are carrying from your description, 2000 litres of diesel which are carried as part of the vehicles function. 2) It isn’t a tank under an ADR definition)

I think you are confusing / conflating issues within ADR that do not exist.

From what you have described the vehicle fully complies with ADR and any driver (with the correct drivng license) could drive it with or without the Vocational Training certificate that comes with an ADR course and qualification.

DieselDave. Feel free to correct me.

Sorry, I rambled and ranted. From your description you will be okay at taking the vehicle out. if you are in doubt over the advice I have given then I suggest you ask your employer who your DGSA is.

Thanks for that mate :smiley:

From the info given so far, here’s the way I see this…

The generator set (whether bolted to the vehicle or not) is likely to be:

UN 3528 MACHINERY, INTERNAL COMBUSTION, FLAMMABLE LIQUID POWERED, 3
(No Packing Group is allocated to this UN number)

Without going into excessive technical stuff, the generator (including its internal fuel) is very likely to be not subject to ADR.

[For DGSA2… P005 and SP 363, which specifically mentions a generator and not being subject to other requirements of ADR. ]

=================================

Now for the 2,000L ‘thingy’ :grimacing:

This ‘thingy’ could be a package OR a tank at this size, so we need to know what it really is.

The way to know is to look at the approval plate.

If the approval plate mentions an “ADR Tank Code” and a “Tank Test Pressure,” then it is a tank.

If the approval plate has the letters “UN” in a circle and a longish alphanumeric code, then it’s an IBC. (= a package.)

Wearing my ‘Mystic Dave’ pointy hat, my guess is that it’s probably an IBC, and the first part of the alphanumeric code is 31A/ followed by a “Y” or a “Z” plus some other letters/numbers which, if present, will confirm its status as a package.

If my guess is right, then a 2,000L IBC full of Diesel will need an ADR Card valid for ‘Other Than Tanks’ + at least Class 3 in that column on the Card.

dieseldave:

Without going into excessive technical stuff, the generator (including its internal fuel) is very likely to be not subject to ADR.

[For DGSA2… P005 and SP 363, which specifically mentions a generator and not being subject to other requirements of ADR. ]

This ‘thingy’ could be a package OR a tank at this size, so we need to know what it really is.

If the approval plate mentions an “ADR Tank Code” and a “Tank Test Pressure,” then it is a tank.

If the approval plate has the letters “UN” in a circle and a longish alphanumeric code, then it’s an IBC. (= a package.)

Wearing my ‘Mystic Dave’ pointy hat, my guess is that it’s probably an IBC, and the first part of the alphanumeric code is 31A/ followed by a “Y” or a “Z” plus some other letters/numbers which, if present, will confirm its status as a package.

If my guess is right, then a 2,000L IBC full of Diesel will need an ADR Card valid for ‘Other Than Tanks’ + at least Class 3 in that column on the Card.

Many thanks to DD for the reply…brilliantly explained!

Shrek:

dieseldave:

Many thanks to DD for the reply…brilliantly explained!

Cheers and thanks Shrek,

The old saying is… I’m only doing my job. :smiley: