ADR placards

Evening all.

I have recently passed my ADR (excluding tanks) and I will mostly be carrying packages.
I know the orange placards must be displayed if carrying over 8 tons of Limited quantities. But am I correct in thinking that they can only be displayed if what you are carrying falls with in scope of ADR.

EG : over 20kg or 20 ltrs or Transport category 1?

Or do you display them when ever you are carrying any ADR regardless of how much?

Cheers

not quite sure what your question is. However you should be given some document that has the lq’s on it. if the number of lq is over 1000 plates up. Here is the rub though if you are doing multi drop of collections your lq can change and some sites wont let you on if your under adr. When i was doing adr we had a number to call if we needed the score recalculated.

MLT1985:
Evening all.

I have recently passed my ADR (excluding tanks) and I will mostly be carrying packages.
I know the orange placards must be displayed if carrying over 8 tons of Limited quantities.

Are you sure you passed?

I have been adr trained and for limited quantities over 8ton you need a lq plate front and back and if you have a shipping container lq stickers on all 4 sides never put you plates up for any amount of adr unless it requires it as all you are doing is bringing yourself a greater chance of being stopped and all the extra hassle that entails for no reason and I believe by putting your orange boards up instead of the LQ boards you are marking up your vehicle wrong

There is alot of information regarding uk adr regs online, you should have been given an adr book with all the relevant information in, dieseldave will put you right, but…

Plates to be displayed Transport Category 0= at all times 1= after 20kg/litres, 2 = after 333 kgs/litres 3 = after 1000kgs/litres, 4 = unlimited. …

Also a load made up of all categories has a multiplier…

Wildy:

MLT1985:
Evening all.

I know the orange placards must be displayed if carrying over 8 tons of Limited quantities.

Are you sure you passed?

:laughing: Indeed. He certainly isn’t from one of my courses.

Orange plates, not placards, though that is irrelevant, because…
Vehicles over 12T with LQ goods over 8T need to display the LQ placard, not orange plates :unamused:

I hope OP isn’t being tasked to calculate whether a mixed load of TC’s 1, 2 and 3 do, or do not, attract the full ADR regulations

MLT1985:
Evening all.

I know the orange placards must be displayed if carrying over 8 tons of Limited quantities. But am I correct in thinking that they can only be displayed if what you are carrying falls with in scope of ADR.

EG : over 20kg or 20 ltrs or Transport category 1?

Or do you display them when ever you are carrying any ADR regardless of how much?

Cheers

Hi MLT1985,

It seems that you’re confused by the difference between the ‘small load’ exemptions and the LQ exemptions, as well as what is meant by “orange placards.”

Small load exemptions
You seem to have understood the idea of ADR Transport Categories and the exemption limits for each of the Transport Categories ie; 0, 20, 333, 1,000 and unlimited. The part you might have missed is that this idea applies to normal everyday packages such as drums, boxes, IBCs, crates, jerricans, gas cylinders etc. In this case the limitation is on how much ‘stuff’ you can load without attracting the full weight of all applicable ADR provisions for those dangerous goods. In this case, orange coloured plates (not placards) must be displayed when your load exceeds the relevant ADR Transport Category.

LQ exemptions
The idea of LQs is completely different to the above.
The limitations regarding LQs apply to the size/weight of the packages.

The best way to think of LQs is that they are the kind of dangerous goods that you can buy in a retail shop AND packaged in that way, ie; for retail sale in a shop. The maximum size for LQ receptacles is 5Kg/L, but for some substances the limit is lower.
There are only two ways to package LQs… 1.) A box of no greater than 30kg containing one or more receptacles, or a stretch-wrapped tray of no more than 20kg containing receptcles.

If the LQ rules on package weights are respected (this depends on the customer’s order) , then there is NO limit on what can be carried in terms of the 0, 20, 333, 1000 or unlimited because that’s the rule for a different exemption.

Zac_A:
… He certainly isn’t from one of my courses.

Nor mine either. :wink: :grimacing:

To be fair though, there are lots of people (TMs, office staff and dare I say even some DGSAs) who make this very common error.

The OP should be assured that this isn’t his problem, so now he can sleep soundly. :smiley:

I assume that cigarette lighters and gas refills would come under lq then not to mention all the cleaning materials so should we be given paperwork of some description

cooper1203:
I assume that cigarette lighters and gas refills would come under lq then not to mention all the cleaning materials so should we be given paperwork of some description

Yes, those would be good examples of LQs.

If a movement of LQs takes place entirely within the UK, the is no requirement under UK dangerous goods rules for a consignor to issue paperwork.

In practice, there is usually some kind of paperwork because of the need for proof of delivery under the contract for transport.

This is not your problem, in fact… it’s not even a problem.