ADR Packages/Tanks or Both?

I already have Core+Packages and Class 1 & 2.
And have decided to get the rest, but do i go for the rest of packages, tanks or both.
I already know which training provider to go with & don’t mind the cost ££.
Any views??

skypilot:
I already have Core+Packages and Class 1 & 2.
And have decided to get the rest, but do i go for the rest of packages, tanks or both.
I already know which training provider to go with & don’t mind the cost ££.
Any views??

Hi skypilot,

You could do the rest of the UN Classes ( = 3,4,5,6,8 &9) at a reasonable price, because you already have the packages module with your UN Class 2.
(UN Class 1 doesn’t need a packages module, cos it’s a stand-alone module and can only attach to a Core module.)

My advice is that you should consider whether you actually need the tanker module, because that’s also a stand-alone module.
By that, I mean… is there any realistic prospect of you getting a start on tankers?
Only you can answer that, because you know your own area of the country and you could save some cash if there’s not much tanker work around.

:bulb: Just a thought… Are you aware that you won’t get a five-year ticket from what you’re planning?
Your validity is calculated from when you take your Core module, so I’d advise to check your expiry date on your present ticket in case there’s not long left.

If there’s not long left, my advice is that you consider a refresher, or a full renewal because it could be cheaper for you that way. (Core, Packs and seven UN Classes, = leaving out Classes 1 and 7.)

Then there are the periodic DCPC angles to consider, because you can get DCPC hours for an ADR course, but it’s not automatic, so I’d advise care in making your decisions.

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Thanks for reply dieseldave my ADR runs out July 2017.
As of January 2014 i will may not need Class 1.
So i could do a complete fresh course and get the lot core+packages+tanks.
But might just go for a top up and see what work i can get etc.
3 years would at least give me a chance to get a foot in the door.
And there might be some class 1 work in the future?

Will have to think about it over christmas!! :smiley:

skypilot:
Thanks for reply dieseldave my ADR runs out July 2017.
As of January 2014 i will may not need Class 1.
So i could do a complete fresh course and get the lot core+packages+tanks.
But might just go for a top up and see what work i can get etc.
3 years would at least give me a chance to get a foot in the door.
And there might be some class 1 work in the future?

Will have to think about it over christmas!! :smiley:

Hi skypilot,

Now I know your expiry is a long way off, my advice is that you just go ahead with your plan “A” and do a top-up.
When you speak to the provider/instructor, please say that you’re an “additional” then they’ll put an X in the right box on your course registration form. :wink:

That way, you’ll get to keep your UN Class 1 until 2017, and you still get the option of adding tanks at the same time, or some time later, or not at all.

Depending on when your present (paper?) ticket was issued in 2012, you may need to take a passport photo with you this time because SQA went over to a photocard ADR in October(ish) of 2012.
If you already have a photocard ADR licence, then there’s no need for the photo I just mentioned, cos it just means that SQA already has a piccy of you. :smiley:

A question to ask dieseldave?
I was after an ADR Multi Hazard Label Poster showing all classes etc.
Found one online and it’s only £2.75 but £7 P&P and that is the only way it can be sent!!
Any good sites to look and buy from with less costs?
Or is that reasonable price to pay for a good ADR Classes poster?