ADR or not??

Looking for some advice please?

Been driving now for 12 months and thinking about doing the ADR course that will also tick off some days from my next CPC period!

Will it open more doors for me and ultimately get me more money or will it… as some have said be a waste of money?

Cheers.

I wanted to work for a particular company (on agency), that carries ADR often. I worked once for them carry a non-ADR load, but the following month I did my ADR packages. I now work exclusively for them, and for instance this week I have a solid weeks work where every day I am carrying ADR and rolling with orange plates. I paid for it myself and it was worth every euro.

I asked a company that I’ve been considering going to work for (they can guarantee me work and any shift pattern I like) whether it was worth me doing my ADR as I needed to do my full 35hrs Periodic DCPC to be able to go back to work anyway, and they said “In all honesty? No!” I wouldn’t be taken on any different a pay rate and if they wanted me to have my ADR further down the line then they’d pay for it.

Now I’m not saying its not worth you doing it, I’m just offering another perspective, because unless (like the previous poster) you have ADR work to walk into it may be hard to justify the outlay if your not using it (and not seeing a difference in money)

Great responses and appreciate the take on it. Will be interested to read other perspectives on it.

rookie07:
Looking for some advice please?

Been driving now for 12 months and thinking about doing the ADR course that will also tick off some days from my next CPC period!

Will it open more doors for me and ultimately get me more money or will it… as some have said be a waste of money?

Cheers.

Hi rookie07,

Being totally honest, there’s a VERY wide spectrum of possibilities…

IF you’re an agency driver, having an ADR card can get you work that you wouldn’t otherwise be able to do, so having an ADR card might give you more choices.

It’s sadly very true that some companies don’t pay any extra for an ADR qualified driver, even when nobody else could do the job.

Having said the above, I think your decision is going to depend on your options vs. your expectations as to whether you consider the price of an ADR course to be a waste of money.

dieseldave:
Having said the above, I think your decision is going to depend on your options vs. your expectations as to whether you consider the price of an ADR course to be a waste of money.

And also on what companies doing ADR are in your area too, if there aren’t any/many then this should also enter into your decision, or at the very least should help you decide what modules you should do besides the Core?

Reef:

dieseldave:

And also on what companies doing ADR are in your area too, if there aren’t any/many then this should also enter into your decision, or at the very least should help you decide what modules you should do besides the Core?

That’s very true Reef, but I’d covered that under ‘options.’

Unfortunately, Core module is only a small part of the overall qualification, but it’s compulsory.

The next choice to make is how you’ll carry said dangerous goods, so now you make a choice between “in packages” and/or “in tanks.” You must choose at least ONE of them.

The next decision is then about which of the 9 classes of dangerous goods you’d like to be licenced to carry, and again at least one must be chosen.

For instance, a person who knows they will only ever work for a gas supplier and so will only ever carry gas cylinders would only need an ADR course consisting of Core/Packages/and UN Class 2.

Somebody needing to only drive a petrol tanker would need Core/Tanks/ and UN Class 3.

There are lots of permutations, but the commonest is Core/Packages and UN Classes 2,3,4,5,6,8&9 which covers most eventualities on general freight.

dieseldave:

Yep, you “covered” it, I “highlighted” it :grimacing:

Thats also why i put Core and then ? because trying to pre guess what “parts” he’d actually need in the future is going to be either hit or miss or very expensive!

rookie07:

Cheers.

I think it’s a waste of money, it’s good for satisfying CPC but that’s about it, nowadays you can earn more on non ADR work so what’s the point…

Pimpdaddy:

rookie07:
Will it open more doors for me …

I think it’s a waste of money, it’s good for satisfying CPC but that’s about it, nowadays you can earn more on non ADR work so what’s the point…

The point in my case was I now work a lot for the company I wanted to work for, my investment in myself paid off.

Heraultais you have a PM

Héraultais:
The point in my case was I now work a lot for the company I wanted to work for, my investment in myself paid off.

Lucky you, some things I’ve invested in myself have never really paid off, they’ve cost me more than anything…

pierrot 14:
Heraultais you have a PM

Reply sent Pierrot

Reef:

dieseldave:

Yep, you “covered” it, I “highlighted” it :grimacing:

Thats also why i put Core and then ? because trying to pre guess what “parts” he’d actually need in the future is going to be either hit or miss or very expensive!

If a person is thinking of doing an ADR course, and they don’t have a specific plan or job offer, then Core/Packages and UN Classes 2,3,4,5,6,8&9 will cover most eventualities on general freight.

There are usually 3days DCPC available as an option if needed.

From my experience of teaching ADR for a number of providers around the country, I can honestly say that this is by far the commonest choice made by drivers (or their bosses.)

I did five core packages & seven classes in the first instance, and went back & did tanks, I had an excellent teacher diesel dave with outstanding knowledge of ADR, & a great way of instructing in the class room in a way that you could understand . I gained passess in all , & now reguarly drive ADR loads to which I get paid extra for, & I also gained valuable hours to count as my dcpc .I have No regrets from gaining the qualifications, i have the added bonus of being able to do a variety of ADR work.

Regrets I personally wish I had also done un class 1 & un class 7 as well , it would be great to hold a ‘full pack’ ,& as it happens the first ADR job I saw advertised was for both of those I hadn’t done.

At the very least it shows companies you are willing to learn and train at things you have never done.
I am contemplating doing my ADR next year so let us know how you get on

Thanks for the replies all. You have given me plenty to think about.

rookie07:
Thanks for the replies all. You have given me plenty to think about.

Here is something else to think about, can you afford to write off the few hundred quid it will cost to do the course? If the answer is yes then go for it.

Get it in my opinion. There is loads of work out there for adr. Paying above average in wage.