ADR license

Hi all,

I’m looking into going into tanker work delivering fuel. It’s always been something I’ve wanted to do and I was chatting to a chap who said a company in Avon mouth were always on the lookout for drivers. So I’m going to find my own adr but I was just wondering which adr license I need to obtain? It’s obviously going to be the tanker section but I’ve looked it up on the internet and it doesn’t make it very clear which other bits I would need to take.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to let you know that we offer a residential ADR course for £450 fully inclusive of accommodation, VAT, exam fees. The whole thing apart from radioactive and explosives.

I, personally, am not an expert on the subject. But I believe you will need an additional qualification to work in and out of petrol depots.

The authority on this is Diesel Dave, though it’s perfectly possible that other forum users will know the answer.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You’ll need Core, Class 3 and Tanks for fuel tanker work. The other qualification that Peter mentioned is the PDP (Petroleum Drivers Passport). The PDP is a theory and practical assessment to do with the loading procedures at fuel terminals. There is no point trying to obtain the PDP on your own back as almost all firms will do this for you once you’ve been taken on as part of your initial training as it’s virtually impossible to do the practical assessment without being in the industry.

As an aside, if any company is “always looking for drivers” ask yourself why?
Unlikely to be the best job in the area.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Lee1976:
You’ll need Core, Class 3 and Tanks for fuel tanker work. The other qualification that Peter mentioned is the PDP (Petroleum Drivers Passport). The PDP is a theory and practical assessment to do with the loading procedures at fuel terminals. There is no point trying to obtain the PDP on your own back as almost all firms will do this for you once you’ve been taken on as part of your initial training as it’s virtually impossible to do the practical assessment without being in the industry.

Thanks Lee, this**^^^^** is spot-on and has saved me from some typing. :smiley:

To be fair though, I’d advise Joeys86 to consider the following:

Do you only want to do your chosen option?
(You’ll be going into a classroom, so maybe consider some other UN Classes??)

Have you considered your situation with periodic DCPC?
(You’ll be going into a classroom, so maybe consider sitting in on the other parts of the ADR course, without taking those exams. That could tick some periodic DCPC boxes at the same time??)

Don’t listen to anybody who tells you stuff like ‘it’s a five-day course’ etc, because you can do exactly the parts that you want to do. However, this will result in a fair bit of coming and going on your part, depending on how the provider has timetabled their ADR course.

Thanks for all your help guys. Much appreciated