ADR Licence

I am looking to do an ADR course to work for Total driving the fuel and wanted to know who is the best company to do the course with. There is so many brokers out there who say they arent brokers it becomes difficult! And to get an advert on the first page of google normally means broker right? I would like to do all ADR Classes not just petrol/diesel. Im in hertfordshire and since Bunsfield Depot in Hemel Hempstead blew sky high the training schools in the area stopped proving the training as the fees to keep up to date were false economy. Whos in the area with the ADR? Shout me up peeps, Thanks. :sunglasses:

Hi MrMiddleton,

I have a master list of ADR providers, but I’ve got to ask you how far you’d be prepared to travel each day please?

When you decide that, please bear the following in mind:

The course you wish to take would involve 5-days of classroom tuition, so you’d need to consider the travel costs.
Do you wish to do the ‘packages’ module? (Either 1.5 or 2.25 hrs on the Tuesday afternoon, depending on the timetable.)
I know you’ve mentioned what you wish to do, but are you looking for some DCPC hours that could be obtained at the same time?
When you speak to any ADR provider, you need to ask whether VAT, exam fees or DCPC upload fees are included in the price quoted.

If “best” is the new word for “cheapest,” I’d say that you tend to get what you pay for, because good facilities aren’t cheap. :wink:

Im looking to take a couple of weeks off work annual leave and smash it all out then so I can do full days at 7hrs or however they do it. Im happy to go anywhere up to about 40-44mins drive in the mornings (from Welwyn Garden City, AL7). I would like to get some CPC hours out of it as well because it kills two birds with one stone. I was told by someone im looking at around £2,000 for 1.0-2.0 classes? Not sure what this means but I assume that covers all hazz? Thanks

MrMiddleton:
Im looking to take a couple of weeks off work annual leave and smash it all out then so I can do full days at 7hrs or however they do it. Im happy to go anywhere up to about 40-44mins drive in the mornings (from Welwyn Garden City, AL7). I would like to get some CPC hours out of it as well because it kills two birds with one stone. I was told by someone im looking at around £2,000 for 1.0-2.0 classes? Not sure what this means but I assume that covers all hazz? Thanks

Hi mate,
:open_mouth: I’ve taught ADR for 7 years, but I’ve no idea what 1.0-2.0 classes means.
There are nine Classes of dangerous goods, and they’re numbered 1 - 9. (Any decimals are subdivisions, but there are still only 9 Classes.)

Yes, you’re spot-on about the DCPC mate, but most ADR training providers have 21 DCPC hours available for a ‘basic’ ADR course. However, to gain all 21 DCPC hours, you’d have to do the packages module because it’s integral as far as DCPC is concerned. Some (only very few) ADR providers have a tanker module registered as 7 hours, so that would get you to 28 DCPC hours. To get all 35 required DCPC hours in one fell swoop is possible, but you’d probably be including some other non-ADR stuff like extra First-Aid or some time spent learning drivers’ hours to complete the full 35-hour DCPC requirement. The time spent doing the ADR exams can’t be counted towards DCPC hours.

Now that you know this, you’ll be better prepared with some interesting questions for the providers.

I’ll put together a list of likely ADR providers within your preferred travel range, but you can get an idea of the 9 danger Classes by reading my post to hutchie timed at Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:40 am, about halfway down this page:
LINK :arrow_right: Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR - SAFETY, LAW AND WORKING TIME DIRECTIVE FORUM (INTE - Trucknet UK

I’ll be back soon with a list for you. :smiley:

Hi MrMiddleton,

I’ve consulted the list, and it seems that you’re not very well blessed with much in the way of ADR providers in your area. :frowning:

Here are some that might be able to help, but please check that you compare like-for-like cos not all of them are always clear about whether VAT is or isn’t included in the price they quote.

These are all approved ADR providers and in no particular order, but I wouldn’t know whether they offer DCPC

Novadata TAB Ltd
3 Blackwell Drive
Springfield Industrial Estate
Braintree
CM7 2QJ
Tel: 01376 348963
Email: derek@novadata.co.uk

College (UK) & Co Ltd
178 Crow Lane
Romford
RM7 0ES
Tel: 01708 755557
Email: trina@collegeandco.com
Mr Colin Cornell

J Coates (HGV Services) Ltd
46-50 Great Central Street
Leicester
LE1 4NF
Tel: 0116 262 6037
Email: andrewcope@jcoates.co.uk

Data Academy Ltd
187 Scudamore Road
Leicester
LE3 1UQ
Tel: 0116 287 7692
email: rick@dataacademy.co.uk
Contact Mr Rick Field-Naldrett

There may be a few more, but these suggestions will at least give you some idea of what’s what.

BTW, as a very rough guide, you shouldn’t be much above £600 for everything you’ve asked about.

having just completed my adr, i’m wondering if the classes 1.0 - 2.0 referred to are actually class 1 and 7 which are seperate courses I believe.
Not 100% sure though as I didnt do these 2.

MrMiddleton:
I am looking to do an ADR course to work for Total driving the fuel and wanted to know who is the best company to do the course with.

Is this a speculative idea, to get an ADR and then approach a fuel tanker company? If you only want to do fuel from Buncefield, what is the point doing all the other classes. In my experience the fuel companies have done their own in house training and probably since Buncefield that training has become more site specific.

You don’t mention how long you have held C+E or how old you are.

wood73:
having just completed my adr, i’m wondering if the classes 1.0 - 2.0 referred to are actually class 1 and 7 which are seperate courses I believe.
Not 100% sure though as I didnt do these 2.

Hi wood73,

I’m waiting for MrMiddleton to post again so that I can clarify this 1.0 - 2.0 business with him, cos I’ve no idea what he means. :frowning:

Your belief is correct mate, because Classes 1 and 7 are a one-day course each as an extra to an existing ADR licence, OR if a person just wants either of those two alone, they’d have to do a core module + Class 1 and/or Class 7.