ADR Initial course

hi all i was thinking of doing an adr initial course next month as ive got prices and dates etc from a local training company.I was wondering does the course count towards driver cpc even if i god help me fail the exams? As ive already got 14 hours in the bag this would give me my driver cpc till 2019 i believe.Are the exams difficult?
I was also hoping to take the whole course including tankers as i feel this will benefit me greatly.

any advice would be great thanks. :smiley:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome dazask :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

dazask:
hi all i was thinking of doing an adr initial course next monthā€¦Are the exams difficult?

For all ADR stuff -
YOU MIGHT NEEDā€¦

Iā€™M SURE HE WILL BE ALONG SOON :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Or you can click the picture of the ADR Truck to send him a PM (Private Message) :bulb:

Basic info on the ADR - scroll about half way down the page.

dazask:
I was wondering does the course count towards driver cpc even if i god help me fail the exams? As ive already got 14 hours in the bag this would give me my driver cpc till 2019 i believe

You believe correctly :smiley:
Ask if the ADR course is Dcpc approved and, if yes, ask for it to be counted as Dcpc training
This will cost a bit more than a standard ADR course and the first three days are extended to 7 hours from 6 hours for those doing the Dcpc.
I think you will find that in most cases the extra cost for the Dcpc bit is well worthwhile especially when you compare it to three seperate 7 hours Dcpc courses elsewhere

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Thank You Rog for a warm welcome.On the quote i got it says 5 days adr training with tankers ( including 21 hours towards periodic driver cpc plus exam fees and vat Ā£ 458.75 so its all included in. :smiley:

dazask:
Thank You Rog for a warm welcome.On the quote i got it says 5 days adr training with tankers ( including 21 hours towards periodic driver cpc plus exam fees and vat Ā£ 458.75 so its all included in. :smiley:

sorry mate - is that Ā£ 458.75 + VAT + Exam fees :question:
Does it include the upload fees for the Dcpc :question:

Good question Rog,ive gotta check that out cos on the quote its only got 5 days training(which counts for 21 hours of dcpc) + exam fees + vat but no mention of the other fees.

Yeah that amount was the training+ exam fees + the vat = Ā£458 Rog.

dazask:
Good question Rog,ive gotta check that out cos on the quote its only got 5 days training(which counts for 21 hours of dcpc) + exam fees + vat but no mention of the other fees.

I know very little about ADR exams etc but I do know that there is more than one way that the exams can be done - dieseldave can expand on thisā€¦

There is no VAT on the exams

dazask:
hi all i was thinking of doing an adr initial course next month as ive got prices and dates etc from a local training company.I was wondering does the course count towards driver cpc even if i god help me fail the exams? As ive already got 14 hours in the bag this would give me my driver cpc till 2019 i believe.Are the exams difficult?
I was also hoping to take the whole course including tankers as i feel this will benefit me greatly.

Are they difficult? Depends on now dont be offended!

A if a brain cell is between the ears
B If common sence logic is used

There all multi guess answers and if you have a half decent instructer then no its not as hard as some will tell you.

dazask:
Yeah that amount was the training+ exam fees + the vat = Ā£458 Rog.

I make that Ā£538.15 inc VAT + 10 exam fees which could be Ā£200 on top = Ā£738.15 in total
or
I make that Ā£538.15 inc VAT + 6 exam fees which could be Ā£120 on top = Ā£658.15 in total

Ask the provider if there are 6 or 10 exams - either can be right for the course you state.

Each course of core, packs and 7 classess + tanks can have either 6 or 10 exams to get the same qualification.
Each exam paper has a marking fee by SQA of Ā£20

yeah thats about right Rog cos theres ten exams altogether on this quote that they have sent me.

dazask:
yeah thats about right Rog cos theres ten exams altogether on this quote that they have sent me.

Deffo cheaper elswhere - what part of UK are you :question:

Ah cheers Imp for your reply mate.Hopefully i get a good instructor then. :smiley:

Im in the North east Rog.Newcastle Upon Tyne to be exact. :smiley:

dazask:

dieseldave may have a list of ADR providers for you in that area - he knows about this thread so be patient, he will be along as soon as he can :smiley: :smiley:

Ok Rog cheers mate. :slight_smile:

dazask:
I was wondering does the course count towards driver cpc even if i god help me fail the exams?

Hi dazask, Yes mate, it canā€¦ but only if you choose that option.
If you choose and pay for that option, you can get 21 hours towards your 35 hour requirement even if you fail all the ADR exams. :open_mouth:
(But youā€™re not going to fail, are you?? :wink: )
Driver CPC is NOT examined, so if youā€™re there (and still awake) during the Core, Packs and seven classes modules, youā€™ll be credited with your CPC hours, because they are for attendance only. :smiley:

dazask:
As ive already got 14 hours in the bag this would give me my driver cpc till 2019 i believe.

Correct. :smiley:

dazask:
Are the exams difficult?

All the ADR exams are multiple choice, so the correct answer WILL be written in front of you on exam day. All you have to do is select the right answer, then draw a line in a box marked A, B, C or D on the answer sheet. They arenā€™t allowed to ask ā€˜technicalā€™ questions, so itā€™s not rocket science, honestly mate. :wink:
:bulb: TIP: please donā€™t be thinking ā€œwhat will I put??ā€ because the answer to that is that you wonā€™t ā€˜putā€™ anything.
There is no writing involved in the ADR exams, apart from copying your name and driver number from your driving licence, which you must have with you on all days of the course and ESPECIALLY for the exams.

dazask:

I would advise that you almost certainly WONā€™T get any CPC hours for the tanker module, and further that unless you stand a realistic chance of diving a tanker, then this is potentially an area in which you could cut some of the costs that youā€™ll pay. :wink:
If you come up with a requirement for tankers, then you can add that module at any time during the validity of your ADR certificate.

dazask:

I hope this helps, but please feel free to ask any other questions.
:bulb: May I also suggest that you browse the ADR ā€˜stickyā€™ which youā€™ll find at the top of the Safety, Law and WTD forum, or you could CLICK THIS LINK
Thereā€™s six pages of piccies and writing, so Iā€™d make a butty and a brew before settling down to read it. :laughing: :wink:

Have fun :grimacing:

Iā€™ll be here to help if you get stuck. :smiley: :wink:

dazask:

ROG is correct mate, so if we extend that a littleā€¦ you could save a whole Ā£80 if you choose a provider that offers the ā€œCommon Characteristicsā€ exam route.

If you take my tip above and forget the tanker module, then youā€™re looking at either Ā£100 or Ā£180 as exam fees.

Exam fees must be quoted separately, because there is no VAT on exam fees. :wink:

dazask:

If ROGā€™s calculations are correct, then the price youā€™ve been offered could be bettered mate. :wink:

Would you like some alternative providersā€™ contact details so that you can shop-around??
If so, please say how far youā€™d be prepared to travel. :smiley:

Hi Dieseldave cheers for all the info mate.yeah im from newcastle upon tyne so anymore adr providers would be great as i could shop around and try and get the price down abit. :smiley:
so even a dunce like me could pass these exams then!lol. :grimacing: Maybe leave out the tanker module to a later date too.
Ah thats good then cos like i said ive got 14 hours already towards my dcpc. :laughing:

dazask:
.yeah im from newcastle upon tyne so anymore adr providers would be great as i could shop around and try and get the price down abit.

I think dieseldave needs the answer to thisā€¦

dieseldave:
please say how far youā€™d be prepared to travel