ADR info please

Here’s a tip for your course, the minimum ppe for every class is gloves and goggles

Well, six weeks into the job and all going great. Did an ADR awareness course ( Well a couple of hours in the canteen with our in house assessor)
Got my adr booked for w/c 22nd August. Mon, Tues, Thurs and half day Friday. Doing Core, Tanks, Packs and Class 2.
Assuming I pass I presume I cannot drive until I have the adr card in my hand. If this is correct how long does it take for the card to arrive. Is it days or weeks? Thanks.

silverman:
Well, six weeks into the job and all going great. Did an ADR awareness course ( Well a couple of hours in the canteen with our in house assessor)
Got my adr booked for w/c 22nd August. Mon, Tues, Thurs and half day Friday. Doing Core, Tanks, Packs and Class 2.
Assuming I pass I presume I cannot drive until I have the adr card in my hand. If this is correct how long does it take for the card to arrive. Is it days or weeks? Thanks.

Yes you can’t drive until the card comes. When the course was a city and guilds, I got my licence within a couple of weeks. I did my last one afte the switchover to SQA (Scottish qualification association) and it took 10 weeks (and a few phone calls) before the card arrived

10 weeks!!! Was there a problem or is that the norm?

silverman:

I kept being told it was in process. I did get them to tell me that I’d passed though, as I needed to know if I was booking a retest. And the most annoying thing, is the licence starts on the day of your exam. So that’s nearly 3 months lost on the 5 years

I’ll have forgotten how to drive by then. Thanks for the replies mate.

silverman:

Hi silverman,

The norm depends on which exam system the ADR provider uses.

The paper-based exams are supposed to take up to 5 weeks until the ADR card arrives, but it can be a bit less sometimes.

The online exams can end up with the driver receiving an ADR card by the end of the week following the course.
Another advantage of the online system is that you get your results once the last guy has finished the last exam, so a same-day resit is certainly possible if there’s time.

I did the paper based one and got the card in 15 days…

Thanks for the replies guys.

Evil8Beezle:
I did the paper based one and got the card in 15 days…

Speaking from experience, I’d say that’s a bit quicker than average.

So, anytime between 15 days and 10 weeks. Thanks.

silverman:
So, anytime between 15 days and 10 weeks. Thanks.

Hi silverman,

10 weeks is rather unusual.

As I’ve said already, the standard for paper based exams is up to 5 weeks.

I don’t know the full circumstances of the one that took 10 weeks, so I couldn’t comment on that particular one.

Speaking very generally, delays can arise for several reasons:

• Unacceptable photograph or failure to provide photograph of passport standard
  • Doubt about a candidate’s identity (proper ID not provided)
  • Doubt about a candidate’s address (Especially if DVLA not notified by candidate)
  • Paperwork error by the candidate (not spotted by instructor or provider)
  • Paperwork or notification error by provider
  • IT or other ‘system’ error at SQA
  • Doubt about existing ADR expiry date or modules held (Refresher candidates only)
  • Possible irregularity on exam papers (paper based system only)
  • Non payment of SQA fees by provider (but that would affect all candidates on a course)
  • The need for any necessary investigation
  • Possible other good reason that I can’t think of right now. :blush:

Just an update. Took my last exam at noon on Friday and the postman delivered my card on Tuesday morning.