ADR - How hard is it really

Hi all,
I am interested in maybe doing my ADR liscence as I have been told i would need it to carry fuel tanks that go with generators.

Would the basic 3.5 day course cover me for that ?
and how hard is it really, i did allright at school but not brilliant.

Thanks
Owen

Memorise the different placards and the rest is common sense. The failure rate is laughably low.

Listen to your instructor they should make all clear

It really is quite easy as all questions are multi choice

Thanks
Is there a test at the end of the course, or is each module tested seperatley ?

Ta Owen

Hippo:
Thanks
Is there a test at the end of the course, or is each module tested seperatley ?

Ta Owen

Each module but exams are at the end of the course

Try to PM Dieseldave as he will be able to answer any questions

I think thats covered all my concerns.
Cheers
Gents

Owen

animal:
Listen to your instructor they should make all clear

It really is quite easy as all questions are multi choice

+1
All they have to do is listen, and not drift off daydreaming.
There will always be those who don`t focus on the task in hand, be more interested in that much needed ■■■ and a coffee during the breaks, than in the remembering what they just learned.
Though if someone is paying for the course out of their own pockets, it tends to sharpen their interest :wink:

Depending on the size of the fuel tank and if it’s fitted to the generator unit could mean it isn’t under ADR rules. There is an exemption for fuel in machinery (Example: you dont need an ADR licence to drive a car transporter, but the cargo contains a flamable liquid in it’s fuel tanks).

The big gensets have tanks that are about 4000l capacity with them, they would deffo need ADR. The smaller ones that we have for plant are just under the threshold (it’s 1000l or thereabouts)

Hippo:
Hi all,
I am interested in maybe doing my ADR liscence as I have been told i would need it to carry fuel tanks that go with generators.

Would the basic 3.5 day course cover me for that ?
and how hard is it really, i did allright at school but not brilliant.

Thanks
Owen

All you need to do is listen and remember what the instructor is showing you, it isn’t chemical engineering but a dunce could fail most classes.

Dave is one of the men to speak to, he will advise you if you need an ADR, in fact he has done several times so if you do a search for Fuel Tanks Generators and IBC you will find an answer :stuck_out_tongue:

What size are the fuel tanks?

Hi ROG
The fuel tanks are various sizes, at the moment I don’t do them as I am not ADR although I have done a few 1000ltr ones, that were new, but some are massive

Owen

Hippo:
Hi ROG
The fuel tanks are various sizes, at the moment I don’t do them as I am not ADR although I have done a few 1000ltr ones, that were new, but some are massive

Owen

Hi Hippo,

You can carry 1,000 liters of diesel fuel in one of the “tanks” you describe, but they’re not “tanks” really.
They are steel IBCs if they’re up to 3,000 liters capacity.

The limit (without an ADR certificate) is 1,000 liters, but that can be in an IBC that’s up to and including 3,000 liters size. If it’s bunded, you can ignore the fact that the bund is there.
The limit is set on the actual amount carried on board the vehicle at one time, NOT on the size of the IBC.
Therefore, you’re still OK without an ADR licence if you carry no more than 1,000 liters even if it’s in a 3,000 liter IBC.

As well as the 1,000 liters, you could also carry any number of empty IBCs.

To carry in excess of 1,000 liters of diesel in packages (an IBC counts as a package) you would need a minimum ADR licence obtained by passing the Core module, the Packages module and the UN Class 3 module. You do not have to attend a ‘whole’ ADR course for this.

Thanks Dave.
So basically I don’t need it then I reckon.

However I may do it anyway, be nice to have.

Thanks
Owen

I think you do need it as you’ll likely move units that have more than 1000l of fuel in them. If someone else is paying then you definately need it.

At the mo I have only been delivering them empty not collecting them, but I do fancy doing my ADR, have to see if i can get them to pay for it for me…
then I could do some collections as well
Owen

8wheels:
I think you do need it as you’ll likely move units that have more than 1000l of fuel in them. If someone else is paying then you definately need it.

Hi 8wheels,

That thought also crossed my mind. :wink:

To the titles question, if I can pass it anyone can :blush:

DAF95XF:
To the titles question, if I can pass it anyone can :blush:

Nope dont you mean if I can pass anyone can :wink:

I am doing mine next week so I will tell how it is next Friday once I have unscrambled my head, I have the attention span of a puppy in a park :blush: but funding it myself may just switch me on :wink: