adr hazchem

i do hazadous work and what a wally i am… i dont get paid any extra yesterday i loaded chemicals in a container that if you touched it smelt it looked at it went anywhere near it it kills you stone dead no second chance today i loaded chemicals that if you by chance of bad luck happen to breathe in it slowley knackers your lungs… i.e a slow agongising death!!! so if offered adr always ask how much do i get or just say NO.

jessicas dad I know a few people that do work with
hazardous materials and they earn very good money
but they are not drivers. I was just wondering how much
at risk you are and and what the money is like compared
to other drivers in your area that don’t have your risk.

well convoy i got offered it and thought yeah ok il give it ago but i work on containers and hanburys get paid extra roadways get extra and securicor get extra the shipping companys pay extra for the drivers carrying haz but freightliner who i work for wont pay anything!!! and now i actually know what goes in the box and what it can do to you in a crash i wish i didnt have it i wont be renewing it when the time comes the message im trying to get across is make sure you know what your getting into and MAKE SURE YOU GET PAID WELL FOR IT not like me. :laughing: :laughing:

Good advice jessicas dad and that stuff you carry
very nasty especially the one you breathe in it slowly
knackers your lungs… I.e a slow agonising death :open_mouth: .

I have a question for those of members of TRUCK NET UK who

work in the carriage of ADR-HAZERDOUS GOODS . Do you get a

yearly check up which when carried out deals with the various

chemicals that you in your work come into contact. Here in our firm

they have to do a complete check-up every year and the BOSS

pays for all of these for every driver that is 5years or more in the

company.

I did over 20 years on chemicals and powders. I decided that no-one could pay me enough to carry them.

Mostly the products I carried were Phenols, Cresols and Toluenes and having to load these into a tank using a tape measure wasnt worth the risk.

I think the damage has probably already been done though :cry:

Wheelnut , I carry also these types of chemicals and over here

the employer has certain laws and health aspects that must be

followed. Yes over the years the safety aspects are much stricter as

they were for 10-20 years as we improve these aspects it brings

better working conditions with it,

brit pete:
Wheelnut , I carry also these types of chemicals and over here

the employer has certain laws and health aspects that must be

followed. Yes over the years the safety aspects are much stricter as

they were for 10-20 years as we improve these aspects it brings

better working conditions with it,

I agree Holland and Germany are better than most places, and the rules are enforced more rigourously, You still take the risk of breathing in carcinogens every time you open the vent, or clean out the tank

N o I do not wheelnut as if I must work with dangerous chemicals

then I have to dress and work as per the instructions on the TREM-

CARD, You will not get loaded in GERMANY if you are not carrying

the correct equipment ,also all the correct paper work for you .lorry.

tank, and show that you do understand the dangers of the job that

you are doing. also you will not be allowed to over load your vehicle

by even the small amount of 20kilos they send you back to take it

off the load.

jessicas dad:
well convoy i got offered it and thought yeah ok il give it ago but i work on containers and hanburys get paid extra roadways get extra and securicor get extra the shipping companys pay extra for the drivers carrying haz but freightliner who i work for wont pay anything!!! and now i actually know what goes in the box and what it can do to you in a crash i wish i didnt have it i wont be renewing it when the time comes the message im trying to get across is make sure you know what your getting into and MAKE SURE YOU GET PAID WELL FOR IT not like me. :laughing: :laughing:

I work for hanburys,I think the couple of lads who do have ADR only get about a FIVER extra for having it,and they get some right ■■■■ jobs as well.
I was going to get an ADR before I started driving ,but glad I did nt now.

brit pete:
N o I do not wheelnut as if I must work with dangerous chemicals

then I have to dress and work as per the instructions on the TREM-

CARD, You will not get loaded in GERMANY if you are not carrying

the correct equipment ,also all the correct paper work for you .lorry.

tank, and show that you do understand the dangers of the job that

you are doing. also you will not be allowed to over load your vehicle

by even the small amount of 20kilos they send you back to take it

off the load.

That is why I said, in Holland and Germany they take the rules more seriously. A tremcard gives the minimum legal requirement for road transport. If you are carrying chemicals, the likelyhood of breathing in fumes is very high. that is why I let my ADR expire. When you are having to take samples out of a tanker barrel with a jamjar and a piece of string :open_mouth:

I carried Cyanide for 2 years, and at Baglan Bay this happened on a regular basis. Before we got the contract, we had to be taught how to inject ourself with a syringe containing an antidote to cyanide poisoning.

The tankers and trucks we used were IMO 1, pressure tested to 4 bar and fitted with all the safety equipment for every country in Europe and beyond.

I was planning on getting my ADR but after reading some of the posts on trucknet I may not bother. I’ve worked in Chemical plants before so I’ve an idea of what some of the stuff can be like.

i have no option but to have my adr as the company carry’s adr,it is renewed every 5 years which we have our own instructor.but if i had a choice i would not have adr at all.i remember once when i 1st got my adr and i was driving rigids back then i gets a call from the office to collect a parcel from a company in broxburn.so in i goes and see’s the guy.he hands me the box and all the paperwork to do with adr.as i’m checking the paperwork i noticed that this parcel contain’s radio active material.( alarm bells start to ring at this moment).i said sorry sir i can’t uplift this parcel from you,he then say’s i have this plate that give’s you all the emergency details if something happens to the box.no sir you don’t realise you need to get someone who has radioactive on their adr certificate to carry radio active material,which i don’t have and also the company don’t deal with this type of dangerous goods.i then went back to the truck and contacted the office to make them aware of the situation as he was getting annoyed.the company said to pull out ( as if i was not going to ) :laughing: :laughing: he came over to the truck annoyed that i was not going to take his parcel and demanded that i take it.i tried to explane to him that we don’t transport this type of material in a polite way but he was having none of it , and still demanded that i took his parcel.so in the end it was select 3rd gear and off i went leaving him standing with parcel in hand.so 1 tip that i could give the newbie’s always check the paperwork b4 accepting any parcel/pallet of adr,if alarm bells start ringing in your ears then it means something ain’t right.always go with you own instinct’s :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: