ADR cource with online test and results

Zac_A:
Where I deliver the ADR, candidates are charged a “day fee” (£50+
Speaking purely for my courses, there’s no reason any candidate should fail if they’ve done what was asked of them - listen, make notes, ask questions, engage with my in-course testing regime (a particularly important point!) and do the small amount of homework required. I’m always surprised by those who don’t take it seriously.

Out of interest, what are yours and the national pass rate for ADR?

A simple enough question, but a full and accrate answer is not so straightforward.

I’m not aware of any national statistics for ADR Driver Training, and TBH I wouldn’t be overly concerned even if there were such statistics available, because I know for a concrete fact that not every Training Provider adheres as strictly to the rules as we do.

For example I can tell you for certain that Andejs would not have been able to take that photo in our exam room, as all personal belongings, especially phones, are secured in a safe location until the exams are finished. Also, I know some candidates sign up to our courses believing the instructor will be in the exam room to help them out because “That’s what happened when I went to XYZ for my last ADR” :unamused:

We all know that statistics can be used in a variety of ways to suit a particular narrative. My statistics are just for my own purposes, and I personally take the simplest (strictest) approach that: success = exams taken divided by exams passed, call that #1.

The stats would look better if I calculated it as how many people gained a valid, usable certificate, but lacking one of either Classes Group A or Classes Group B, call that measurement #2

I can improve these statistics even more by addressing it by gender - the girls :sunglasses: are beating the boys :blush: hands-down in those analyses.

Some months everyone passes everything, so both #1 and #2 methods equate to 100%. Last month the pass rate was 97% by #1, but 99% by #2 criteria.

I like to collate annual results too, over the past three years the annual rate has been 98.5% to 93.5% pass rates going by #1 criteria, but between 100% to 97% using criteria #2.

Zac_A:
A simple enough question, but a full and accrate answer is not so straightforward.

I’m not aware of any national statistics for ADR Driver Training, and TBH I wouldn’t be overly concerned even if there were such statistics available, because I know for a concrete fact that not every Training Provider adheres as strictly to the rules as we do.

For example I can tell you for certain that Andejs would not have been able to take that photo in our exam room, as all personal belongings, especially phones, are secured in a safe location until the exams are finished. Also, I know some candidates sign up to our courses believing the instructor will be in the exam room to help them out because “That’s what happened when I went to XYZ for my last ADR” :unamused:

We all know that statistics can be used in a variety of ways to suit a particular narrative. My statistics are just for my own purposes, and I personally take the simplest (strictest) approach that: success = exams taken divided by exams passed, call that #1.

The stats would look better if I calculated it as how many people gained a valid, usable certificate, but lacking one of either Classes Group A or Classes Group B, call that measurement #2

I can improve these statistics even more by addressing it by gender - the girls :sunglasses: are beating the boys :blush: hands-down in those analyses.

Some months everyone passes everything, so both #1 and #2 methods equate to 100%. Last month the pass rate was 97% by #1, but 99% by #2 criteria.

I like to collate annual results too, over the past three years the annual rate has been 98.5% to 93.5% pass rates going by #1 criteria, but between 100% to 97% using criteria #2.

I also ‘hear’ of unscrupulous practices. Drivers given answers, allowed to take books and paperwork in and even one driver that reckoned the instructor corrected some answers on his paper exam…
Make of it what you will. Zac does it right.

Thanks for that, I’m so hung up on these types of stats since I first took my 1st class 2 test, (many years ago). And 5 minutes before my test, the instructor basically says I haven’t a chance of passing! It was only then that I thought to ask the above question. ‘roughly that of the national average, 56%’ was his answer. Needless to say I didn’t pass. Obviously I wasn’t ready, and he didn’t have the relevant skills to have prepared me, but talk about shattering someone’s confidence!
I will get round to taking my ADR some time this year. (if only for the DCPC hours)

Sounds like your Class 2 instructor was similar to mine, who told me he didn’t think I’d pass because “you’re a very nervous driver” to which I replied, “It’s your instructing that’s making me nervous!”

He reckoned he’d been a military instructor, so he was constantly barking orders at me like I was one of his squaddies: I was just angry with him all the time. Fortunately I passed, despite his “instructing”, you should have seen the shock on his face when I gave him the thumbs up sign after we pulled into the testing station. :laughing:

Road2ruin:

Andrejs:
At Prigmore training sll test in PC tablets.I fail at first day class 2,3,6,8 test.Next day retest for 20 pound

Don’t take your phone out in the middle of the exams, you may get the exams voided and lose your money.

The training provider could be trouble if they allow it too.

This foto was before start of tests.Test have fixed time and started from time when push Green button in tablets.At test time table was clean from anything.

Andrejs:
This foto was before start of tests.Test have fixed time and started from time when push Green button in tablets. At test time table was clean from anything.

Doesn’t matter, under my auspices your phone would have been secured before you even entered the exam room.

I’d also be totally opposed to the use of tablets for the exams, as neither Android nor Apple allow you to alter the software; the devices we use are set so that it is not possible for a candidate to exit the exam screen to, for example, do a quick surreptitious Google for an answer, unless (like me) you’re geeky enough to know how to input command line code in a Linux terminal, which wouldn’t go unnoticed by the invigilator.

Additionally, tablet screens can be obscured from the invigilator, whereas our 21" monitors cannot.