ADR cource with online test and results

Zac_A:
I’m curious to know who charges £1000+ for ADR? Even “darn sarf” where prices are crazy, I’ve never heard of it being more than £700

Jcoates in Leicester want 900+.I not sure it is with CPC hours or they will change extra.

Cheers for that. I’m pretty shocked at their outrageous tariff.

As for DCPC hours it looks like you can only get 14 HOURS worth, and I believe I know why that might be: The Government made it an option about a year or so ago that training providers need not apply (and pay the fees for) some of the ADR modules, but if the customer submitted the necessary proof they could get up to 14 hours of DCPC.

So the training provider saves about £500 per year in course re-approval fees and the customer has to put in the extra effort to get 14 hours of DCPC.

All in all that’s a rubbish deal, I can only conclude there must be a massive shortage of competition in the Leicestershire area

Zac_A:

As for DCPC hours it looks like you can only get 14 HOURS worth, and I believe I know why that might be: The Government made it an option about a year or so ago that training providers need not apply (and pay the fees for) some of the ADR modules, but if the customer submitted the necessary proof they could get up to 14 hours of DCPC.

So the training provider saves about £500 per year in course re-approval fees and the customer has to put in the extra effort to get 14 hours of DCPC.

All in all that’s a rubbish deal, I can only conclude there must be a massive shortage of competition in the Leicestershire area

Why 14 only.Another provided said who they add 28hours if I take 5 day course .They can t count ejams day for CPC hour only.

yourhavingalarf:

Andrejs:
for only 495 quid.

For all…

The years I drove in Europe, I always called the currency of the country I was in at the time by it’s proper name. In Spain it was pesetas, France it was francs and so on. I’m sure the Spanish and French have nicknames for their currency but I never knew what they were.
I’m surprised that you use such a familiar English term when you struggle so hard with English… apparently.

A bit like dozy… Always pretending that they can’t string three words together, but occasionally they slip up. At least Andreski is consistent. dozy goes from unintelligible to haiku style, to ,‘Tim nice but dim’ at the drop of a hat.

B t w, if your application for membership of the exclusive members only club gets forwarded, I’ll second you. :sunglasses:

Zac_A:

Hi Zac A,

This post is all ‘AFAIK’, but I believe that 28 DCPC hrs are still available if a driver takes a five-day ADR course.

Whilst still steadfastly refusing to become a provider or have anything to do with any ADR provider’s side of ADR course admin, be that SQA or JAUPT, I’m told by a provider that DVSA can provide 14hrs.

AFAIK, the provider certifies something with some code or other, then the driver can get the extra 14hrs by applying for them from DVSA, thereby saving the provider from two course registration fees as you said.

I guess that assumes that the rules about carrying DCPC hours forward into the next cycle still apply, and that the driver’s DCPC ‘account’ isn’t full.

I currently work freelance for three different ADR providers who all do this DCPC ‘thing’ differently.

One waited until their JAUPT renewal was up, then only re-registered one course. (So only 21 DCPC hours available there.)

Another provider maintained all three DCPC ADR modules that they offered and chose not to be involved with the 14hrs offered by DVSA. (So only 21 DCPC hours available there too.)

The other provider maintained two modules (14 hrs) with JAUPT and deals with the other 14hrs offered by the DVSA method, so they can offer 28hrs for a five day ADR course as long as all criteria are met.

All three of the above ways of doing things are correct, and are at the choice of the provider.

Don’t ask me exactly how the DCPC ‘thing’ works now because I haven’t a clue since it got changed quite recently. :smiley:
One interesting thing about this ‘new’ system is that the DVSA will allow a 6hr day when they’re certifying it for DCPC. :smiley:

==============
:bulb: A lot of people seem to think that a fixed number of DCPC hours somehow automatically attach to an ADR course, but this is as incorrect now as it has been ever since the DCPC first came out for us in September 2009.

I only know this last bit for sure because I’ve taught an average of 20+ ADR courses per year since 2003 and clearly remember a bunch of new paperwork landing in September 2009 and a noticeable increase in enforcement by JAUPT’s EV Team since 2014.

Zac_A:

Not sure about competition.But Jcoates simply big name-driving school,different training in all East,some West Midlands.But ADR course running not exactly in Leicester.Last time 5 years ago I passed in Jcoates,training was in St.Albans.

Andrejs:
Why 14 only.Another provided said who they add 28hours if I take 5 day course .They can t count ejams day for CPC hour only.

I gave a potential reason for that in my earlier reply

Zac_A:

That’s my belief (no evidence) as to why they state on their website 14 hrs free CPC uploads available: The key word here is the careful use of the word “available” rather than “included”. They save money, but the driver has to do the work of making sure these hours are logged with DVSA.

My personal view on why that is not a good idea is that if anything goes wrong with the free uploads, the customer is simply going to blame the training provider, so they’re “making a rod for their own back”.

If they are offering more DCPC hours, then they aren’t including that in their pricing or marketing, which would be poor business practice, so you have to conclude they are not offering more.

As far as I can see from others providing DCPC hours for ADR,(at least in my area) it looks like most training providers have decided that it isn’t worth going for the “free 14”, and I would bet most of them have identified the same potential problem as I have here.

As for exams, no one gives DCPC hours for exam day, it doesn’t meet DVSA/JAUPT requirements so would not be allowed

dieseldave:
I believe that 28 DCPC hrs are still available if a driver takes a five-day ADR course.

Definitely still available, but as before the TP still has to go through the bureaucratic rigmarole to make this a reality, including the £252 fees per module per annum

I’m told by a provider that DVSA can provide 14hrs. The driver can get the extra 14hrs by applying for them from DVSA, thereby saving the provider from two course registration fees as you said.

Aye and there’s the rub, the candidate has to deal with requesting the hours, the training provider has no obligation to do it for them, so if they forget or don’t do it in time (five working days after the course) then the opportunity is lost, which the driver might see as the training provider’s fault, so the freebie has become an albatross; alternatively the TP has to oversee the candidate applying for the hours, so still has the responsibility of ensuring this is done, as before.

I guess that assumes that the rules about carrying DCPC hours forward into the next cycle still apply, and that the driver’s DCPC ‘account’ isn’t full.

DVSA are encouraging all drivers to get to grips with their DCPC record and take ownership over it, they’re telling training providers this “encouragement” should be part of every course.
gov.uk/check-your-driver-cp … ning-hours

I currently work freelance for three different ADR providers who all do this DCPC ‘thing’ differently.

One waited until their JAUPT renewal was up, then only re-registered one course. (So only 21 DCPC hours available there.)

Another provider maintained all three DCPC ADR modules that they offered and chose not to be involved with the 14hrs offered by DVSA. (So only 21 DCPC hours available there too.)

The other provider maintained two modules (14 hrs) with JAUPT and deals with the other 14hrs offered by the DVSA method, so they can offer 28hrs for a five day ADR course as long as all criteria are met.

All three of the above ways of doing things are correct, and are at the choice of the provider.

Don’t ask me exactly how the DCPC ‘thing’ works now because I haven’t a clue since it got changed quite recently. :smiley:

It works very poorly because JAUPT are extraordinarily inept. If the three TPs didn’t already have your qualifications (both the DVSA ADR Instructor approval and something to evidence an approved Level 3 “teaching qualification” such as BTEC AET) on file ready to re-log with JAUPT, then they’ll have been getting hassled to request them from you again. That is one of the biggest changes, an insistence that, even though you’ll have been teaching for these guys previously, they are now obliged to have you re-approved. :unamused:

One interesting thing about this ‘new’ system is that the DVSA will allow a 6hr day when they’re certifying it for DCPC. :smiley:

I’ll have to look into that further, last time I spoke to our mutual friend Peter at SQA, he suggested I just add other activities, which were clearly not ADR teaching units, to pad out the JAUPT-mandated day. Given that I have a set of revision quizzes for every teaching day, this works out quite well.

I’ve found it quite rare to see a JAUPT EV on the ADR courses, and it’s always been on the Wednesday when they come.

When i did my adr course we were told if we had passed or failed at the end of all the exams. We were then given a letter with the sqa logo on it supposedly from them saying we had passed the exams and were qualified as adr drivers and were told we could use the letter untill our cards arrived.

However this was in house training with a company provided trainerthat had done the relevent qualifications to instruct the course etc. But the one time i needed the qualification the branch i worked for wouldnt have it and made me do two runs so no idea if the bit of paper was legal or not.

cooper1203:
When i did my adr course we were told if we had passed or failed at the end of all the exams. We were then given a letter with the sqa logo on it supposedly from them saying we had passed the exams and were qualified as adr drivers and were told we could use the letter untill our cards arrived.

However this was in house training with a company provided trainerthat had done the relevent qualifications to instruct the course etc. But the one time i needed the qualification the branch i worked for wouldnt have it and made me do two runs so no idea if the bit of paper was legal or not.

I could help you with this if I understood what you’ve said. :confused:

I’m having to guess here a bit because you didn’t say when your training took place…
My guess is that your training took place between 27/03/20 and 30/11/20, which if true means that the paper you were given was to officially get you on the road carrying an ADR Regulated load without application of the normal requirement of having your new ADR Card on board the vehicle. This temporary allowance (DfT Authorisation 946) was time limited to the dates I’ve already given.

If my guess is correct, you were deemed to have an ADR card, so the branch should have seen it for what it was and allowed you to carry that load.

If my guess is incorrect, or you didn’t pass the exam for the UN Class that the branch wanted you to carry, then the branch was correct to split the load as they did.

My guess with regard to the training that you thought was ‘in-house’ might actually have been a mobile course of some sort on another provider’s licence. (Perfectly legal.)

Zac_A:
I’m curious to know who charges £1000+ for ADR? Even “darn sarf” where prices are crazy, I’ve never heard of it being more than £700

Another very cheap sent price.Start from 350 būt extra fot this,thus.Total 800+

dieseldave:

cooper1203:

I could help you with this if I understood what you’ve said. :confused:

I’m having to guess here a bit because you didn’t say when your training took place…
My guess is that your training took place between 27/03/20 and 30/11/20, which if true means that the paper you were given was to officially get you on the road carrying an ADR Regulated load without application of the normal requirement of having your new ADR Card on board the vehicle. This temporary allowance (DfT Authorisation 946) was time limited to the dates I’ve already given.

If my guess is correct, you were deemed to have an ADR card, so the branch should have seen it for what it was and allowed you to carry that load.

If my guess is incorrect, or you didn’t pass the exam for the UN Class that the branch wanted you to carry, then the branch was correct to split the load as they did.

My guess with regard to the training that you thought was ‘in-house’ might actually have been a mobile course of some sort on another provider’s licence. (Perfectly legal.)

your right i passed my training in august 2020. the guy that did the training pops up in various other training videos for the company that i was working for at the time but i guess your right an organisation can hire in whoever they like doesnt mean that they work for them,

cooper1203:
your right i passed my training in august 2020. the guy that did the training pops up in various other training videos for the company that i was working for at the time but i guess your right an organisation can hire in whoever they like doesnt mean that they work for them,

Any organisation can hire in any ADR provider they want to, … as long as the proposed classroom and other facilities are up to SQA standards. (There’s quite a lot of ‘specs’ for this.) The provider must also have a licence to conduct mobile courses.

Then we come to the instructor, who must be approved by SQA to teach for that particular provider.

Some ADR instructors are directly employed by the provider, which usually means that the instructor is tied to his/her employer.

Other ADR instructors are self-employed freelancers who may teach for several providers. This kind of instructor needs to be separately approved by SQA to teach ADR for each provider they work for.

Done my ADR tests for all classes (excl1,7) plus tank.This driving school have good price,good training.This lady know much than most man instructor with 2 high education.Both have plenty experience from live and still Marcus do driving job with ADR,Cat do office job with ADR.All tests in PC tablet.After tests in couple minute ready result.If fail that possible quickly take retests next day.
prigmoretraining.co.uk/our-trainers

Andrejs:

Zac_A:

Jcoates in Leicester want 900+.I not sure it is with CPC hours or they will change extra.

Something for the future reader to be aware of with this particular training provider: should you fail one of the ADR exams and need to retake it with them they see fit to charge an additional £100+VAT “admin fee” on top of the £20 no VAT SQA exam fee. Their “admin fee” applies per resit paper, i.e. double if someone had to retake two papers and so on.

It’s their business of course but I would suggest to anyone interested at Coates that the rate is not proportionate to the few moments it takes to rebook someone in for a resit on the SQA ADR portal.

By comparison: most other training providers take a much more reasonable view where if the candidate looking to retake a paper can attend the training venue when exams are pre-planned they will just charge the £20 no VAT SQA exam fee.

SRH:
… they see fit to charge an additional £100+VAT “admin fee” on top of the £20 no VAT SQA exam fee. Their “admin fee” applies per resit paper, i.e. double if someone had to retake two papers and so on.

It’s their business of course but I would suggest to anyone interested at Coates that the rate is not proportionate to the few moments it takes to rebook someone in for a resit on the SQA ADR portal.

By comparison: most other training providers take a much more reasonable view where if the candidate looking to retake a paper can attend the training venue when exams are pre-planned they will just charge the £20 no VAT SQA exam fee.

Yes, £100+VAT is very steep, and charging it per paper is outrageous, just like their prices generally, but I would tend to disagree that most training providers would not levy a fee. I would expect them to charge you for the use of their room/computer/accreditation/services-in-general. I would suggest £50+VAT would be more typical and for that single fee to cover multiple exams.

I could have clarified further: neither does the Coates resit admin fee of £100+VAT include any appropriate retraining that the candidate might require.

At Prigmore training sll test in PC tablets.I fail at first day class 2,3,6,8 test.Next day retest for 20 pound

SRH:
I could have clarified further: neither does the Coates resit admin fee of £100+VAT include any appropriate retraining that the candidate might require.

Yeah, I didn’t imagine it would.

Where I deliver the ADR, candidates are charged a “day fee” (£50+VAT) for redoing any training they might want, in addition to the same fee for resitting the exam(s).

Speaking purely for my courses, there’s no reason any candidate should fail if they’ve done what was asked of them - listen, make notes, ask questions, engage with my in-course testing regime (a particularly important point!) and do the small amount of homework required. I’m always surprised by those who don’t take it seriously.

Andrejs:
At Prigmore training sll test in PC tablets.I fail at first day class 2,3,6,8 test.Next day retest for 20 pound

Don’t take your phone out in the middle of the exams, you may get the exams voided and lose your money.

The training provider could be trouble if they allow it too.