ADR bag

If I go out in a vehicle carrying ADR goods I need an ADR bag with the required items inside. If I am carrying a passenger who is also a driver with ADR licence, do we have to have two ADR bags on the vehicle? Thanks for any replies.

Surely you can only have one driver of a vehicle at any one time?
I know nothing about ADR, but would be surprised if there were any requirements on a passenger.
So, if you are willing to share the one bag when you change drivers? That’s all you need… interested to know.

99.9% sure only one bag is required otherwise you would need one for all passengers regardless if they are adr certified and or a driver. the forum adr guru is your man for the definitive answer

One bag, but include 2x of most things like high vis, goggles, gloves etc.

I was told by our depot that only one adr bag is required and they don’t even have to provide a first aid kit…

When the ■■■■ did that change, because when I first did ADR we were told everyone in the cab had to have their own adr bag and we were issued first aid kits, which I still have but have to replenish myself!!!

Fragonard:
If I go out in a vehicle carrying ADR goods I need an ADR bag with the required items inside. If I am carrying a passenger who is also a driver with ADR licence, do we have to have two ADR bags on the vehicle? Thanks for any replies.

Hi Fragonard,

ADR doesn’t specify the number of bags, so all the PPE can be carried/stored in one bag if you wish.

Not all loads of dangerous goods are fully subject to all of ADR’s requirements… so if your load of dangerous goods is within the partial exemption limits (ADR TC 1 = 20Kg/L or ADR TC 2 = 333Kg/L or ADR TC 3 = 1,000Kg/L. [ADR TC 4 has no limit, so always benefits from the partial exemption], then you don’t need any of the PPE listed on your Instructions In Writing (IIW) and you don’t even need the IIW.

For a fully regulated load of dangerous goods, you’ll need the IIW, which must be supplied to you by the Carrier (usually your boss.)

On Page #4 of the IIW, you’ll see:

The following equipment shall be carried on board the transport unit:

- for each vehicle, a wheel chock of a size suited to the maximum mass of the vehicle and to the diameter of the wheel;

• two self-standing warning signs; [EG: Cones, triangles or amber flashing lights]
  • eye rinsing liquid__*__; and [approved type, sealed and within the expiry date]

for each member of the vehicle crew

• a warning vest; [hi-viz]
  • portable lighting apparatus; [non metallic torch]
  • a pair of protective gloves; and [PVC gloves are best for most jobs]
  • eye protection. [goggles giving complete protection to the eyes are best]

Additional equipment required for certain classes:

• an emergency escape mask for each member of the vehicle crew shall be carried on board the transport unit for danger label numbers 2.3 or 6.1; [2.3 = toxic gas, 6.1 = toxic liquids or toxic solids, including when these are a secondary or tertiary danger, in other words… whenever you see a skull and crossbones label!!]

• a [= 1] shovel;***

• a [= 1] drain seal; ***

• a [= 1] collecting container. ***

* = Not required for Classes 1 or 2
*** = ONLY required for solids and liquids of Classes 3, 4.1, 4.3, 8 or 9

========================

From the above, you’ll see that it doesn’t matter whether the extra crew member will drive or not.

If you click the following link, please be aware that it is aimed at your boss. :smiley:

ADR instructions in writing and use of electronic documentation - GOV.UK

stu675:
Surely you can only have one driver of a vehicle at any one time?

Correct.

stu675:
I know nothing about ADR, but would be surprised if there were any requirements on a passenger.

It can’t be any random passenger, because ADR has this to say on that subject:

ADR 8.3.1
Passengers
“Apart from members of the vehicle crew, no passengers may be carried in transport units carrying dangerous goods.”
It’s up to the carrier (usually the vehicle owner) to say/authorise who counts as ‘crew.’

stu675:
So, if you are willing to share the one bag when you change drivers? That’s all you need… interested to know.

I hope I’ve answered that for you. :smiley:

Thank you all very much for your help and in particular to the last reply by Dieseldave.