ADR advise

do you now require adr for limited quantities now?

Not as far as I’m aware. Dieseldave is your man.

Exempt from full ADR training if load only consists of LQ products. Driver should still have ‘Awareness training’ though. And if carrying more than 8 tonnes of LQ product then vehicle requires marking with LQ placards or alternatively orange plates front & rear.

2 kg fire extinguisher still needed on-board.

Dieseldave is the top man for all Adr.

Daz1970:
Exempt from full ADR training if load only consists of LQ products. Driver should still have ‘Awareness training’ though. And if carrying more than 8 tonnes of LQ product then vehicle requires marking with LQ placards or alternatively orange plates front & rear.

2 kg fire extinguisher still needed on-board.

Hi Daz1970,

You’re so very nearly correct…

The 2 kg fire extinguisher isn’t needed for the carriage of LQs.

:bulb: The LQ exemption is sometimes confused with the ‘small load’ exemption, but these are two completely different animals.

The 2 kg extinguisher is needed when using the ‘small load’ exemption.

LQs are best thought of as small amounts of dangerous goods that are packaged for retail sale, which means it’s the kinds of not particularly nasty stuff that a customer can buy over-the-counter in a retail shop.
:bulb: This means that folks don’t need an ADR licence to take their shopping home in their cars. :grimacing:

The ‘small load’ exemption can be used for some quite nasty and powerful stuff, but the allowances under that exemption are quite tight. The ‘small load’ exemption is used when the dangerous goods are packaged in normal sized IBCs, drums, jerricans or boxes etc and relates to the actual amount carried on board a vehicle at any one time.

Ok Dave, cheers…good practice to carry a 2kg fire extinguisher anyway - even if not legally required■■?

wildfire:
do you now require adr for limited quantities now?

Hi wildfire,

The answer to your question (as you wrote it) is… NO mate, an ADR licence is NOT required for the carriage of Limited Quantities (LQs) regardless of the vehicle size or the amount loaded.

:bulb: People regularly confuse LQs with the ‘small load’ exemption, so please also read my answer to Daz1970 above.

Daz1970:
Ok Dave, cheers…good practice to carry a 2kg fire extinguisher anyway - even if not legally required■■?

Hi Daz1970,

Yes mate, in practice it’s a very good idea indeed.
Most people who run ADR stuff regularly will very probably have the full set of extinguishers, so that won’t ever become an issue in a roadside check on a day when they’re only carrying LQs because they would be overly compliant.

However, my advice was aimed at compliance for those who may only occasionally carry an LQ load, who might need to know the exact goalposts for their situation. :smiley:

thanks dave

Daz1970:

Carry all the fire extinguishers you want, they don’t do much unless you’re willing to use them - I’m a fast runner :grimacing: