Adjustment of ERF ECT/MAN XL Door

I have an ERF ECT, which has the MAN XL cab. There is a lot of wind noise around the top of the door and it lets in water as well. I have looked at the hinges and there doesn’t seem to be anywhere to adjust it.
Any ideas? Anyone had the same problem?

Carl

a little trick that is done on the Iveco Eurostar is to put a block of wood on the lock side of the door and push the top of the door.

what happens is when the cab is tilted over, someone opens the door and it strains the hinges, by putting the block there and pushing it back, it re-aligns the top edge of the door

shuttlespanker:
a little trick that is done on the Iveco Eurostar is to put a block of wood on the lock side of the door and push the top of the door.

what happens is when the cab is tilted over, someone opens the door and it strains the hinges, by putting the block there and pushing it back, it re-aligns the top edge of the door

I will try it but it is quite a substantial lump of metal and I don’t think I will shift it.

Just to update the original post - The original hinges on this model are welded to the door and bolted to the cab frame. They are prone to cracking at the door side and so an upgrade hinge is available that bolts on both sides. The door that is problematic has had this upgrade carried out by its previous owners and it probably hasn’t been re fitted properly.

Carl

if it is bolted on to the door and the frame, then there will be a little bit of play in the bolt holes, it may be worth loosening the hinges, one side at a time and tring to move them, only a little can cure the problem.

That would not help as that would give up/down foreward/backward movement. What I need to do is pull the top of the door inwards.

there is no adjustment on the tga hinges, its a common fault that when they wear they drop the door and the only real fix it to replace the hinges. Hinges are about £100 each from Imex or your local dealer.

I was advised by a MAN fitter to put a bar in between the door and the hinge and give it a tug, and that would adjust it to fit better… wrong it actually made it worse, so he skulked off and I changed the hinges, job was then fixed.

This door has new hinges already due to the upgrade earlier described. The top of the door need to press tighter to the rubber seal. If what you are all saying is true then I guess the door itself must be bent?

Speck:
This door has new hinges already due to the upgrade earlier described. The top of the door need to press tighter to the rubber seal. If what you are all saying is true then I guess the door itself must be bent?

I had one of mine that was exactly as you describe yours, it had new hinges and yet still had a gap at the top, also gave a howling windnoise and leaked slightly.

I decided to change the top hinge again, as the hinge was non genuine, when the plastic bits were taken off, we actually found on the inside, where the top hinge bolted to the upright panel, this part of the steel body was found to have broken spot welds, therefore it opened the gap between the 2 parts of steel and thus allowed the top hinge to sit out further than it was designed to.

My fitter took the door off and managed to reweld where the spot welds had broken, and on refitting the door it was a perfect line up again.

Perhaps its worth checking this on yours, you never know

tc trans:

Speck:

I had one of mine that was exactly as you describe yours, it had new hinges and yet still had a gap at the top, also gave a howling windnoise and leaked slightly.

I decided to change the top hinge again, as the hinge was non genuine, when the plastic bits were taken off, we actually found on the inside, where the top hinge bolted to the upright panel, this part of the steel body was found to have broken spot welds, therefore it opened the gap between the 2 parts of steel and thus allowed the top hinge to sit out further than it was designed to.

My fitter took the door off and managed to reweld where the spot welds had broken, and on refitting the door it was a perfect line up again.

Perhaps its worth checking this on yours, you never know

Is this something that can be seen or would I have to strip the hinge to find it? If I understand your post correctly what you are saying is the hinge was fine but there was damage to the cab frame?

without looking at the motor I cant recall exactly, but if memory serves me rights I opened the front grill, and then removed the top part of the plastic door surround, the piece that goes up the front edge of the door and also along the windscreen edge near to the door. Its only a few hex screws that hold it in, easily found with the door open.

Once this was removed it was clearly evident.