Adding CPC to C Licence

Hello All - time to rack your brains if you dont mind.

I got my Class C earlier this year as a little “gizzit” from my current job - that was very nice of them to pay for everything from medicals, theories, lesssons, test and new licence.

Thing is, tight gits wouldnt put me through CPC as I qualify for the legal exemption in CPC & Tacho’s & Drivers Hours etc … :wink:

So now I want to do a little bit of wooo and a little bit of waaah to get some driving experience and earn a little extra cash on my days off.

I may be overseeing something asI still need to do plenty of reading … but I need to go and complete modules 2 & 4 of the CPC to get my full ticket.

Whats the best way to do this?

The theory ive been told is around £30 which Im assuming can be done at any DSA test centre and I am guessing I can arrange that myself? But the practical is where I am slighly stumped as most people will take this when they undertake thier practical driving test … which of course I have already done. Does that mean then that I would have to hire a truck, drive it to the test centre and then sit the CPC Module4? Is there then a minimum test standard for the vehicle as I may be able to obtain one (tipper)?

Any suggestions ?

These are the prices that I have been quoted so far:
For the initial CPC you need to pass the following:

Module 2 case Study theory Test = £30.00

LGV Manual = £17.50 & P+P = £20.00

Module 4 Practical Demonstration Test = £172.50

4 Hour Practical Training Course = £117.50

THanks in advance …

hi I can only give a quick answer but you age right on the theory that can be done at any centre and booked youself the same way you booked your other theory.

As for the practical you need to get in touch with a local training school. I payed £220 for 5 hours raining and the test. your trainer will drive the lorry all you have to do is the test when you get there. flair training have put together an excellent guide with all the possible questions which I reccomend you read over and over. I’m sure someone will post the link on here for you.

good luck

hello google my user name and visit the 1st webite via natural listings. We have over 85 training co’s around the UK that can help you.

Good luck

www.hgvlgvtraining.co.uk

Hi
Module 2 no real problem. Just book a test like booking atheory and take it locally. 50 questions all multi choice and the pass mark is 38. There are some examples available at drivingtheory4all.co.uk for about £15. The test fee is £30

Then for Module 4…The test fee is £55. As you know you need a vehicle for this test. The vehicle presented must meet the minimum testing standards meaning it must have a fixed enclosed body with at least 8 forward gears and ABS braking. It must also meet the minimum dimension requirements.

The easiest way is to book it through a LGV training company. Of course this will cost.

The test is not so daunting but I do recommend some training as the pass mark is quite high and just 1 badly answered question will result in a fail.

Good luck with it and feel free to ask questions if you need further help

Regards

John

Flair Training

Just ring a local driving school, search for lgv training ‘town nearest’ and ring round a few. I would go and see them before you book/pay don’t want to waste your money with an broker or rubbish school.

I would avoid paying anymore than £250 plus the test fee. Also you have passed the theory element before you can take the practical cpc test.

Hi. Tockwith Training has put it quite brilliantly. Go direct and avoid brokers. It should not cost more than £250 all in.
If you Google my user name you can find a learning provider via our site. Tockwith Training and other reputable training co’s can be found. Go direct. Save time and money!!!

hgvlgvtraining

p.s. I believe you can also find a good provider via Rog’s list of recommended providers on this website.

LGVTrainer:
Hi
Module 2 no real problem. Just book a test like booking atheory and take it locally. 50 questions all multi choice and the pass mark is 38. There are some examples available at drivingtheory4all.co.uk for about £15. The test fee is £30

Then for Module 4…The test fee is £55. As you know you need a vehicle for this test. The vehicle presented must meet the minimum testing standards meaning it must have a fixed enclosed body with at least 8 forward gears and ABS braking. It must also meet the minimum dimension requirements.

The easiest way is to book it through a LGV training company. Of course this will cost.

The test is not so daunting but I do recommend some training as the pass mark is quite high and just 1 badly answered question will result in a fail.

Good luck with it and feel free to ask questions if you need further help

Regards

John

Flair Training

If the vehicle has got to have 8 forward gears, how would a 7.5 ton driver go on? or am i missing something here.

Hello Archies

I was talking about a Cat C vehicle but you are correct. You can take the test in a C1 (7.5t) vehicle providing it meets the minimum vehicle testing requirements. For clarity these are:-

Category C1
A medium sized lorry with a maximum authorised mass (MAM) of at least 4 tonnes, at least 5 metres in length, capable of 80 km/h (50 mph) and with a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab.

Category C1 + E
There are two types of test vehicle in the C1 + E category.

-A drawbar outfit made from a combination of a category C1 vehicle towing a trailer of at least 2 tonnes MAM with a combined length of at least 8 metres, capable of 80 km/h (50 mph) and with a closed box trailer at least as high and as wide as the towing vehicle. The trailer may be slightly less wide than the towing vehicle, but the view to the rear must be by use of external mirrors only.

-A medium sized articulated lorry with a MAM of at least six tonnes with a combined length of at least 8 metres, capable of 80 km/h (50 mph) and with a closed box trailer at least as high and as wide as the towing vehicle. The trailer may be slightly less wide than the towing vehicle, but the view to the rear must be by use of external mirrors only.

Category C
A rigid goods vehicle with a MAM of at least 12 tonnes, at least eight metres in length and least 2.4 metres in width, capable of 80 km/h (50 mph). The vehicle should have at least eight forward ratios, a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab.

Category C + E
There are two types of test vehicle in the C + E category.

-A drawbar outfit made from a combination of a category C vehicle and trailer with a MAM of 20 tonnes and a length of at least 7.5 metres from coupling eye to extreme rear and a combined length of at least 14 metres with a trailer at least 2.4 metres in width. The vehicle combination should be capable of 80 km/h (50 mph), with at least 8 forward ratios and a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab.

-An articulated lorry with a MAM of at least 20 tonnes, with a minimum length of 14 metres and and minimum width of at least 2.4 metres. The maximum length of the vehicle is 16.5 metres (54 feet) or for a low-loader trailer manafactured on or after 1 April 1981 the maximum length is 18 metres (59 feet). The vehicle should be capable of 80 km/h (50 mph) and have with at least 8 forward ratios and a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab

Hope this clears any doubts

Regards

John
Flair Training