Adding 7.5t truck, please explain costs

Hi, I own a small removal firm, currently have 1 van and have to sub work out due to lack of transport, so I am considering adding a 7.5t box to cope with bigger jobs, but I have no idea about costs involved, I heard that I would need O operator licence & have actual business premises. I operate from home office at the moment.

Could you please give me a breakdown of what regulations have to be met and what are extra costs involved please. Some removal companies opt out for 3 vans instead of 1 van + 7.5t box, need to establish the way forward.

Thanks a lot in advance.

For a 7.5 T, your use would need a standard national operators license as you are moving other people’s goods.

To get one you need to show £7200 available at all times to cover vehicle costs, have a CPC qualified transport manager who takes responsibility for making sure your compliant, and a service/inspection contract for inspections between 4 and 13 weeks apart depending on your mileage and use type.

There is also a £560 (ish) application fee which if successful lasts for 5 years.

You must have placed a specific advert in a local paper in the planning section to advertise your planned operating centre, giving people the chance to object. This can be around £200.

Of course your operating centre must be level, safe and in a suitable location for your type of use and frequency of vehicle movement.

You must remember that running a ‘truck’ is considered a large responsibility composited to a van, and you will be expected to run your operation as such, by having suitable procedures in place for defect reporting, inspections, daily checks, drivers compliance with the WTD and drivers hours rules etc.

The official guidance for operators licensing can be found here:

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … _Guide.pdf

A copy of the application form can be found here:

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … 4/GV79.pdf

And all other related documents here:

gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicl … -a-licence

For details on service requirements read this:

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … V_1110.pdf

Ahhh! Links are showing when I press send, but not showing up?! Help TN experts.

Race Trucker:
Ahhh! Links are showing when I press send, but not showing up?! Help TN experts.

Hi RT,

I’ve just checked your links, and they all seem to be working nicely. :smiley:

Thank you. That sounds like a lot, will need to consider whether benefit will be worth it. No wonder a lot of removal cos this end stay with vans.

It is a big jump in operating costs, which does require a much higher rate. That said, they are very different vehicles and if these restrictions were not in place the low vehicle standards some keep are shocking.

Half the ‘private HGVs’ around I look at and wonder how they pass test. There are far too many 7.5t running round with no tacho, no o license and taxed as P HGV on Buisness use causing a real danger!

Just ask for any more running cost details!

Thank you RT. As much as I would like to have a 7.5t on board, I think looking at all of the above and extra costs in insurance & maintenance I am simply not ready for it right now.

How about if I was to get another van with big enough engine (Iveco?) and hook up a large trailer? Would I need a tacho? What are extra running costs here?

Thank you.

There’s no difference what so ever you would have to meet the same criteria.

I see. In which case I am getting another Luton :slight_smile: Shame, as I could have really benefited from a 7.5 tonner, but it’s just too pricey to set up at this stage. Maybe I should register it in Romania LOL

Thanks guys and Merry Xmas to all and a prosperous 2014!

romik:
How about if I was to get another van with big enough engine (Iveco?) and hook up a large trailer? Would I need a tacho? What are extra running costs here?

I think I am right in saying that if you did this then you would have to careful not exceed 3.5t gross weight, that the driver driving the van + trailer combo passed their test before 1997 (I think) and if the towing vehicle you use pulls the trailer on a regular basis then that towing vehicle would also require a tacho to be fitted!

Could well be wrong, im sure someone better informed will clarify it better. :wink:

If you were trying to stay under 3.5t train then you may as well just freight your 3.5t van and not bother wasting 400kg on the trailer.

Need an O licence as well as the tacho over 3.5t so you’re in the same position as with the 7.5t.

bullitt:

romik:

I think I am right in saying that if you did this then you would have to careful not exceed 3.5t gross weight, that the driver driving the van + trailer combo passed their test before 1997 (I think) and if the towing vehicle you use pulls the trailer on a regular basis then that towing vehicle would also require a tacho to be fitted!

Could well be wrong, im sure someone better informed will clarify it better. :wink:

Almost spot on… If the plated max weights combine to 3.5 T or more you must have a tacho, O License and any driver must have a DCPC.

This is the case even if the van is only used in this case once a year - no tacho then it’s technically illegal - this is a common issue.

A dcpc is not needed for 3.5 tonner and trailer ,and unless thing s have changed there was a firm from Tamworth running 2.5 tonne transits as mini artics at 3.5 tonne gross with no tacho ,olicence ,or dcpc, they carried one tonne in a high volume cage trailer.

This is from the GOV.UK site…

1. Driving licence rules and what you can tow
The rules on what you can tow are different depending on when you passed your driving test.
Licences issued from 19 January 2013
From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:
small trailers weighing no more than 750kg
trailers weighing more than 750kg, where the combined weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM)
If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than 3,500kg, you’ll have to pass a further test and get B+E entitlement on your licence.
You’ll then be able to tow trailers up to 3,500kg.
Licences held from 1 January 1997
If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can:
drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as it is no more than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle (with a combined weight of up to 3,500kg in total)
For anything heavier you need to take a category B+E driving test.
Licences held before 1 January 1997
If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM.
This is the weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely when it’s being used on the road.
You also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

Confused??.. well it would seem that if you or any of your drivers were born after 1st January 1980 and they only have a car licence then they may well need to take another test (B+E) to tow the trailer on the back of one of your vans! If I was you, I would contact VOSA to explain your “hypothetical” concern then double check it with a local, reputable training company. :wink:

I don’t know if you have read this thread on the old timers forum but there are a some removal people on there who may be in a better position to offer you advise…

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=76482