adblue

why on earth cant you get this on the allstar card?..

not sure if you can on the adblue that comes out of the pumps…but from the shop you cant!

annoying!

can you run the truck with out any adblue in it!?

It’s against the law to run the vehicle with no ad-blue in it, also it cuts your engine power by a LOT!

I’ve no idea about that card, we only had the all star card as a back up incase we were running really low on fuel and couldn’t find a key fuels depot.

i never knew it was against the law?

crazy!

i did think it would do something powerwise like that too the engine mind you…

as for allstar cards, thats all we ever use, i have mentioned about keyfuels but they say we are morelikely to need regular fuel as we are all over europe, so we just use that instead.

or shell fuels

roger red hat:
i never knew it was against the law?

crazy!

i did think it would do something powerwise like that too the engine mind you…

It’s against the law due to the tax rules - vehicle is taxed lower due to lower emissions etc, then you’ve got the low emissions sticker LEV to allow you into tunnels in europe and into London Centre’s LEZ etc.

I don’t know how true it is that VOSA can do you for not having ad-blue in, but I’ve ran out in the past and the truck went into ‘power restricted mode’ which was approx 240bhp out of a 430bhp truck :open_mouth:

On my dCPC course, they said that VOSA will do you if you’re out of ad-blue, they also said that the engine reduces power at 25% but reduces it more when very low / empty which is when you get the warning in the cab and that is also recorded onto the trucks management computer.

How come people only put about 30pence worth in :confused:
Everytime I stop at a services to fill up with diesel I notice that the last sale on the adblue pump is only a few pence.

i never noticed the little amount put it?

this is on the brand new daf…i thought it would be important as it has a guage all of its own…

so i pay for it out of my own money £13.50 for a 10 litre bottle…work reimbursed me, but thats not the point!

you can get oil in the card, why not adblue! annoying.

roger red hat:
…as we are all over europe…

Even more important to not run out then. A lot of teh European road user charges are based on the EURO classification of the vehicle, the vignette and the German Maut for instance, so if you have bought them based on a EURO 5 but have run out of Ad Blue you can expect a big fine.

roger red hat:
why on earth cant you get this on the allstar card?..

not sure if you can on the adblue that comes out of the pumps…but from the shop you cant!

annoying!

can you run the truck with out any adblue in it!?

I sometimes buy it on a keyfuel card so cards do work with AdBlue but it is a very dear way of doing it, we find it’s much cheaper to buy it at any of the main dealers, it’s a lot cheaper there & all the dealers on our patch stock it & are happy to fill us up when we need some. Why not ask your office where they have accounts & fill up with AdBlue there.

BB

They do a handy 10 litre size canister, cheaper to carry it with you or keep it in the oil store, surely no one buys engine oil down the road in the UK.

The canisters come in handy for our racing, just a handy size for Methanol

roger red hat:
so i pay for it out of my own money £13.50 for a 10 litre bottle…work reimbursed me, but thats not the point!

do you buy your groceries in Harrods ?

( I hope that was an emergency as you paid way over the normal price for that !) :wink:

yeah it was…i thought it would be on the card, but it wasnt!

services!..yuk!

how much is it normally?..im planning on taking a few 10 litres bottles with me when im out in norway on monday.

as i wont be able to pay for it on the pump =(

as for buying it in, you mean buying it in and keeping it at the yard in like a 200 litre barrel or something? and filling up as and when?

i think its something like one tank of diesel to one tank of adblue??

Denis F:

roger red hat:

do you buy your groceries in Harrods ?

( I hope that was an emergency as you paid way over the normal price for that !) :wink:

It’s a very expensive way of buying it. An IBC at your yard is the cheaper option. Pumps are next best. Those cans are twice as expensive.

Our Merc Atego 7.5 tonners do NOT go into reduced power mode. I wish they would though.

If you drive without AdBlue in the system, you can do serious damage to the exhaust system.

roger red hat:
and filling up as and when?

i think its something like one tank of diesel to one tank of adblue??

it depends on tank sizes :wink: normal usage should be a maximum 5 % of adblue to diesel

the cheapest way of buying it is an IBC (or 200l drums if you’re not using very much) and then carry a few cans for longer trips

bubsy06:
How come people only put about 30pence worth in :confused:
Everytime I stop at a services to fill up with diesel I notice that the last sale on the adblue pump is only a few pence.

it usually means the pump is clogged up with crystallised adblue and won’t pump any more out !!!

As said above its illegal to drive with no ad blue in the tank. When you dont have any ad blue, the engine management light comes on the dash and is stored in the vehicles memory and you usually have to get it plugged in to put the light out. Ad blues only sprayed into the exhaust system to cut down the emissions that come out the exhaust and running it without adblue wont harm the exhaust system… I’d recommend getting a 200l drum of it in your yard as its the cheapest way of doing it, just make sure you use it with clean containers and keep any dirt out as dirt in the system can cause alot of pricey problems like adblue pumps and the likes. Adblue goes off aswell, i think it needs to be used within a year so aslong as you use up the drum before a year it’ll be fine. Hope this helps clear it up :slight_smile:

StuSweeney:
running it without adblue wont harm the exhaust system…

It does. AdBlue is added after combustion but before the catalytic converter. Untreated gases will, over time, have an affect on the cat and they cost a fortune!