Adaptive Cruise Control

Hi, any one got this in there truck, my next one is supposed to be coming with it.

What truck is it ? We have Predictive Powertrain Control on our Actros’s is that similar ?

The new Renault, I’ve no idea, but I know how it’s supposed to work.
As in you set the speed as normal, but you also set the distance between you and any vehicle you catch up and will match their speed even if they slow down and then speed up, then if you decide you want to pull out to overtake, once you go into another lane it will resume the max speed set on cruise.
Clarkson tested a merc with it fitted on top gear, and that would brake to a complete stop behind another vehicle, like when approaching traffic lights without the driver having to touch the brake pedal, no idea if the Renault does that yet though, but it does the other.

Just googled predictive power train control, looks very complex lol.

Ok so that sounds different to ours then.

I’m driving an Actros on Demo at the moment. Top of the Range Model, it’s going back tomorrow [CRYING FACE]& as Bald Bloke says it’s got the Predictive Powertrain Control. Basically as I see it, it’s got GPS in the computer, so it knows where you are, it will select a lower gear before you even get to a hill & it will drop into a false neutral as you go over a brow of a hill, as long as you are in cruise control. It’s also got Adaptive Cruise Control, you can select the distance to the vehicle in front & it will slow down or speed up with the traffic flow & yes, it will brake to a stop if you let it ( I’m still trying to ‘Trust’ it to let it totally stop on its own. Lol.

Were not afforded such luxurious specs on our Mercs, pretty bog standard ours are.

NewLad:
Were not afforded such luxurious specs on our Mercs, pretty bog standard ours are.

If we buy some (they’re looking to buy 5 to start with) ours will be the same as yours, doubt we’ll even get fridges in them. Grrr.

This one is really nice to drive, with all the ‘Tech’ on it, but a lot of operators won’t pay £90k + for a work horse, so we end up with the Basic Models for around £70k. (That’s why we’ve got 8 Basic MAN’s at the moment, no blue tooth, no fridges, no Jacuzzis/whatever next ! Lol)

Can see it being good on, but no idea what will happen to the tailgater behind you when you get cut up, lol.

Same mate no fridges in these, although we pull a 45ft one its no good when you’ve got mangos on it at +10 cooking your milk into cheese.

weeto:
Can see it being good on, but no idea what will happen to the tailgater behind you when you get cut up, lol.

That’s why I’ve been touching the brakes when slowing down, then it knocks the Predictive CC off, so you’ve got to keep braking anyway, or use the 3 stage engine brake.
It’s about changing the way we drive, even bigger gaps, but then, some Numpty fills it any way, so we’re back to square one !

I had a nice 2 second gap in the road works around J28 M1 today, had all the Tech switched on doing 50 mph & a wagon n drag over took me & filled the gap, slowing down as he did it, making my sensors go silly & slow me down even more,
THAT WAS IT !
Switched it all off & went back into the middle lane & carried on past Mr Gap Filler & had a good line of sight to the next vehicle.

WHY DO SO CALLED PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS KEEP TUCKING INTO GAPS THAT ARE ONLY 10 ft BIGGER THAN THE WAGON THEY ARE DRIVING ■■?

KNOB’s.

NewLad:
Same mate no fridges in these, although we pull a 45ft one its no good when you’ve got mangos on it at +10 cooking your milk into cheese.

Ha Ha !
False economy !
When I park up for the night, the Cider goes on the Dash, engine’s left running & the air con is run for about an hour to cool it down. !

I bet the Boss’s Bently has got a Fridge in it & working Air Con !

martinviking:

weeto:

That’s why I’ve been touching the brakes when slowing down, then it knocks the Predictive CC off, so you’ve got to keep braking anyway, or use the 3 stage engine brake.
It’s about changing the way we drive, even bigger gaps, but then, some Numpty fills it any way, so we’re back to square one !

I had a nice 2 second gap in the road works around J28 M1 today, had all the Tech switched on doing 50 mph & a wagon n drag over took me & filled the gap, slowing down as he did it, making my sensors go silly & slow me down even more,
THAT WAS IT !
Switched it all off & went back into the middle lane & carried on past Mr Gap Filler & had a good line of sight to the next vehicle.

WHY DO SO CALLED PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS KEEP TUCKING INTO GAPS THAT ARE ONLY 10 ft BIGGER THAN THE WAGON THEY ARE DRIVING ■■?

KNOB’s.

I think it’s because they are scared to be out of lane 1 for to long, screwdrivers, caught one on video the other day, you can spot most of the screwdrivers approaching.

Its very good used it on a Volvo rigid. You can set a safe distance from the vehicle in front and it keeps that distance.
If someone gets in front as long as they are moving away from you nothing happens, but if they slow down it will react and slow you down.
I use to use it on a night trunk when there were two of us, let him go first set it up and relax. Especially good if its a bit misty set on max
distance and you shouldnt run into him. I followed the guy into the services with it on and only had to manually brake when we got into the lorry
park. Use wisely its very helpful.
We also had proximity warning as well if the vehicle in front slows suddenly and you dont respond you get a warning beep and red light all over the dash.
Certainly wakes you up. Make the most of the technology and enjoy your new truck. And thats from an old trucker. :smiley:

My old Ovlov FH 520 80th Anniversary had it, it was defective and braked at random times.

Only worked with the retarder stick in A.

I took the fuse out after it kept braking for no reason or I had my Retarder stick on 0 and then had to watch my speed on the Cambuslang run from Manchester.

And all this rubbish is called progress, no doubt if fitted to some executive pen pushers car it would be, it might even impress small boys.

This electronic junk de-skills the drivers job yet another level, and some wonder why they are still struggling to get £8 an hour basic.

martinviking:

KNOB’s.

+1

Trucker56:
Its very good used it on a Volvo rigid. You can set a safe distance from the vehicle in front and it keeps that distance.
If someone gets in front as long as they are moving away from you nothing happens, but if they slow down it will react and slow you down.
I use to use it on a night trunk when there were two of us, let him go first set it up and relax. Especially good if its a bit misty set on max
distance and you shouldnt run into him. I followed the guy into the services with it on and only had to manually brake when we got into the lorry
park. Use wisely its very helpful.
We also had proximity warning as well if the vehicle in front slows suddenly and you dont respond you get a warning beep and red light all over the dash.
Certainly wakes you up. Make the most of the technology and enjoy your new truck. And thats from an old trucker. :smiley:

I had the FM for a week back in February & that had all the Tech on it. I was wondering just how much can you relax in there new ‘Fangled’ machines, I reckon that it will encourage Complaincy & even more use is mobiles & laptops. I had a couple of moments on hills where I caught the wagon up in front while trying to get into the next lane to overtake & she just braked, leaving me looking like a pudding in the middle lane with nothing to overtake, because I’d lost my momentum. Lol.

It’s not clever to tailgate these days (never was) especially behind one of these new wagons.

This one even keeps ‘■■■■■■■’ at you, if you touch the white lines either side without indicating, it’s on all the time. It will more or less drive itself. I only have to steer it most of the time.

Shame I can’t just stay in the bunk, while it takes me to Asda, Didcot, this morning.

weeto:

martinviking:

weeto:

THAT WAS IT !

KNOB’s.

I think it’s because they are scared to be out of lane 1 for to long, screwdrivers, caught one on video the other day, you can spot most of the screwdrivers approaching.

Or maybe he’s an emphatic gent who doesn’t want to slow lane 2 for longer than is necessary to complete his overtake. I rarely pull in without a flash unless it’s warranted.

I get what you’re saying about some chaps being a but too keen to return to lane 1 though for whatever reason. Safety first & all that, that comes with age, confidence & experience though.

My new car is fitted with adaptive cruise control.
Took a bit of getting used to but then so did ordinary cruise control.when I first got a new wagon with it back in the 90’s and I wouldn’t drive without it now.
And yes it will brake you to a halt but it took some trusting first time and personally I still do the stopping just rely on it to keep me at a safe distance onotorways etc.