Adaptive Cruise Control - Mindblown

I think this is the easiest truck to drive by far. New (to me) FH4 given to me about a month ago. Love it to pieces and a massive boost to the old volvo.
A34 today, Oxford to Newbury didn’t touch the pedals till i got to East Ilsley as i was once again cut up by a tool in a bag of ■■■■ (ford focus)

Anyone else enjoy it? I think this volvo by far beats the scania under driving comfort and technology included, even in a stock (ish) model

Out of curiosity how close to the vehicle in front does ACC hold you, lets say at 50mph ? or does it let you choose the distance?
I have never driven one of these all singing all dancing electronic wonder machines.

Bluey Circles:
Out of curiosity how close to the vehicle in front does ACC hold you, lets say at 50mph ? or does it let you choose the distance?
I have never driven one of these all singing all dancing electronic wonder machines.

On the DAFs you can choose the distance but the minimum gap it’ll set is 2 seconds. As your speed varies the minimum distance from the vehicle in front varies. Its intelligent enough to sense when a vehicle has pulled in front of you and is pulling away from you such as at an entry sliproad but it has issues with vehicles slowing down to exit such as a petrol station sliproad where sometimes it’ll unnecessarily whack the brakes on when its clear to you the vehicle will have long got out the way.

They’re fantastic for use in roadworks such as the A1 Scotch Corner where HGVs are limited to L1. Takes all the stress out of it.

Mindblown just about covers the state of the mind that came up with this crap.
Electronic eyes and it’s collective electric brain in charge of the brakes, now what could possibly go wrong with that.

Unfortunately the results we see on the road every day due in no small way to the increasing number of idiots attracted to the job, and apparently in the eyes of incompetent transport admin deemed capable of doing the job entirely due to said dumbing down, has helped lead us into this race to the bottom, which has only a little further to go before its goal is reached.

Maybe next it’ll be the all seeing eye that stops half wits driving into bridges and off the road into ditches and up trees, maybe the machine will take over steering for the wheel attendant when it sees a likely scenario, anyone’s imagination could be right.

You’re all welcome to this new world of what was once lorry driving lads and lasses, quite what input you’ll have on what the vehicle does in ten years time i’m not sure, one thing won’t change, when error 404 rears its ugly head and the lorry drives itself into an otherwise preventible tragedy, you, the driver (when it suits) will still be to blame.

Adaptive cruise control is an assist, not a driver takeover. However much it is lovely to use, i am constantly got my wits about me. Nothing will change that. I’ve always got that foot hovering over the brake pedal as per usual, especially on the A34 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Juddian:
Electronic eyes and it’s collective electric brain in charge of the brakes, now what could possibly go wrong with that.

Unfortunately the results we see on the road every day due in no small way to the increasing number of idiots attracted to the job, and apparently in the eyes of incompetent transport admin deemed capable of doing the job entirely due to said dumbing down, has helped lead us into this race to the bottom, which has only a little further to go before its goal is reached.

Maybe next it’ll be the all seeing eye that stops half wits driving into bridges and off the road into ditches and up trees, maybe the machine will take over steering for the wheel attendant when it sees a likely scenario, anyone’s imagination could be right.

You’re all welcome to this new world of what was once lorry driving lads and lasses, quite what input you’ll have on what the vehicle does in ten years time i’m not sure, one thing won’t change, when error 404 rears its ugly head and the lorry drives itself into an otherwise preventible tragedy, you, the driver (when it suits) will still be to blame.

Nail hit squarely on head Juddian.

Juddian:

It’s not just driving where technology is taking over. Manufacturing and retail have already become pretty autonomous. Robots are in hospitals performing operations and technology is aiding diagnosis in a way that was unimaginable just ten years ago. Even my old trade, teaching, is becoming overwhelmed by the NEED to use tech.
IMO, nothing to do with racing to the bottom or dumbing down the job, simply progress. The big question is, is it progress simply for the sake of it or does it serve a useful purpose?

Captain Caveman 76:

Juddian:

It’s not just driving where technology is taking over. Manufacturing and retail have already become pretty autonomous. Robots are in hospitals performing operations and technology is aiding diagnosis in a way that was unimaginable just ten years ago. Even my old trade, teaching, is becoming overwhelmed by the NEED to use tech.
IMO, nothing to do with racing to the bottom or dumbing down the job, simply progress. The big question is, is it progress simply for the sake of it or does it serve a useful purpose?

Or, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I honestly think it’s simply a case of one manufacturer trying to out do another, most of the time.

It is not just error 404 we’ve got to worry about, it is the anti-virus software which decides that every action requires approval and the operating system deciding that as it is a Tuesday it will have a little think about that one first.

What really worries me is when the bored little runt in the back seat of the car next to you realises that his smart phone is cleverer than your truck and takes control of all your little gizmos! I suggested this to one of the managers at London Gateway when he was bragging about clever the new dockside straddles will be-no drivers just locators set in the concrete-and the colour drained from his face!!! If they can hack the Pentagon, Volvo, Scanias et al will be no problem and probably more fun.

Beau Nydel:
What really worries me is when the bored little runt in the back seat of the car next to you realises that his smart phone is cleverer than your truck and takes control of all your little gizmos! I suggested this to one of the managers at London Gateway when he was bragging about clever the new dockside straddles will be-no drivers just locators set in the concrete-and the colour drained from his face!!! If they can hack the Pentagon, Volvo, Scanias et al will be no problem and probably more fun.

And it has been proved possible.
wired.com/2015/07/hackers-re … p-highway/

Juddian:

Great post.

The trucks at the company where I drive regularly have ACC/AEBS/LDW/PCC and a load of other “Safety Features”

The ACC - It is amazing, you set off at ramming speed, and it keeps you 50m behind any slower vehicle, if they slow down, so do you, you pull out to overtake and off you go again at ramming speed. This should be in all vehicles and really does give you a more chilled out drive, it prevents people getting frustrated and it takes all the stress out of roadworks and heavy traffic.

AEBS - No real experience, got a false alarm coming out of a tunnel and it beeped and went off again (Luckily no sharp braking!)

LDW - Yep, great idea, works well, you don’t realise how many times you drift up to the line when grabbing the flask :laughing:

PCC - Well, that is a shower of ■■■■. Great idea but does not take into account the moron in the pallet network/tipper truck 5 meters behind you. The last thing they expect you to do before the brow of a hill is free wheel from 90km/h to 80km/h then take off down the hill at 97km/h.

Auto Lights - Well, I tend to over-ride them because the trailer is not lit up in “Poor visibility” like rain or fog.

Auto-Wipers - Great idea, Variable speed and turns themselves on and off without thinking about it.

Personally I like most of the newer features, it’s just a shame that more fleet operators will not put their hands in their pockets and pay out for it.

Juddian:

But so are you.

SEDriver:
The trucks at the company where I drive regularly have ACC/AEBS/LDW/PCC and a load of other “Safety Features”

The ACC - It is amazing, you set off at ramming speed, and it keeps you 50m behind any slower vehicle, if they slow down, so do you, you pull out to overtake and off you go again at ramming speed. This should be in all vehicles and really does give you a more chilled out drive, it prevents people getting frustrated and it takes all the stress out of roadworks and heavy traffic.

I think I would have loved ACC, it sounds brilliant. I used to try and hang back a bit further try and predict what the traffic ahead would do and click up or down a few notches, but when you hang back too far others come into the space and zb it all up.

I just loved cruise control, at the time they came out I was having lots of problems with my right calf muscle cramping up on long days, sitting for too long with the leg in the same position, used to sometimes have to keep stopping every so often and and go for a short walk to get my leg to work properly - Cruise Control was a god send for me.

I have yet to come across auto wipers on a lorry which work properly, however my Honda car which is 10 years old can manage it fine!

The new style adaptive cruise control is a bloody nightmare, and possibly dangerous too. Seemingly random slowing down (in order to make you look stupid). Periodic freewheeling then the computer decides to try and catch the runaway lorry with the exhaust brake (normally too late). Can this really save fuel? From an involvement point of view, it means more work for me as I need to keep an eye out for the next bit of madness it decides to do in the name of economy or driver comfort.

Lane assist sounds ok in principle, but lets say you drive at night down a deserted duel carriageway like the A30 to Cornwall, you might let it drift a bit on purpose, at which point you would switch the warning off before it drives you mad.

Proximity sensors seem to warn you of leaves blowing past 10 meters away.

The radar assisted cruise sounds good as I might have more time to butter my toast in the morning. However, not so good if you are trying to overtake and you can’t close up a bit on the lorry in front.

cheersdrive:
I have yet to come across auto wipers on a lorry which work properly, however my Honda car which is 10 years old can manage it fine!

You clearly haven’t driven any decent lorries then. I have no problem with them at all.

cheersdrive:
The new style adaptive cruise control is a bloody nightmare, and possibly dangerous too. Seemingly random slowing down (in order to make you look stupid). Periodic freewheeling then the computer decides to try and catch the runaway lorry with the exhaust brake (normally too late). Can this really save fuel? From an involvement point of view, it means more work for me as I need to keep an eye out for the next bit of madness it decides to do in the name of economy or driver comfort.

This is not Adaptive Cruise, this is Predictive Cruise that you are describing I think. ACC is fine. PCC is annoying but OK, if it causes you a problem behind me, maybe you shouldn’t be so ■■■■■■■ close.

cheersdrive:
Lane assist sounds ok in principle, but lets say you drive at night down a deserted duel carriageway like the A30 to Cornwall, you might let it drift a bit on purpose, at which point you would switch the warning off before it drives you mad.

You can turn it off if you want, but overall its good.

cheersdrive:
Proximity sensors seem to warn you of leaves blowing past 10 meters away.

Now your just taking the ■■■■. The EABS Proximity sensor would never do that.

cheersdrive:
The radar assisted cruise sounds good as I might have more time to butter my toast in the morning. However, not so good if you are trying to overtake and you can’t close up a bit on the lorry in front.

Why? You set the follow distance (for me 50m is the norm). Just because your overtaking, it does not give you Carte Blanche to sit up the arse end of another vehicle.

Juddian:

Spot on.

Juddian:

People need to embrace technology,not think up doomsday scenarios because they fear it…how many planes drop out of the sky everyday because the pilot uses auto pilot?
HGV driving is not brain surgery,although plenty like to make out it is especially to outsiders,it’s 1-4 day course and a 1 hours test away for anyone over legal age…let’s not forget that.

xichrisxi:
HGV driving is not brain surgery,although plenty like to make out it is especially to outsiders,it’s 1-4 day course and a 1 hours test away for anyone over legal age…let’s not forget that.

Which equips you so well you’ll find yourself taking ages to reverse the thing anywhere remotely accurately, axle weights most likely overweight when you’re placed in charge of deciding what goes where and your load going all over the shop. There is a reason employers want 2 years experience and its precisely because the test doesn’t equip you with the skills needed to do the job.