Adaban Services LDD July 1976 Part 1

From july 1976 for Axorman, sorry but ive only got part 1, for more pics youll need august 76s copy.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Hello nianiamh,

Thats the one, hope someone has part 2 and that has fotos of the derv tank.

If anyone is interested here is a link to a couple of my models

public.fotki.com/Pinball17/

Thanks

Ron

well, I found august 76 issue and what a disappointment - less than 2 pages of text and 3 B&W photos of the merc, one from far away and one from very far away, and all 3 are the offside so no help I think ron? :frowning:

thought i’d flick through the rest of the mag and theres a letter from a “J” Taylor off Carmans Brit European, rather slating the previous month’s article (part 1) for portraying drivers on the middle east as scruffy animals - the mere thought of it eh? :wink: :laughing:

jj72:
well, I found august 76 issue and what a disappointment - less than 2 pages of text and 3 B&W photos of the merc, one from far away and one from very far away, and all 3 are the offside so no help I think ron? :frowning:

thought i’d flick through the rest of the mag and theres a letter from a “J” Taylor off Carmans Brit European, rather slating the previous month’s article (part 1) for portraying drivers on the middle east as scruffy animals - the mere thought of it eh? :wink: :laughing:

Fancy that!I am an I Taylor,and I was driving M/E for Carmans Brit European in '76.Don’t remember submitting anything to Truck mag.,but then you never know,it was a long time ago.If you can scan and post the item,it may ring a few bells.

sorry ian, had just presumed they got the initial wrong and was being tongue in cheek - it reads:

Drip-Feed Reporter

I have just collected the July edition of your excellent magazine and upon seeing the cover picture I though, at long last, we are going to hear the truth about the Middle East run. But as the story progressed I was amazed at the way some people live on this job, although I must admit I come across similarly ill-equipped individuals on every trip I make.

How many people run out of gas after 3 days on a trip that’s going to last a month or more? Or exist on chewing gum or crackers for breakfast? I hope you get your Philip Llewellin back before he suffers too much from malnutrition. It really does convey the impression that we live like animals to anyone who didn’t know better.

On every trip I think of some small improvement I can carry out to make life a little more comfortable on the next one. On my last run, to Teheran, I devised a shower, because after a hot, dusty day in Teheran customs there’s nothing better than a shower before going to bed. And I wouldn’t dream of starting the day without my breakfast of cereal and milk, bacon and eggs and coffee.

I look forward to next month’s issue (August) [?] expecting to find your reporter in a Turkish hospital on a glucose drip!

J Taylor
Camrans [sic] / Brit European Transport
Staffs

and all for a mag thats 30p!

fantastic pics and read, cheers!

jj72:
sorry ian, had just presumed they got the initial wrong and was being tongue in cheek - it reads:

Drip-Feed Reporter

I have just collected the July edition of your excellent magazine and upon seeing the cover picture I though, at long last, we are going to hear the truth about the Middle East run. But as the story progressed I was amazed at the way some people live on this job, although I must admit I come across similarly ill-equipped individuals on every trip I make.

How many people run out of gas after 3 days on a trip that’s going to last a month or more? Or exist on chewing gum or crackers for breakfast? I hope you get your Philip Llewellin back before he suffers too much from malnutrition. It really does convey the impression that we live like animals to anyone who didn’t know better.

On every trip I think of some small improvement I can carry out to make life a little more comfortable on the next one. On my last run, to Teheran, I devised a shower, because after a hot, dusty day in Teheran customs there’s nothing better than a shower before going to bed. And I wouldn’t dream of starting the day without my breakfast of cereal and milk, bacon and eggs and coffee.

I look forward to next month’s issue (August) [?] expecting to find your reporter in a Turkish hospital on a glucose drip!

J Taylor
Camrans [sic] / Brit European Transport
Staffs

Do you know,I’ve absolutely no recollection of writing that,but it is definitely in my style.I was driving for Carmans,(Brit European) from '74 to '77 and to the best of my knowledge,I was the only Taylor on at the time.
Incidentally,I did go to Teheran in '76 in my Transcon,and if anyone was ever in Teheran customs,what a hole.A dirty,stinking,dusty flyblown hole with just one water tap sticking up in the midle of the park.
That was when the Shah was still in power and it was great at the time,at least you could get a drink.When I went again in '83 driving for Expo Freight,the Ayatolla was there and it was bloody scary,the punishment for being drunk was the death penalty!
On that first ocassion,I was waiting in customs for a week!,so one had to set up a shower to make life a little more comfortable.I was in company with a couple of smashing lads driving for Barton’s of Nottingham,yes,the bus company.They actually had some trucks on the M/E run!
On one of my photo galleries I have some pics of me and the Barton’s lads with our rigs parked round a derelict trailer with a shower set up on the headboard.We spent a week drinking tea,telling tales and going to bed at night CLEAN!

Mount Ararat on the Russian border,as seen from the border crossing between Turkey and Iran.According to the Bible,it’s where Noah’s Ark landed after the flood.Acording to drivers at the time,it was where the end of the queue was to get out of Iran!If you see some of the pictures on the Toprun site by other contributors,they show the queues,miles of trucks just trying to get out of Iran.I have been in that queue!

Part 2 coming up thanks to DEANB