Ad blue

Stupid question in a way.
But I have recently treated myself to a newish diesel car. And it has an ad blue tank. Am I right In thinking the ad blue I use in my truck will go in my car.
Is it all the same.

What did the dealer say when you asked him?

Yes it’s the same stuff, but it doesn’t need filling up very often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The boss at work using the same ibc stuff that we use for the trucks.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

So if I was able to obtain an ad blue container from work should be fine and last me a good few months

Yes. I fill my pickup up at the hgv adblue pumps. 60k an no.issues.

AdBlue is used in many cars. And AdBlue is AdBlue…
But some other makers use a different chemical additive. Citröen for example use a different type of additive. Only requires filling every 20k miles or so. But it costs a lot more than AdBlue.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:
But some other makers use a different chemical additive. Citröen for example use a different type of additive. Only requires filling every 20k miles or so. But it costs a lot more than AdBlue.

Hmmmm well I have Citroen berlingo. Fow never mentioned it used ad blue. Only noticed when I went fuel up as almost empty when I got it . If I was to ask fow they probably won’t have a clue.
Maybe I need to read through the hand book then

edd1974:

Franglais:

Hmmmm well I have Citroen berlingo. Fow never mentioned it used ad blue. Only noticed when I went fuel up as almost empty when I got it . If I was to ask fow they probably won’t have a clue.

Just looked again. Some PSA engines use EOLYS ? fluid. One tank of 5litres is good for about 80k miles! Definitely different to AdBlue. The tank is located under the vehicle. Not a normal daily check item of course. Garage will ask two or three hundred quid to fill it and reset computer.

edd1974:
So if I was able to obtain an adblue container and steal some adblue from work should be fine and last me a good few months

FTFY

Btw even home bargains and Morrisons sell the stuff for £10-£15 a can

Yeah same stuff, I used to deliver it to Jaguar Land Rover as well as forecourts, all comes out of the same plant.

Keep your container completely free of contamination though and if you use an old can which has been sitting a while, swill it out with fresh Adblue before you fill it up.

Also, use Adblue which has been sat around longer than 2 years, it goes funny.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Franglais:

edd1974:

Franglais:

Just looked again. Some PSA engines use EOLYS ? fluid. One tank of 5litres is good for about 80k miles! Definitely different to AdBlue. The tank is located under the vehicle. Not a normal daily check item of course. Garage will ask two or three hundred quid to fill it and reset computer.

My old Volvo had EOLYS - it’s supposed to be filled at 80k service and as you’ve pointed out lasts for another 80k

Volvo wanted -£350 plus vat when it needed doing . Previous owner didn’t have it done.

I went to one of those DPF cleaner services and they did it and reset computer for £100 all in with the chemical DPF clean. Prob cheaper if you just want the system filled and reset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Franglais:

edd1974:

Franglais:

Eolys fluid or Pat fluid. It was used on the early DPF equipped engines by PSA/FORD and possibly others. It is dpf fluid for helping to burn off the soot in the DPF. Nothing remotely like adblue. I don’t know of any cars that use pat fluid anymore as they changed to coated ceramic dpf filters as they were more reliable than the fluid based ones. My 55 plate focus diesel had a pat fluid tank and yes it needed topping up at a regular interval.

claretmatt:
Yeah same stuff, I used to deliver it to Jaguar Land Rover as well as forecourts, all comes out of the same plant.

Keep your container completely free of contamination though and if you use an old can which has been sitting a while, swill it out with fresh Adblue before you fill it up.

Also, use Adblue which has been sat around longer than 2 years, it goes funny.

We buy it in 20l drums, it says “do not store in direct sunlight” yet you see it in full sun on the the forecourt

From what can make out. After hours on Google my Citroen The add blue has no gauge. A light comes on then you have about 500 miles to fill it up. Once full your good for 20000 miles. Although a lot of people are saying once you have refilled it the light won’t go off
Have to book it into main dealer charge you 100s to connect it to pc.and turn light off

edd1974:
From what can make out. After hours on Google my Citroen The add blue has no gauge. A light comes on then you have about 500 miles to fill it up. Once full your good for 20000 miles. Although a lot of people are saying once you have refilled it the light won’t go off
Have to book it into main dealer charge you 100s to connect it to pc.and turn light off

Looks like it isnt AdBlue then. It is a fluid used to clean up the exhaust but as I suggested it is probably the EOLYS or as Simcor says the same as PAT fluid. You can get a kit to refill it, and it is possible to get the computer reset outside of the Main Dealers. Try the citroen owners club uk site. They may have a member close to you with the relevant (Lexia) software etc. There is no gauge as you say. The computer does it on "dead reckoning" from the amount of fuel used. Only a gramme or two is injected for every litre of fuel used. Thats why top ups are so infrequent.
DON`T put AdBlue in if it needs EOLYS ! :smiley:

Perosnally i think adblue is a con . Causes more harm than it solves.
Is supposed to lower emissions.keeps engines clean etc .
Fair enough not sure how.much it lowers emmisons and helps.

But take into account the manufacturing process. Transporting it to petrol stations shops etc

And then there’s the empty containers you see evweyware.
All that plastic in.this day and age when we’re for ever told plastic is bad. And don’t think there recyclable.
So it’s good for emissions etc yet the empty containers are bad for the environment

edd1974:

But take into account the manufacturing process. Transporting it to petrol stations shops etc

All that plastic in.this day and age when we’re for ever told plastic is bad. And don’t think there recyclable.
So it’s good for emissions etc yet the empty containers are bad for the environment

Oh dear… How can you say definitively that it’s a con, but then say in the next sentence you have no idea how much it reduces harmful emissions?

The stupid, it burns

edd1974:

So you don’t know anything about it at all other than how to fill the truck but despite your sum knowledge about it fitting on a postage stamp with room to spare you’ve decided it is a con.

If you want to know how much it reduces emissions look at the Euro 6 levels of NOx compared to early 1990’s spec when NOx emission limits first came into force. Prior to 1992 there were no limits. NOx is massively toxic to humans.

Euro 6 NOx: 0.08g/km
Euro 1 NOx: 0.97g/km

Adblue has enabled a reduction in NOx emissions of 91.75% from Euro 1 limits and god knows how much from pre-Euro 1 so I’d say it was far from being a con.

And whilst we’re on it no doubt you think DPF filters are a con too. Remember when you could easily spot a diesel car by how much black crap it threw out the back and how the rear bumper around the exhaust was always covered in soot? When was the last time you saw a car fitted with a DPF filter with any of that? Mine is on 137k and doesn’t and all that black crap they used to spew out you used to breathe. Being sat in rush hour traffic is far healthier today than it used to be thanks to Adlbue and DPF filters.

Conor:

edd1974:

So you don’t know anything about it at all other than how to fill the truck but despite your sum knowledge about it fitting on a postage stamp with room to spare you’ve decided it is a con.

If you want to know how much it reduces emissions look at the Euro 6 levels of NOx compared to early 1990’s spec when NOx emission limits first came into force. Prior to 1992 there were no limits. NOx is massively toxic to humans.

Euro 6 NOx: 0.08g/km
Euro 1 NOx: 0.97g/km

Adblue has enabled a reduction in NOx emissions of 91.75% from Euro 1 limits and god knows how much from pre-Euro 1 so I’d say it was far from being a con.

And whilst we’re on it no doubt you think DPF filters are a con too. Remember when you could easily spot a diesel car by how much black crap it threw out the back and how the rear bumper around the exhaust was always covered in soot? When was the last time you saw a car fitted with a DPF filter with any of that? Mine is on 137k and doesn’t and all that black crap they used to spew out you used to breathe. Being sat in rush hour traffic is far healthier today than it used to be thanks to Adlbue and DPF filters.

Ad blue didn’t come in until euro 4